“Affordable and nice cabin, a bit small though”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barton
Pine Crest Motel and Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barton
Montreal, Canada
“Affordable and nice cabin, a bit small though”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed in Pine Crest in fall foliage season when other hotels were pretty expensive. The cabin was well maintained and really affordable. Being near a small river was a plus. The 4-person cabin was really small, though it served the purpose well.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We recently stayed in a two-room cabin. A little cramped for the four of us (two adults and two kids) but the rustic cabin was very clean and comfortable. There was also a kitchen sink, fridge and microwave as well as utensils and dishes. There was also a picnic table and BBQ. Very quiet and peaceful especially with the river right across the way. Not too much traffic on the adjacent highway either. You do however have to look for places to eat (we ate at the nearby Snack Shack). The owner Jay was also very helpful. Overall a great place to stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Canuck74
wilmington
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and i and our 2 dogs just spent 7 days in this pet friendly cabin, we had 1 bedroom and another room that they made into a living room, a small but good enough size for us kitchen and a bathroom. We also had an area with a small sink to do dishes. We had a dorm size fridge, a microwave, a toaster oven, an a hot plate that we used quite a bit.outside this cabin we had a good size porch with 2 adirondeck chairs that we spent alot of time in. They have a built in pool, and behind that is a river that flows right through the property. They supply charcoal grills and a picnick table at each cottage.All cottages are pet friendly. We met alot of people from places like, Iowa, New York, Conn. and alot of people from Canada. At the time we were there the owners who are from Fort Myers beach in Florida wer on the property doing all kinds of renovations and they were a joy to talk to. Jay the person that runs the place a d Michael who works for him with a couple of other people go out of there way to make you feel at home, can say we will go back there again next year

Room Tip: really depends on what you are looking for, when you go on line to book a cottage read all the ament...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Ajax
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Accomodation is very limited in the Brownington / Barton / Orleans area with no brand names and only a few bed and breakfasts at $100+ per night. Having read previous Tripadvisor reviews I chose the Pine Crest motel and cabins to spend a week while attending a timber framing project at the Old Stone House Museum near by.

Jay, the owner / operator is very accomodating and gave me a number of options over the phone and choice between the motel and cabins. His cancellation policy impressed me, call before you arrive and there is no cancellation fee. I chose the motel end unit (#6 - Eagles Nest) hoping for a nice quiet spot with plenty of room.

On arrival I had a quick look at the "cabins" which were close together, quite small and had a number of guests booked in. I stuck with the motel room with lovely pine decor, two single and one double bed, larger TV and large propane heater (temperature in the 40s at night)

The room was very clean, quite big, had large windows, contained a fridge and microwave, sit down table with a pull out bench seat, bath with a shower and satelite TV. None of the unts or cabins are air conditioned. The room was lacking in shampoo and cleanex? They also do not have phone service in the rooms. The only lock on the door was the door nob so a security latch might be added to make guests feel a little more secure.

It is in a lovely location with lots of hills, winding roads, a stone bride, river running through the property and a swimming pool which was not open yet.

The highway (#5?) runs right in front of the motel and bends around near the cabins and is busy during the day with limited traffic at night. It is so close that most vehicles are heard and ear plugs were required to sleep. The motel was very quiet even when a number of new customers stayed on the weekend. Most were just passing through and gone early in the am.

My only major complaint to the owner was that all three large windows did not have curtains that blocked the sun, the motels large light, etc.. They were almost a see through fabrick and even when a bed sheet was put over them the light could not be blocked.

WiFi is advertised and although they have two seperate systems I spent many hours trying to make mine work (strong signal but would not connect?) I could use the internet for brief periods of time then loose it as it said the server could not recognize my computer. After working with Jay with no success he mentioned that there was a library in Orleans with free WiFi in the parking lot. After a quick five minute drive I was able to use the internet there with no problem. Orleans is the only local spot to get "diesel" fuel also.

Coming from Ontario (Canada) I did find some of the local traffic procedures a little confusing. Some roads have adequate speed signs while others rely on signs very near the towns to let you know the speed limit. In one case I asked three different residents what the speed was and got three different answers? You also have to be carefull about "pedestians" crossing whether on their own or at small signs posted on the side of the road. From what I was told "any" pedestrian has the right of way no matter where they are walking across the street and it is up to the driver to stop and give them the right of way. Of course there are no traffic lights in this area.

Any one in this area should make a point of visiting the Old Stone House museum in Brownington, the site where our Timber Framer Guild project built and held a barn raising to replace one which burned many years ago. The "museum" is actually a small town that has been kept in its original condition and was the location of the first school in the area. The large four story granit "house" is the center piece and contains a wealth of antiques ranging from the toy room, tool room, library, civil war collection, etc.. It is just across from the lookout from which you can view lake W? which looks right into Quebec and is the perfect spot to view the sunset.

Room Tip: I might try a cabin next time. A little farther from the highway and not as bright.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank BigBlue01
Ipswich, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I LOVE this place! I've stayed here twice, in the Raccoon Retreat, and have had family stay in the Lynx Lair. Cozy and clean, with your own little grill out front plus grassy area next to the stream that has a spot prepared for small bonfire. Wasn't pool time either time I stayed, but it looks in very good shape. Jay,Taryn, and the kids truly make you feel at home, right down to the kitties marching across the desk while you check in. Really laid back spot. Easy and pleasant drive to it from the highway. A really great spot run by really nice people.

Room Tip: The rooms/cabins are fully described on the website, something to match everyone's needs.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Seaspell
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I chose "Rustic Charming Cabins" as a title, since my sister already took "Charming Rustic Cabins"

My two teenage daughters, husband,dog and I spent four nights at the Pine Crest Motel and Cabins in the motel (in Cougar Cave), while we visited my uncle's family in Brownington, Vt. The room was cute, rustic and well- maintained. The motel faces the road, but it was still a pretty area, even though there was a car lot across the road. The cabins are further down the driveway and face the woods and river. It was surprisingly not noisy, even though it was close to the road.

There were four beds, a small tv, a dining table, toaster oven, microwave, coffee maker, sink, stove, oven, full-sized refrigerator, pots and pans, dishes, silverware and a few utensils. I wish I had brought my own cast-iron frying pan and knife, since they both were barely usable. We still managed to make good meals in the room.

The beds were ok, not bad, not great. The shower and sink in the bathroom were clean and worked fine. The Wifi worked just fine.

It rained when we had a chance to swim, but my husband and daughter swam anyway and had a good time in the clean pool. We also didn't get a chance to use the fire pit with chairs around it, but wish we had.

The cabins looked charming, lined up towards the river, with little porches and picnic tables out front, but they were full when we wanted to stay.

The owners were very nice and helped us with rainy day plans.

It was quiet, even when road workers stayed next door midweek. We would stay at Pine Crest Motel and Cabins again, and just bring our own knife and pan.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MinneapolisKyle
Reviewed 25 August 2011

On a trip to visit our realtives in Brownington, my family and I stayed in two of the motel rooms, which were fine, but I wish we had stayed in cabins! (They were full when we booked.)

Jay and his wife were very friendly and accommodating. I arrived quite early, and they cleaned my room so I could check in.

My bed was quite comfortable, and I slept well. Didn't even try the TV, but appreciated the coffee maker and the microwave.

I will stay here again when we visit the Northern Kingdom.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NaMacD2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barton
Jay Peak Resort
#1 of 1 in Jay
Colonnade Inn
Colonnade Inn
#1 of 1 in Lyndonville

Been to Pine Crest Motel and Cabins? Share your experiences!