“What a Vermont Motor Inn should be!”

Bennington Motor Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Bennington
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My husband and I spent 1 night in Bennington, the Bennington Motor Inn was perfect! The room was like spending a night with Grandma! There were lace curtains a quilt and lace dust ruffle on the bed and the place was spotless! The bathroom was roomy and also spotless! This hotel was a great place to spend a night. It is not new, but it was very clear the owners are working very hard to run their business well. We would stay again if we ever come to Bennington again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2009

My daughter, a friend and I stayed here one night in late May 2009. We were very late arriving due to various circumstances, but when we got there around 10:30 the host was very gracious and polite and even took us to our room to make sure everything was as it should be as I have stayed in other places that did not have the correct number of towels, etc. If you are accustomed to high-rise luxury hotels, do not stay here. BUT if you are looking for the old-fashioned charm of a mom-and-pop type of motel of yesteryear, this is the place for you. The 3 of us were impressed with the room, from the beautiful quilts on the beds to the pictures on the walls.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Great location, right in town, but with a wonderful Vermont atmosphere. The room was very clean and cheerful and quaintly decorated with real handmade quilts! The bathroom was spotless and the heating and hot water plentiful. A better-than-usual continental breakfast included bagels, cream cheese, juice, danishes, coffee/tea. And wireless internet!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2008

A friend of the family and I met up for a few days at the Bennington Motor Inn for "leaf peeping" season from Oct. 17- Oct. 20. She's older--about 83--and was given a room on the second floor. She has trouble climbing stairs and had to ask for a room on the first floor. They should have known that right away. Unfortunately, the managers, while fairly friendly, don't seem too concerned about customer service, which includes assigning the right rooms to the right people.

I took the single room (room 14) on the second floor and was surprised to note that the outside stairs are rickety and shaky. There is no elevator, so hauling things up and down the steps is not ideal, especially on the outside of the building.

I noted that the windows were open, though it was mid-October and fairly chilly outside. When I closed the windows, I noted that the screen on the right window was about to come apart, and the window itself was cracked and patched with masking tape! And this for $135 per night. The other window was slightly better but both should have been completely replaced. It looked as though they were depending on the cosmetic changes (new wallpaper, etc) to lure travelers to this place.

On my second night there, the deadbolt didn't work. I was forced to sleep with just the lock on the knob. There is no lock for the outside screen door to the room, so anyone can open it up. I propped a chair under the door knob for the night and the next day telephoned the front desk to report it. When I got back to my room, it wasn't working, so I called back. He told me that I had to "push slightly on the door" in order to get the bolt to turn. It worked but with difficulty. I think this is because the door appeared to be warped.

This place was built in 1960 but does not appear to have been taken care of. The porches slant and the stairs are rickety. I would not recommend this overpriced dump to anyone. Thankfully my friend and I were out most of the time and had to spend little time there. If I would have known this place was that bad, I would have canceled and waited till later to visit Vermont, leaf-peeping season or not.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 May 2008

This is a nice motel that has very bright, pleasant rooms that are much nicer than many of the motels in the area (e.g. Fox Inn in Northfield MA or Colonial Motel in Brattleboro, which are both dreary and run down). The noise was not a problem. There were some bikers staying over Memorial Day weekend and they hung out for a while in the evening, but everyone was polite and quiet. Good, reasonable choice for this area of VT.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2007

The Bennington Motor Inn is really a motel, not an inn. It's not clear from the photo on their website how close they are located to a major road. However, we found it to be an excellent deal for the price. The room was clean and had nice amenities, the front desk staff was very pleasant, and the complimentary breakfast was more than adequate.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 July 2007

This was the second Bennington motel I contacted- the first was filled. It was a little creepy, I thought. It was smaller than the AAA picture looked. We were given an upstairs room. Carried our bags up the rickety steps. The porch outside our door sloped downward. The room was small, but sufficient. But it looked worn to me. The bedspread was very old and the quilting flattened out. Could have sure used a replacement. I pulled it aside immediately. It gave me the creeps. The bathroom was old. I spent some time looking around for a peep hole. Too many movies, I guess. The very nice man at the desk gave us a referral for dinner at a place in town- it was FANTASTIC! I had an Italian dish.- baked ravioli, which was SUPERB! I wish I could remember the name! My husband loved the Hennings Gas Station across the street- a big deal to car enthusiasts, evidently! Well, the bed was comfortable and it was a place to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2007