“Bakery & funky lunch place!”
Review of Crazy Russian Girls Bakery - CLOSED

Crazy Russian Girls Bakery
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Remember that neighborhood bakery you went to all the time when you were little? Remember the way it smelled and looked? The bakers at CRG are trying to bring back all those memories with our baked goods prepared right in front of your eyes. We use the finest ingredients including King Arthur Flours, Cabot Butter, Belgian Chocolates, and local seasonal produce. Our baked goods taste the way you remember they should. Products include Bread, bagels, a variety of sweet goods, as well as international soups, sandwiches, and hot specials. CRG's bakery and restaurant have been featured in Vermont Life Magazine and was awarded Yankee Magazine Editor's Choice for Best Bakery Lunch in New England 2015.
Albany, New York
“Bakery & funky lunch place!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Guess this should get an award for one of the most unusual bakery/restaurant names... This is a very casual place. It looks more like a bakery than a restaurant. When you 1st walk in, there are display cases of bakery goods on the left. Opposite on the right side are 4 booths with mismatched tables, appearing almost as an afterthought to the bakery. They offer a variety of soups. Their lunch sandwiches are all made with homemade bread, and they cook all their meats in-house. I had a Reuben, which came with a pickle, on black Russian bread. You could tell the corned beef & bread were homemade. My sandwich though could have been stepped up a notch with perhaps a little side of coleslaw or a few potato chips. My husband ordered a chicken sandwich that contained moist pieces of cooked chicken with nice greens. It had been slathered though with so much spicy Dijon mustard that it overpowered the taste of the sandwich & homemade bread. He tried to wipe the mustard off with a napkin but it didn't help much. My husband though didn't return it... Later, I did mention to the owner that I loved my sandwich but my husband had a problem with the amount of spicy mustard on his. She said she had gotten some new mustard & wished he'd told her earlier. She was friendly, apologized, & offered us a free dessert! She chose the restaurant name as her father is Russian, & initially she'd opened the bakery with one of her daughters. Although she's running it now with her husband, other family members are working there as well. Lastly, just FYI, there is an odd single unisex restroom down a long hallway, outside of the restaurant. If I lived in Bennington, I'd probably become a regular for the delicious sandwiches on homemade bread!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank fba5

Maine
“Crazy works!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a fun place! We stopped for "brunch" on a Monday morning... we were frankly disappointed by a lack of selection in the case, and went basic. DW had a bagel, I went with a scone. The scone was one of the best I've had; DW was disappointed in the bagel. Service was pleasant and entertaining... Check on your surroundings--there are some interesting things on display and you leave a tip by voting whether or not you'd like a dragon or a unicorn for a pet. I'm still not sure .

• Visited July 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Unpretentious place with surprising food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

On our way back to Ottawa, whilst driving through Bennington at lunch time, we decided to stop for a quick lunch. Luck was with us, and we quickly found a parking spot on Main Street, we asked a local for a good place to have a quick bite. As it turned out, we were but a few feet away from the Crazy Russian Girls bakery/restaurant.! Such a fascinating place, and if one has the time, read the story of their Russian grandparents and how they ended up in the US. Admire the photos and their family heirlooms
As to the bakery, not only does it have an excellent choice of breads and pastries,it also offers a.varied menu of several ethnic origins. Our sandwiches and salads were fresh and delicious. We could not resist having dessert: a creamy chocolate cake and the "Better than Brad Pitt chocolate cookie", made with Belgian chocolate. Just to die for! As a chocoholic I had to buy extra provisions for the ride.

2 Thank eleojac
Oaxaca, Mexico
“Love local color....Dislike chains...this is terrific.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great "mom and pop" bakery/restaurant. Great owners. Personable. Terrific breads, pastries, light lunches....You musty try this place. Its fun. The best maple bagels I have had in my life. The bagels themselves were incredible. Could have eaten everything.

Oaxaca, Mexico
“Love these "mom and pop" places....they blow away miserable chains.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Lots of great breads, pastries.....luncheons...The owners are personable. Best damn maple bagels I have eaten in my life. Really fun spot to stop in and chat, have a snack and enjoy local color.