“Walk back in time...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hemmings Motor News Filling Station

Hemmings Motor News Filling Station
Ranked #4 of 12 Shopping in Bennington
More attraction details
Owner description: Collectible cars on display and memorabilia for car lovers in the gift shop.
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Walk back in time...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We were vacationing in New England and while in Vermont visited Hemmings. We spent at least 2 hours here and my husband loved it. The gift shop has awesome car-related items and we purchased Christmas gifts here for the men on my list. This is a full service gas station and they have the black hose across the concrete that rings inside to notify the attendant. In fact there were a couple of other gas stations in Bennington with the black hose and offering full service. I loved the gift shop and I'm not a "car" person. The museum in the back was just as interesting and it was free. I sat on a bench and read my book while my husband enjoyed the museum. A great experience and not to be missed.

Visited October 2013

Kennebunkport, Maine
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Visit the car museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

the actual filling station isn't much- just a lot of stuff for sale. Go behind this to the museum, which is free, and see all the restored vehicles. Quite a stunning display (and I'm not a guy and I'm not even a woman who cares much about cars). My husband probably got more out of it than I. I think it is definitely a highlight of Bennington- worth a detour.

Visited October 2013
Lockport, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Memory Lane Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

My husband and I were coming back from taking our son to college, and as we passed the Hemmings company, he said he always wanted to stop there. So we turned around and stopped in. Memories of the 1970's popped into our heads, back when he used to drool over every issue of the Hemmings Motor News, while dreaming of someday owning one of the cars listed there. He was thrilled with the cars and displays in the small free museum and the tidbits that the guide told us. We saw one of the workers coming into work at the office, and the guide said that many of them have been there over 30 years. It was a great trip down memory lane!

Visited September 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Changes are often sad . . .”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

In 2002 after the death of the owner who had purchased the station from its founder, a North Carolina investment group purchased HMN. The original gas station has been replaced with a non-descript building with no characer or resemblance of the original gas station.

I rated it poor rather than terrible because of the free antique car exhibit.

Visited September 2013
New Hyde Park, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Car Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Visiting the Hemmings Motor News Filling Station is great fun for any person who loves classic cars. The filling station is a throw back to the 50s. There is a gift shop with cool t-shirts, toys, and metal signs. There is also a free museum in the back that has classic cars to look at. The museum volunteers are fun to talk to and knowledge about the cars on display. A great stop that will make any guy happy about the trip.

Visited August 2013