“Good beer & food”

Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Madison family has deep roots in the Bennington, Vermont. As locals growing up and living in the area, the Madison's have deep ties to the community and in the early 1990's the family decided to purchase what was then a burned out storefront in Bennington's historic downtown, and convert it into the area's first brew pub. "My brother Mark was part of the inspiration" says co-owner Mel Madison. "He become passionate about brewing beer as a hobby... And that let us to the idea of starting a brew pub." From those humble beginnings, the brewery has developed six regular brews plus a seasonal brew. To complement the brewing is the lunch and dinner offerings as well as Madison's own home-made chips - a favorite at the bar or anyplace. Now into its second decade of operation, the brew pub has become a Bennington fixture and a favorite amongst the locals. We encourage you to stop in and discover for yourself everything Madison's Brewing Company has to offer!
Metamora, Michigan
“Good beer & food”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

In town on business and we stopped in for lunch. The service was quick and between our server and the hostess all of our needs were met. The hummas plater was outstanding and it included 4 wrapped grape leaves, olives and lots of veggies along with the pita. I enjoyed lunch so much, that I returned that evening for a night cap after dinner. The Citra IPA was yummy.

Richmond Hill, Ontario
“Good brews, food not so much”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Located in a historical building, set in historic downtown Bennington, made this restaurant very appealing. The interior was also quite nice with lots of distressed/aged wood. Its brew pub atmosphere was evident by bags of grain tucked into corners and brewing vats on one side of the main dining area.

The server was not very cognizant of the libations produced, unable to discuss the bitterness of the various offerings. Although we were offered samples, I felt this deficit unacceptable in this setting, however, we were able to satisfy our quest for an excellent brew.

The food was much less satisfying. The mixed green salad was fantastic, but that's where it ended. My wife had a veggie burger, which might have been good were it not for the ice cold hummus smeared on the bun, which instantly chill the whole sandwich. My order of "New England" style pot roast was very disappointing. Thin slivers (machine sliced?) of firm beef in gravy reminded me of the roast beef served in my high school cafeteria. Perhaps I'm just not aware of "New England" style, but my concept of pot roast is very different.

Go for the beer, and pub grub if you wish, but not for dinner.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank mmkwong
vermont
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I base my review on more than three visits that all had similar results.
We came in and waited to be seated. Others came in afterwards. The others were waited on before us. We ordered. The others got there food but ours was delayed longer than the time difference between our orders. Like I said, this occurred to us several times. The food and service were lacking.
For over fifteen years I have been brewing beer, so my next comments aren't just a matter of taste. Madison's beers are only okay. They lack quality which comes not only from poor crafting but from poor sanitation practices. All the beers I tried suffer from a common flavor note produced by bacteria during fermentation.

• Visited June 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Good food and beer”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Dropped in yesterday for a beer. Came back today for lunch. Both days (Saturday and Sunday) it was very busy. Had the turkey melt with salad and a belgian style wheat beer. The beer tasted good but came with a slice of orange and looked like Fanta. The turkey sandwich was good. My wife had a spinach quiche which she said was very good.

Earlton, New York
“Not bad for "non-bar" people...”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was my first time in Vermont, and on a road trip with a friend, we came across this place and decided to go in for a bite.

This place has a lower level and then a level up a set of stairs. Although there was a bar downstairs, once we were escorted to our table on the second floor, it was hard to tell. This was perfect for me, as I'm not usually a bar person, I find them loud and busy, and not a comfortable place to eat. However, this place did seem to have quiet areas where we could relax and talk.

The food is pretty good. by no means is it the best food I've ever had, but it's fairly good quality pub food. I didn't try any of the local brews, but my friend said they were average. In all I'd say the food was good, but I wouldn't spend any more for it or go out of my way to get to it.

The staff was very kind and helpful. Although some things took a while to get, like food and drinks, I could understand because the place was so incredibly busy.

I suggest this place to people who've been out and about all day and want to grab a bite or a drink for an okay price. I just don't feel the food was the best, just average.