“Good food,nice wine,white linens in a casual atmosphere”
Review of Allegro Ristorante

Allegro Ristorante
Ranked #5 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food,nice wine,white linens in a casual atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my first time visiting Bennington,VT. I am here for work, but it is a beautiful place to visit as well.
I enjoy great food, nice wines and linen when they are presented in a casual atmosphere. This little restaurant has it all. They have a nice menu and options for gluten free diets. The staff was pleasant and I didn't feel rushed or forgotten.

New Rochelle, New York
“Excellent pasta”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The service was very good, the pasta and portions excellent and I'm just sorry that we didn't have enough days to go back again. It's also a very pretty restaurant.

Visited July 2014
Potsdam, New York
“First time I have walked out of a restaurant”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went to Allegro last weekend. My significant other enjoys it there although I have not had good past experiences. We made reservations and when we got there were again addressed rudely by the hostess and seated way in the back of the restaurant next to the kitchen even though there were empty window side table. When we asked were told they were reserved. We decided even with the tiny table and uncomfortable chairs to brave it.

I opened the menu after it was brought and looked through it for quiet some time to find a pairing of appetizers, pasta, and main course that worked. I was exceedingly disappointed to find that while there were dishes that seemed to work on their own they did not match from a taste perspective with the other dishes on the menu. Now I am self-admittedly a foodie and have a close interpersonal relationship with good food so am a bit picky. That having been said I am not adverse to dropping several hundred dollars on a good meal but often find that price is not a measure of quality, taste, or service. The menu at Allegro is on the small side and I understand the fresh farm to table concept well. Unfortunately, it is even more critical that dishes pair well if your offering is limited.

After having been seated for over 15 minutes and still not having anyone take our cocktail order I decided to ask my other if we could just go someplace else. This is very unusual for me as I can almost find something on any menu and have very very seldom just walked out. But the lack of service, rudeness of the hostess, and lack of options just left me feeling that my money would be better spent elsewhere.

As a follow up my other went back the following weeknight with a small birthday group. While she had an acceptable meal she was again treated rudely. My suggest; you have a choice so shop elsewhere.

1 Thank jorge g
“Very nice”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was a member of a party of 8 at dinner at Allegre. We all had a good time Everyone enjoyed their dishes and the service was attentive, albeit strectched a bit thin because the place could have used an additional server to handle the crowded dining room. I took a risk in a mountain town and ordered a seafood dish - clams and mussels in white wine and garlic. I was very pleasantly surprised; the clams and mussels were fresh and nicely prepared. Also, the pasta was perfectly prepared. All in all, our party had a very pleasant evening at Allegre.

Massachusetts
“Delicious dinner”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We just spent a long weekend in Bennington, VT. A great town and area. At the advice of the owner of the B&B where we stayed we walked to this delightful restaurant and had one of the best dinners we've had in a long time! Our waitress was friendly but not too chatty and knowledgeable about the wine and menu. My husband has Celiac and the menu offered many good options. There isn't blaring music so we were able to easily chat with each other. My Arctic Char was superb. We split the dessert (homemade ice cream with salted chocolate sauce) and it was delicious. This place is not pricey. Very reasonable and top quality. We will definitely return for another good meal. (I was unable to respond to the categories below because I don't know the answers.)

• Visited May 2014