“Great fish”

Ranked #10 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A real working British fish and chips shop in Bennington run by Brits
Vermont
“Great fish”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have had lots of fish and french fries over the years, but the authentic British fish and chips served here ranks as some of the very bests I have had anywhere. We stopped in not long before closing, but were warmly greeted and our fish was ready in short order. It was very fresh and thick cut and a very generous portion for the "small size"....I can only imagine how big the large portion is. The batter was light and crunchy and just right, and the chips were browned and very tasty. I went native and ordered mashed peas as the side instead of my usual cole slaw, and they were interesting to say the least, sort of like a very thick pea soup, but fresh tasting and a good compliment to the fish. i would get them again, cole slaw you can find from coast to coast, buy mashy peas? those are unique.
We didnt spend much time soaking up the atmosphere because our food was done up fast to go, but it was clean and inviting enough, and we will probably eat our food there next time to get it while its hot and fresh. its now a must stop for us when we go through Bennington

• Visited April 2014

Long Island, NY
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

After reading the trip advisor reviews I stopped here on a recent trip. I've never been to England but I can say they have the best fish and chips I've ever had. The interior is not much to look at. I really wish it was a casual restaurant instead of fast food take out. But either way the food is fantastic.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank briny319
Schenectady, New York
“A taste of home”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Been through Bennington many times but missed this gem until today. Fish was good and the steak pie was excellent. Chips were a good mix of English crisp v soggy. Gravy for the pie was as near as you can get to UK chippy gravy. Nice to see curry, bangers and chip buttys on the menu. Now I know it's there, will be worth the 3/4 hour run there just to get a good English supper !

• Visited December 2013
“Great authentic English food”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I have worked for an English couple for years and they have tought me all about there home cuisine, and I have tried all of it. When I found out about this place I was very excited.I went there and tried a few different dishes, and I must say I was very pleased with the food. The decor is great and I had a very enjoyable time.

New York
“Regular Columbus Day weekend customers”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've been here on a yearly basis and am never disappointed with the standard of the fish and chips.
It does take a little wait because it is made to order but when it does come it's very hot, crispy and tasty and actually have to wait a bit because it is so hot. I usually order the small fish and chips because you get one large filet and a generous potion of fries.
Will definitely be back when in the area.

• Visited October 2013