“What a dump!”

Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.
Ranked #4 of 4 Bondville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The two rooms we booked were not habitual ! They were literally in the lobby dirty, dark and frightening! The innkeeper seemed shocked when I told him to refund my money I was not staying in the lodge. He told me I would not find anything in the area for under 100.00. He proceeded to tell me in could rent the rooms for 140.00 (each) I said good luck! Went up the road to Stratton mountain inn paid 80.00 total tax included. 20.00 cheaper then the stone mountain dump.

3  Thank Deedre

Reviewed 29 September 2012

A great little inn in the heart of southern Vermont. At the base of Stratton Mountain and 20 minutes from Manchester and Bromley.The staff is working hard to get ready for the winter season and were very accommodating and friendly. Nice clean room with a king size sleigh bed with down comforter and a working fireplace. Great ambience for a winter getaway. Cosy restaurant and well stocked bar.with a reasonably priced menu. Try the clam chowder and crab cakes. Also a variety of other entrees, appetizers and salads. We'll be back..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed in the Opal room for two nights 9/24-26. The area is nice with enough to do, though the town is pretty isolated in the summer season. The staff was very friendly-- both at the lodge and at the attached tavern/restaurant, which served decent food that was, I thought, a little expensive for the quantity served.

Our room was large, with a king bed and a functional wood-burning fireplace. They had a full cable package and we were able to get our HGTV fix. There was also free wifi. That's where the positives end, however. The bedspread was stained, the sheets didn't fit right so they just came loose at the corners in the night. The mattress and pillows were cheap and creaky/scratchy. The carpeting was pink and very dingy, with lots of burn holes around the fireplace. Popcorn ceiling. Harvest gold shower and sink, tiny mirror, torn shower curtain. I can understand the carpeting and popcorn ceiling being an expensive fix, but a $3.50 cheap vinyl shower curtain?

The bottom line is, this was easily one of the grossest rooms I've ever paid for, I've paid less money for a nicer room, even with the Groupon it didn't add up to a good deal for us.

2  Thank adiantumpedatum
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

We've been traveling in the New England area for two weeks and this lodge was a pleasant surprise. Very clean and cozy room, with all the things you'd expect.
Nice and welcoming staff. And as a bonus, there's a bar/ restaurant. A definte thumbs up

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stones Lodge was everything I expected it to be from previous reviews that I read. I had a three night groupon stay and it saved me a considerable amount of money. I stayed in the Onyx room and I loved the ambiance. Few minors nicks... The headboard was cracked on the bottom right hand side and chipped on the upper left hand side. There was a bottle of champagne in my room with champagne flutes on a bucket of ice, which was very nice of the staff, since they knew it was my birthday. My birthday dinner was at Verde (up on Stratton Mtn) great food, excellent service.The fireplace in my room was awesome, the only downside with that was every other night after our first night it was pretty hard to burn wood since we had green wood. The bed was soft and comfy. The bathroom in my room was fine, with the exception of the very hot or very cold shower. The water pressure wasn't that great and it was either too hot or too cold, but somehow we managed.The light breakfast at the inn was good, although there is a restaurant "Fox Stop" across the street that has really good food. The bartender (Steve) at the Fat Spy Tavern was awesome. He really took good care of my boyfriend and I and had a lot of nice suggestions for us for sightseeing. My dinner at the Fat Spy Tavern wasn't that great really. I had the Mahi meal with black bean salsa and rice with zucchini. Everything was good except the Mahi, which for me is not a good thing especially since I love fish. The Mahi was over cooked and literally had to be chewed almost 32 times, which in my opinion for a fish you shouldn't have to do. Every appetizer I had (buffalo wings, calamari) was good but there were a few questionable pieces of the calamari. The innkeeper was nice it's just a shame he has to work for like 10 people. I wish there was a little bit more staff to help out. There were a few times when I did feel a little uncomfortable, but nothing to stress over really. Would I recommend this place to someone, perhaps with the right description of what to expect. If you are looking for things to be grand, then I would say this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a place that's reasonable and don't mind a few nicks here and there, then sure.

Room Tip: The Onyx room is very spacious and off to the side and quiet.
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We bought the Groupon for this place and attempted to stay there this past weekend (9/14-9/16). We arrived late after driving up from Connecticut. The staff seemed very friendly, but I knew that there was going to be an issue when the man who checked us in explained that they are promoting this Groupon in order to get some cash flow going to fix things up. We were put in the "Ruby" room, and we did not see the other rooms, so there could be better rooms. This room, however, was horrendous. It had clearly been last updated in the 1970s, so the excuse that this inn is 150 years old doesn't really work - if the decor were authentic to it's era, that would be very different.

To be more specific, our complaints include the sagging "popcorn" ceiling that had numerous large water stains and cracks; the brown stain on the otherwise attractive white comforter; the yellow 70s toilet that appeared to have algae growing in it; the tiled shower full of cracked tile and apparently supported by recently added, still unpainted and unfinished 2x4s; the tiny window that had been left open with no screen, allowing numerous flies to accumulate on the aforementioned ceiling.

Perhaps if I were younger and had less money and experience, I would have just made do. But when I realized that I stayed at nicer youth hostels in third world countries, I decided that going somewhere else, even though it was ten o'clock at night, just made sense. We had to get out of there to be able to relax and enjoy our vacation.

Although we ended up spending more than twice what we had planned for the vacation, it was so worth it to feel comfortable and not disgusted when we looked around our room.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the "Ruby" room - I don't know about the other rooms.
4  Thank ph1980
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I can easily see that the location directly across from Stratton Mountain must make this a very popular sleepover destination in the winter, but we had the unique experience of staying here in the hot summer. While our Groupon opportunity saved us considerable cash and made our stay very affordable, it was admittedly a bit of an isolated feeling to stay here off- season. The lodge was empty but for our own reservation and possibly one other. When we arrived to check-in, there were no lights on, which was a little disconcerting. There was a skeleton staff on hand, and the advertised tavern was closed, but I have to say that the proprietor kindly refunded us $20 for the inconvenience. I was very impressed with that gesture.

Our room (the "diamond" room) was VERY large; we loved that. There were crispy clean linens on our bed - very important. We had air conditioning, a flat screen TV, a leather couch with a fur rug in front of it and an incredibly beautiful, functional stone fireplace. Definitely good ambiance for romance. A tour of the facility revealed an abandoned attached club which looked like it had great potential. Inside were three bars, a performing stage, DJ booth, and a considerably sized dance floor. I'm sure that this is the perfect spot for a snowboarder in peak season at the end of a long day on the slopes.

However, to be honest, there were a few minor noticed issues that did not deter us but, since repairs were in progress and workers present daily, I expect they will be all fixed by the end of the summer, anyway. Here are our observed issues: There was an outlet in our room with no switch plate on it; no big deal but definitely not something you would find in a Marriott. I don't know if the fan in the bathroom was working because the knob was missing. Again, not a big deal, but something I would report to the concierge if I were staying in a fancy hotel. There was a hole in the wall possibly from a prior customer, but someone took the time to cover it with a wooden plate. I wouldn't have known about the hole except that it was so low on the wall, that the position of the hanging plate was curious so I looked behind it and found the hole. I also noticed a stain on the wall that looked like it could have been made by a male dog (?) Also, the white upholstery on the chair in our room was stained. I suspect a lot of these minor observances were a result of wild partying from the busy season last year. I hope that those who make these seasonal repairs just have a little catching up to do.

One last comment that I think may have been a result of our off-season booking, was that the breakfast which was supposed to be included in our booking was definitely sub-par in comparison to other motels/hotels/B&B's. We were offered dry cereal, (Fruit Loops or Cheerios) white bagels or white english muffins. Choosing to avoid any of those options, my husband and I opted for coffee only with the intention to go elsewhere. OK, but when we asked for a second cup of coffee before heading out for the day, we were told that there would be a charge. Definitely NOT typical policy.

Would we stay here again? Hmm..... Well for the Groupon price, definitely yes. Our twenty-something kids stopped by to visit and said they would DEFINITELY stay during the winter season. So there you have it - young winter ski/snowboard types, say definitely yes. Picky, older folks touring VT in summer might find it a tad less fancy than the four or five star places they may prefer. But when the price is right...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally M

Been to Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.

Address: 1 River Road, Bondville, VT 05340
Region: United States > Vermont > Bondville
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 4 B&Bs / Inns in Bondville
Price Range: £56 - £186 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn. 3*
(Currently closed for renovations.) Property Amenities: Stone's Lodge under Mt. Stratton features multilingual staff, individually designed rooms & the restaurant. For a surcharge, an airport shuttle is available to guests. This Bondville lodge also offers express check-in and a pool table. Business services and wedding services can be provided. Onsite parking is complimentary. Stone's Lodge under Mt. Stratton is a smoke-free property. * Business services * Billiards or pool table * Airport transportation (surcharge) * Pool table * Number of rooms: 20 * Number of floors: 2 * Parking (surcharge) * Banquet facilities * Express check- in * Multilingual staff * Parking (free) * Year Built 1974 * Smoke-free property * Number of buildings/towers 1 * Wedding services. ... more   less
Stone`s Lodge Under Stratton Mtn. Hotel Bondville