“Favorite in Bennington”

Ranked #12 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Pangaea is focused on creating an amazing dining experience using the most locally sourced food possible combined with an atmosphere that is very welcoming. You will be able to find food inspired from around the world here at Pangaea.
San Francisco, California
“Favorite in Bennington”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Great food and good service. Overlooking a mill pond Walloomsack River, great view in the summer or October when the leaves change color. And the Bloody Mary -- a salad and cocktail all combined.

Visited June 2012

Richfield, Wisconsin
“Great Place for Delicious Dinners and excellent conversation”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We had the opportunity to experience both the Lounge and the Fine Dining sides of this terrific restaurant as part of our packages while staying at the Eddington House Inn in North Bennington, VT. Our first visit to VT, we weren't sure what to expect. On the fine dining side, we had a lovely Five Course Dinner paired with wines - Superb! The Mushroom Strudel was honestly one of the best appetizers either of us had ever eaten and the Filet mignon with poached lobster and potato was exquisite. After a delicious dinner in the Lounge two nights later, we enjoyed relaxing at the cozy bar where we met some great people (Aaron is an awesome bartender!!!!) from the area who had great advice on points of interest and introduced us to new drinks. It was a wonderful way to spend our Birthdays :)

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Theresa511
New Haven, Connecticut
“Extraordinary Dining Experience”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Tucked away in the small, quaint village/town of North Bennington, Vermont, not far from Bennington College, is one of the finest dining experiences to be had in New England. Pangaea is located in an unassuming streetside building, storefront style with additions, but connoisseurs of good food will not be deterred by that. A far different enjoyable experience awaits inside.

I visited by chance, just passing through, and stopped to get a closer look after seeing the sign "Fine Dining" out front. It was shortly before 6:00 p.m. on a Friday evening and patrons were still arriving so I had my choice of any seat in the house.

There are two parts to Pangaea -- the fine dining restaurant and the "lounge." They function as two separate restaurants with different kitchens so each has it's own food menu, although they do share the same menu for wine and mixed drinks. I decided to try the lounge as I had no idea of what kind of experience I would be offered.

The lounge has a comfortable seating plan and includes a small bar inside a larger room with two anterooms in the "wings" so to speak. There is also an outdoor patio for summer dining. This was March so I chose a table for two in the main room not far from the bar.

I was greeted by a young woman who was our wait staff for dinner. She was quite charming and pleasant, clearly explaining the entire menu as well as the restaurant's concept. Pangaea is a term used in geology referring to the forging of all the earth's land masses into one large "supercontinent" before the period of continental drift. Thus the restaurant implies a fusion of cuisines inspired from around the world. I suppose one might have said "eclectic" but that term has become trite. Somehow "pangaea" accurately reflected my dining experience.

Our server was able to answer most of our questions about the menu with the exception of the Bordeaux wines and so she invited the manager to our table who selected a mid price varietal that was just perfect. By the way Pangaea has a very extensive wine list that should appeal to most anyone's palate so plan on sampling from their wine-by-the-bottle menu. What you don't drink you can always take with you and the wines by the glass offerings are limited. Our Bordeaux was a 2006 from the Medoc region with an 80%/20% Merlot/Cabernet blend. Soft bouquet, medium tannins, and easily a good quality pleasant stand alone selection.

We sampled from their appetizers as we often like to choose small plates paired with a good wine. We shared the quesadilla ($9.00) and the grilled artichoke hearts, olives and pita with red pepper hummus ($9.00). The quesadilla alone was very tasty and came with three toppings on the side -- sour cream, guacamole, and a medium spicy salsa -- which I would order again. We got three grilled artichoke hearts with our second appetizer. They were marvelously marinated and melted in our mouths. The red pepper hummus was very tasty. The after dinner dessert consisted of warm chocolate chip cookies and cappuccino. The cookies were exquisite. The cappuccino was agreeable enough but not a reason for dining here.

The experience was so impressive that we returned on Saturday evening, making reservations in advance. This time we ate at the fine dining side. This side of the restaurant is a large room with no bar. It is painted red and has beautiful architectural details without being gaudy. The feeling is relaxed. Pangaea has a way of avoiding the snobby quality of so many fine dining establishments while making you feel special and at home. There are high ceilings, the tables are spread out so you never feel squeezed in and the overall impression is light and airy. The music on this side is also befitting of a fine dining experience. Upon entering Coltrane's gorgeous tune "Equinox" could be detected in the background. Throughout the evening we were treated to Coltrane, Dinah Washington and a myriad of other straight ahead jazz artists.

Again we ordered a bottle of mid-range French Bordeaux (about $50.00). My wife loved it while I enjoyed the bottle from the night before even better. The difference suggests the range of wines stocked by this restaurant. This one, also from the Medoc region, was a blend of 80% cab and 20% Merlot, thus providing a more masculine taste than the one from the previous evening. As it opened up it became more drinkable and pleasant. Certainly not a disappointment as we once again finished off the bottle.

We ordered two appetizers and two entrees. Included with each entree is a very creative salad. The greens were wrapped in delicate rice paper like a spring roll with a side of udon noodles and red cabbage (I think). Our appetizers consisted of venison accompanied by ravioli stuffed with a delicate goat cheese with an amazing fig sauce and served over mustard greens. The second appetizer was the wild mushroom strudel, a very tasty selection of wild mushrooms rolled into a delicate filo pastry log. Both were outstanding! With the venison I didn't know meat could be that tasty and tender and I'm not much of a red meat carnivore.

Entrees were the filet mignon with lobster tail and the Long Island duck with a superb cherry sauce and risotto. My wife had the filet mignon which she described as cooked to perfection. My duck was equally impressive, very tender and tasty in the cherry sauce. I'm not much of a fan of risotto, and this one seemed to be infused with cheese, so I'd ask for a substitute were I to choose the duck at a future time.

For an after dinner libation I skipped the cappuccino and dessert and retreated to the bar on the lounge side. (While the desserts are tempting I had enough to eat as portions here are quite sufficient.) The bartender served up an intriguing new drink he created -- Hendrix gin mixed with St. Germain and mixed with muddled fresh blueberries and cucumbers, topped off with a splash of club soda on ice. A creative and enjoyable drink for sure but I think if I were to make it I'd leave out the fresh cucumber since Hendrix is already a cucumber infused gin.

Conversation at the bar was easy and inclusive. We didn't feel at all like outsiders. Folks were welcoming and conversations turned to arts and culture in the local area. One secret to the good "craic," as it might be known in Ireland, is the lack of a television blaring overhead, or anywhere for that matter.

Overall this is one of the most surprisingly pleasant dining experiences we've had in a long time and is highly recommended.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Craig O
vermont
“Nothing to match it within 100 miles...”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I know it's hard to believe in a small village in southern Vermont, but this may be the best restaurant I've ever eaten in - certainly in the top 3. ...maybe all the way to Manhattan.
From the game appetizers and spring rolls to the creme brulee, the chef, the staff, and the sommelier know what they're doing.
Not cheap in any sense, and worth every penny when you're looking for the best.

Visited December 2012
Bay Village, Ohio
“Patio Perfect”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The pork tacos are excellent, and the portions are huge! If you're visiting in warmer weather, definitely take the opportunty to dine al fresco on their scenic patio.

Visited October 2012