“Excellent food...service good when we were there on a Monday lunch.”
Review of Asian Gourmet

Asian Gourmet
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Barre
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Went to this restaurant on a whim. My friend and I were trying to decide where to eat, and we were craving asian. The streets were torn up because there was still construction going on after Hurricane Irene. We saw this storefront and my friend said she heard it just opened and it was great food.

It was a Monday just after the lunch hour, and with the road construction, it was very quiet. Service was excellent. The place is clean, including the restroom. There is a sushi bar with room for 4-5 people. One person was sitting there. We were placed in a sunny room with 4 small tables. A couple of people came in to order takeout.

I had a rainbow roll that was just the right amount of food and was very good. My friend had crab rangoons that she loved and sushi. The food came in about 20 minutes after serving, which was fine for us because it was a social lunch, and we were in no hurry. Prices were good.

A definite place to try.

There are newer reviews for Asian Gourmet

Reviewed 30 October 2012

The food was great. Great selection and great quality. Service needs to be improved with better training. Maybe over time that will be fixed. Overall, I would recommend to friends and family.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Went to dinner here and the place is very nice. The inside is clean, bright and modern, with an Asian twist.

The comedy started before we'd even reached our table. The place was busy but one table had just been vacated so a young waitress started to clear it for us. She picked up the plates and went off with them, came back picked up the glasses and went off, came back, picked up the debris, went off again, came back realised she needed a cloth, went and got it and finally we got to sit down. any trained waitress would have got a tray and a cloth and done it in one step.

We ordered drinks, starters, and main. Waited ages for anything. Finally the drinks arrived. There were two other tables near us and I could see that the two young couples were starting to get irate about the service. It appeared to me that then our waitress caught my eye, rushed across the restaurant, picked up her pad and dashed off to the kitchen. I think she forgot to place our order.

One starter arrived, but no sign of the other. Then our main courses arrive, which included my starter. I was so hungry by now I was in no mood to send it back wait further, although I did complain to the waitress. To be fair the chef did send our two extra bowls of soup on the house to appologies for the wait.

Both the young couples had ordered hot food and sushi, the hot food arrived but they'd virtually finished that before the sushi appeared.

There seems to be young waiting staff dashing back and forth in a totally chaotic way, plus they have two sushi chefs out front and a separate kitchen, and no coordination between the two. We got talking to the two young couples who were locals and we had a good laugh about it, they said its always like that.

The place has apparently been open since 1st August, so they really should have their act together by now. The food is excellent and someone has spent a lot of money setting this place up, but someone needs to step in and train the waiting staff better and manage service.

I hope this place succeeds, I would go back for the quality of food and the entertainment.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

A fairly new place - We'd been hearing mixed reviews and finally got to try for ourselves. Service was a bit slow (20 min to get seated & another 20 min before server took our order) on the night we went, but others have told us its very good service at slower times. We had mixed opinions on the remodeling - but that's not why you'd go there. I ordered a Bento Box. This is the 5 star part of the review. Enough food for lunch the next day as well and it was all delicious. Salmon sushi roll, shrimp dumplings, pork dumplings, sesame chicken w/ rice, miso soup & a salad. The salad was a tad over dressed - my only complaint. My partner ordered the Pad Thai. This is the 1 star part of the review. It was a noodle dish with shrimp in it and a few "grounded peanuts" on top. There the similarity to Pad Thai ended. The flavor could not have been further from accurate. My partner picked out the shrimp and went home hungry as she found the rest inedible. I would have at least been able to tolerate it as a Sesame Noodle Dish - but calling it "Pad Thai" is practically criminal. I'll have to order take-out to get my Bento Box again.