“Cool place to visit”
Review of Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Barre
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest quarry.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Cool place to visit”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We got there too late to take a tour (thus only 4 stars) but the helpful woman at the visitor center gave us great info. So, we saw the manufacturing plant (from the viewing area) and watched the video. The video answered many of our questions about how the granite is actually mined. And we then went to see the previous mining area which was interesting. Looking forward to a return trip with a tour.

1 Thank CJGinFL

New Jersey
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“We dug it :)”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was an unusual excursion for us. We took the guided tour, and paid the extra for my kids to sandblast their own decorative piece- because really how often do you get to sandblast? The guide was knowledgable. We learned about the history of the mine and viewed the large quarry area. We even saw a tiny explosion (controlled and on purpose, no worries!). Be sure to walk through the plant after the tour so you can see the stones being carved. My kids enjoyed the the sandblasting and the folks working there were very nice to them.

1 Thank exit130
Westfield, New Jersey
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Awesome Anytime (but try to go on a weekday)”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I learned about Rock of Ages through the Moon Guide for Vermont. My rule of thumb is if Moon Guide thinks a place is quirky, it is going to be awesome! Rock of Ages did not disappoint. Our arrival time allowed us to view the film prior to the tour. I recommend this approach because the film prepares you for your quarry tour by providing information on the process the guide describes and the machinery that you see in the quarry. (I visited on a Saturday, so no one was working in the quarry or the carving studio -- maybe if you go on a weekday the film is unnecessary). Our guide was a former high school teacher who spent summers working in the quarry - he was very informative and could answer any question. In addition to the mind-blowing quarry, other highlights are the granite bowling alley, and the free granite samples. The museum and gift shop are a bit lame, but that's not what I came to see. I recommend Rock of Ages to everyone - young, old, children, and teenagers. I'm returning on a weekday with my family so I can view all the action!

2 Thank Sierra M
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Very, very cool!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This place is pretty awesome. There aren't many like this that you can visit so if you're in the area, definitely stop here. There is a cool gift shop and the tour is chock full of fun facts. The view into the quarry from the top is awesome and a little scary, too. If you like to learn how things works, this is a must.

Visited May 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very interesting and real”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was a very impressive side trip. Tour was very real and I left with some great appreciation and learning of the rock industry. Tour guide was very personable.