“A wonderful place to stay in Bennington”
Review of South Shire Inn

South Shire Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Bennington B&B and Inns
Seneca, South Carolina
“A wonderful place to stay in Bennington”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the South Shire Inn while on a bicycle tour in Vermont. Our room was in the carriage house (Coach Room) and we couldn't have been more pleased with the accommodations. The room was large, comfortable, nicely appointed and very clean. We especially enjoyed the spacious sitting room in the morning complete with Keurig and great selection of tea and coffee. The breakfast was delicious and the dining room was beautiful. The inn is located just a couple of blocks from the center of town so restaurants and stores are within easy walking distance. If we have occasion to visit Bennington again we will definitely return to the South Shire Inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My room was in the carriage house and I loved it. It was clean and with plenty of space. The bathroom had both a tub and stand up shower. The main house has a beautiful library. I think this place is better for couples than for families.
The location is perfect since its walking distance to the little town center to restaurants like Allegro and great coffee at South Street Cafe.
It made my visit to Bennington a memorable one.

• Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We had a wonderful weekend at the South Shire Inn this past fall. Joyce couldn't do enough for us. While some reviewers felt there was a remoteness, all I had to do was engage her in conversation and that did it! I can't speak for the husband, who is the one in charge of making the breakfast; he stays out of the way. However, we did learn that he was preoccupied with some family concern and, in fact, I believe that he flew to Florida while we were still there.
Our first floor room was beautiful, breakfast was delicious and elegantly served. Everything was absolutely clean. The location is wonderful for people, like us, who are happy to ditch the car and walk to restaurants for dinner. Joyce made some very good recommendations.
We would definitely return for another stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Lovely Inn, charming building and very well kept. The room we stayed in was super cute an perfect for a short trip. The fireplace adds a romantic touch and the lack of TV is greatly appreciated as it gives you time to socialize, read, etc.. Nice host (not too intrusive, something I love). The breakfast was very tasty. The only point I would say they can improve is the 4pm tea. It was a bit plain for my taste but that may be because I read a guide that pointed the afternoon tea as one of the perks. For those who are looking for an affordable Inn experience and not a chain hotel, this place is just perfect.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The good: the rooms are lovely, with whirlpool baths, separate showers, and fireplaces. Beds are comfortable. We had the Sleigh Suite and the Jim Dandy room because we wanted to have one room with a private fridge and the other with a "private" outdoor patio. It was "private" only in the sense that it was nestled in a little alcove behind the building but wasn't walled off on the fourth side. This actually turned out to be quite convenient because we parked the car back there and it was much easier to load.

In the back building, where are rooms were, there was a little sitting room with a fridge, K-cups, coffee/tea mugs, wine and beer glasses, with half-and-half in the fridge. Nice touch for those of us who wake up before breakfast is served and want our coffee RIGHT NOW!! Also nice because they have a variety of teas in the server so you can relax with a cup of hot tea in front of your fireplace before you go to bed.

Breakfast was very good. They serve a different breakfast each morning with the same "format" - a bread or cake, a fruit bowl, and a hot entrée, with juice and coffee. It's really delicious. It wasn't my favorite B&B breakfast but it was good enough.

The not-so-good: I would have rated this place a "4," except for a couple of things that were irritating and irksome. For one, the back building had a really funky smell in it when we first arrived - by the time we got back from dinner, it seemed to have aired out a bit, but it was not at all pleasing when we first arrived.

Not all of the rooms have TVs, which is fine. However, we had the largest rooms on the property (except for one of the suites that has 3 beds in it), and the TVs were moderately-sized box-type sets, maybe 19" screens or so. That would be fine in a smaller room, but these were very far from the foot of the bed and really hard to see for those of us who have the bad habit of falling asleep with the TV timer on. The Sleigh Suite TV is in the sitting area and not visible from the bed. I wandered into the Coach room, and the TV in there was about the same size but the room was smaller so it seemed more appropriate. It just seems that for the larger rooms they might want to invest in larger flatscreens.

The website is not as informative as it should be, and the reservations page was a pain to navigate (because we were booking two rooms - for one room, it wouldn't have been so bad). The innkeepers seem to know very little of the tourist attractions around Bennington and were not helpful at all in planning our day.

Speaking of innkeepers - they aren't really the right type of people to own and operate a bread & breakfast. I know a lot of other reviewers appreciated that they weren't the typical, nosy-type innkeepers, but in many ways, they were just downright unfriendly. Joyce appears to know how to act pleasant, so breakfast service is nice, but just in conversation, she can come off as unfriendly. The husband (I forgot his name) is REALLY unpleasant - he is apparently the chef, so I would suggest he stay in the kitchen and Joyce should never allow him to interact with the guests. I decided to wait until we were just about to leave to make my last bathroom visit, but when we went to the main house to check out, Mr. Chef informed me that the lavatory on the first floor was stopped up (by some unthinking guest who decided to deal with his or her stomach problems in the house lavatory, rather than in his or her own room). I asked him where the other powder rooms were, and he said, sorry, don't have any. I asked him if there were ANY bathrooms in the building I could use, and he curtly answered, NOPE. So I said, ok, I'm going back to the other building to use the powder room there, and he said, you won't get in because I'm not giving you the key. And I said, I haven't checked out yet, so I still have MY key.

Geez. That was really unbelievable. As I said, if Joyce could figure out a way to be pleasant all the time and not just in a rehearsed way during breakfast, and Chef could just stay in the kitchen, hidden from view from the guests, this place would rate a "4." But the innkeepers themselves came close to ruining our visit, so no more than a "3."

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ciocio1
NYC
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This inn, in a late Victorian mansion within easy walk of downtown Bennington, is well appointed and efficiently run by a largely silent couple who are not the usual B&B nosy types. There is a lovely afternoon service of sherry, tea, and cookies, and the breakfasts are quite delicious. We stayed in the carriage house, in an enormous suite with a jacuzzi bath, shower, skylights, comfortable enough bed, and windows on three sides (we like open windows).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The South Shire Inn has a welcoming atmosphere and all of the common rooms are beautiful and full of unique architectural details. We stayed in the Gold Room which is very large and comfortable and has access to a second floor porch (and the wifi worked on the porch). The only downside was having the private bathroom across the hall, which we were aware of when we made the reservation but I think that I am more comfortable with an in-room bathroom. The breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple