“Great Staff, Great Experience, Nice Terrain, Fun Bar”

Bolton Valley Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Family-run ski resort is ideal for families.
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I love this mountain, but then again, I love old school mountains. The staff is awesome, from the director of the snowboard school to the bartenders. There is a special charm about this place that I can not put my finger on, but it has a special ambience of yesteryear.

1  Thank Ut_Amen_Et-Foveam
in 13 reviews
"snow"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 16 February 2014

After ~10 years of not having been on skis, my husband and I decided to go to Vermont for a ski weekend. I liked this ski resort because it had 35% of the mountain as novice. I paid for a lesson to serve as a refresher and it was worth every dollar.
Lift ticket prices were reasonable as was the cost of a private lesson. My instructor was excellent, very encouraging, gave great pointers. I had a great skiing experience, skiing for a better portion of the day. I would definitely return to Bolton Ski Resort. Nicely situated between Burlington and Stowe.

1  Thank patriotsfan02
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I've been going to Bolton Valley for well over a decade. Some of the best tree skiing in New England, but a well rounded resort for all skier types. It's a bit of a no frills place, although the bar is always a good time, and the wood fired pizza excellent, it's more about the skiing here. Due to their high base elevations (it's quite the access road), they often got some of the most snow in VT other then Jay. The hotel is one of the most convenient there is, literally attached to the base lodge. The rooms are basic, but location is absolutely key!

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I can see why BV gets mixed reviews, as its not as polished as some of its rivals in the area, and some parts are a little run down, e.g. the cafe area. But it is totally unpretentious, frequented by many locals which gives it a really nice feel. The staff are really friendly and the night skiing was awesome. It may not be to everyone's liking but it was to mine.

1  Thank Andy_R_2005
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Total Lack of Trail Maintenance and Grooming Combine for Huge Profits!

For the second consecutive holiday season, Bolton Valley has experienced a Christmas miracle by selling Nordic tickets for access to completely un-maintained trails. “It’s a miracle!” exclaimed a Bolton spokesman. “Total neglect really is the gift that keeps giving. We’re just so grateful that people are willing to pay for what they could get for free by visiting any piece of Vermont State forest. Clearly, being owned by two real estate development companies has made us cutting edge … in terms of profit for our owners.”

Bolton is continuing its grand tradition of “self-grooming,” a concept, said the spokesman, whereby anyone daring enough to venture onto the trails gets the opportunity to make it easier for others who come afterward. “It’s really charming because sometimes our guests will notice that a moose or coyote has been out there doing some grooming for us. We’re really all in this together … well, except for Bolton, of course.”

The spokesman added, “The miracle doesn’t stop there. Considering that most of our Nordic trails are now owned by the State of Vermont, our guests have free access to the trials for all I know. Particularly since their tax dollars paid for the only trail maintenance done in Bolton in years. So, the miracle is that this, plus the fact our Total Neglect policy means we rarely send a patrol out, people still buy tickets! Our owners—Nedde Real Estate and Redstone—super appreciate it!”

But, the miracles don’t end there. The recent ice storm brought four small trees down over the Nordic trails. The spokesman said, “We think this is particularly helpful, for, considering the above-mentioned lack of trail maintenance, grooming and patrols, the downed trees mean that if one of our guests is injured, he or she can use the wood to build a fire and wait until spring.”

When it was mentioned to the spokesman that a small chain saw and a few short minutes of work would mean the trails would be clear, he said, “’Chain saw?’ What is this fascinating new technology of which you speak? If such a thing truly exists, I am sure it is prohibitively expensive. No, no, let us celebrate the wonder of nature as it slowly breaks down the trees over the decades.”

Asked if he had a message for Bolton’s Nordic skiers, the spokesman said, “On behalf of our owners… thanks, suckers!”

3  Thank Matt57201