“a gem in the green moutains”

Bennington Station Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Ocala, Florida
“a gem in the green moutains”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I had dinner here last night and it was one of the very best we have had. The restaurant is situated in an old railroad station which has been lovingly maintained. It is constructed of massive granite blocks and dark wood, With the great ambience the service and food was as expected. The special of lobster,diver scallops and shrimp in a tasty light sauce served over pasta was great. We had dessert of a crème bruille and an apple crisp which both very good,

1 Thank Skip S

Potsdam, New York
“Large portions in a nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were just walk-in's with no reservations yet were seated almost immediately. The decor has sort of an old world charm reminiscent of a by-gone era. It seems to attract a slightly older crowd; so if you are looking for a hip new in place this is not it. There is a wide selection on the menu and portions are large. The salad bar is also included in the price of the meal. There are also a host of daily specials not on the menu. The meat was cooked to perfection and the vegetables were clearly fresh and not canned or frozen. Drinks are well poored and the wine-list is a bit limited with mostly lower end yet acceptable wines.

The service was excellent and our waiter was attentive, friendly, and knowledgable. They had classical piano music in the background on weekends and overall a nice evening was had. That having been said the only complaint we had was the food could have been a bit more seasoned. It was somewhat bland and the sauces were a bit off.

3 Thank jorge g
Crofton, Maryland
“A great dining experience!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stopping in Bennington for an overnight on my way further north and needed a place to eat nearby and the Bennington Station restaurant was recommended and did not disappoint. I chose one of the dinner specials, the filet covered with lobster meat and hollandaise sauce. While waiting I enjoyed a very nice, fresh salad bar and a glass of house Pinot Noir which were also very good. When the filet arrived my server announced that the chef had declared a steak knife was unnecessary (she gave me one anyway) and he was not wrong. I could indeed cut the meat with a fork and it was cooked to perfection (medium) and tasted great. The sides (rice, squash and string beans) were also well prepared and tasty and complimented the meal nicely. Aside from the food, the restaurant itself is well appointed and suited the fine dining menu that I was somewhat surprised to find in such a small town. I've very glad I stopped by and should I find myself in the area again I will definitely eat there!

2 Thank steve B
vermont
“excellent choice with friends”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

friends here from NC and where to go for dinner? bennington station was suggested and so happy we went. quiet tuesday night and service quick. all entree's excellent...vermont chicken so big i had enough for lunch next day, sirloin tips and salmon no complaints at all. nice salad bar selection. all was great for food and visit!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank ernurse41
PA
“Good choice”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

No reservation was necessary and we were immediately seated when we arrived. Our waitress was very pleasant even to another table who were complainers. We ordered clam chowder and it did not disappoint. Large serving plentiful with clams. Our entree was a local special....chicken stuffed with apples and Cabot cheese with a maple glaze. It was huge and we ended up having to leave 1/2 of it there as we were flying out the next morning. It was tasty....the apples even had a slight crunch to them, not mushy. Salad bar had plenty of choices. Vegetables were a bit over cooked. We thought the meal and service was great. I would suggest that they wash their windows more often and get rid of all of the plants and fake flowers.....distracts from the beauty of the structure.

• Visited June 2014