“Great place to stay”

Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.
Ranked #4 of 4 Bondville B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed only one night in the great place u pinto the mountains. Very friendly staff. Specially in the bar/restaurant. He gave us some good suggestions for out next day. We Had a good night in great beds and enjoyed a good breakfast. Definitely a place to come back to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Edwin B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Woburn, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We went up here for a funeral and stayed in 2 rooms. We stayed 8/2013. The hotel is a converted barn/stable. It does have some charm and we were happy to find a place that was pet friendly as we were travelling with our 10 week old puppy.

The Turquoise room was not as pictured. The windows had no shades but had curtains pulled back so we made do. There were cobwebs all along room as well as stained carpets. The white comforters were also stained and the "so-called" 1500 ct thread sheets were wrinkled. I venture to guess they were only 500 thread ct. The bathroom towels were more like rags than towels. The shower head was so low I had to duck under it to shower (but it did have good pressure). The ceiling above one of the beds had nailed in sheetrock that didn't even match the rest of the ceiling and there didn't even seem to be an attempt to patch it and make it look nice. Molding was also missing from this area around the ceiling.

The Cat Room was the other room we stayed in. It was filthy with cobwebs. My sister said she didn't get any sleep because it was so dirty.

The free wifi - a joke. It didn't work in the Torquoise room. Signal didn't get far enough. In addition, we brought a back up plan and tried an AT&T mifi device. We were unable to get a signal. Verizon and AT&T do not work well at this location.

Breakfast made to order the next morning was a joke. One of the choices - 2 eggs and bacon ... note that's all you get...no toast. I asked for toast and got 1 piece. I asked for a second piece and then also had to ask for butter for the toast and then a knife. Orange juice was on the menu but when we asked for it, we were told there is cranberry juice on the other table we can have. We ended up leaving there and going acrossed the street for a little better service.

Very poor service, very low quality establishment, very overpriced for the shape it is in. I see potential with this place but our experience was horrible and this place needs an overhaul and real cleaning done.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Cheri9724
Ansonia, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My pregnant fiance and I made the mistake of booking this dump online. We arrived to find there is NO A/C!! The lobby was sweltering and the room was even hotter! The place looks nothing like the pictures and smells of mold. There was no possible way that I would sleep in a place like this, nevermind my fiance. When I told the mgr we were leaving and would like a refund, I was given the run around and told to call back. Yana returned the deposit but kept the room fee because "I threatened her" with a bad review! In short, this is "THE WORST" place we have ever stayed. BEWARE!!

Room Tip: Book a different place!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marc W
Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My Fiancee and I planned an impromptu motorcycle trip to Vermont this past weekend. On Friday night I was looking at the map and trying to decide where to stay. Stone's Lodge came up, was about the right distance for our first day of riding, and had a very nice website, so we went for it. Initially I was going to do the reservation online, but in the end I decided to call instead. The booking process was easy, and professionally handled. We arrived Saturday afternoon & checked in. We got the "secret code word" for food discount at the "Fat Spy" restaurant attached to the hotel, and were shown our room. I have to point out that I had not read any reviews until after I booked....

We were pleasantly surprised the negative reviews were over-blown, and in the case of our room, completely wrong. Our room was clean, bed was comfortable, and nice big TV with satellite.

After cleaning up we went to the Fat Spy for dinner. The restaurant was clean, the staff friendly and the food was quite good. It is very nice when traveling by motorcycle to have food close at hand so we really enjoyed this aspect of the hotel. That evening the hotel was quite quiet, and we slept well. Breakfast of pancakes & coffee in the morning was nothing fancy, but it was good.

Overall I would have no problem recommending the Stone's Lodge to my friends, and would stay there again when traveling though Vermont.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg J
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Their website is lovely. The images must have been taken several years ago because it wasn't anything like it looked.
The room was disgusting. Filthy carpet, the smell of mildew, bathroom that hadn't been touched in 50 years, and we had no heat. I asked about it and was brought a space heater. The sheets were clean so we
stayed.
My 13 year old son and I were the only ones there. For breakfast we had a choice of pancakes or bacon and eggs. My huge plate arrived with one egg, scrambled, and one piece of bacon. The bacon was good and the pancakes my son had we're ok. The coffee was cold, and the table in the dining room was adorned with dead flowers and an empty candle tin that was clearly left over from someone's wedding the previous year. It's a cool looking place but it needs a Lot of attention. And a LOT of cleaning supplies.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Zones10
stoneslodge, Owner at Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn., responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Hello:
You stayed around June 15th with us. Since it was summer, I would of never guessed that you might be cold, but when you asked for heat I did bring you the heater and then you told me that you warmed up, so imagine my surprise reading your feedback.
Sorry about coffee, I could of make a new pot of it if I new that that one cooled down.
Also, I ever rent filthy rooms, it is clean, but yes, the carpet in the rooms that have it instead of wooden floors is old.
I am being very transparent, actually, with the condition of every room, that's why there are videos for every room posted in the web-sites description that were taken just one month ago.
Sorry that you had such impression!
Yana
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We booked this hotel for the convenience of the location along with some of the better reviews and photos on their site, completely excited about the weekend in VT with our best friends wedding happening during our time up there ... until arriving for check-in. All I can say is "Oh My GOD". (As another previous guest wrote on their review - who is writing these great reviews? It clearly has to be the owners!)

Upon arrival to what seemed like an abandoned Inn, we were checked-in by a nice young man who despite not understanding (or speaking) English tried his extreme best to accomodate us (after charging us the full amount of the room, not deducting the deposit we'd already paid them in advance, which is a whole different story!) and showed us to our room. The room was disgusting. Not only was it in desperate need of a MAJOR renovation, it didn't feel clean at all, but we thought 'ok, it's JUST one night'. But, after discovering the room door wouldn't lock, we definitely went back to the desk to ask for a different room and could not find the young man. Anywhere. It was as if he disappeared, never to return, no where in sight (and believe me, my better half searched the halls, office, shut-down pub/bar, etc) for over ten minutes until the young man suddenly resurfaced while we waited on the front porch. He gave us another room after verifying the issue.

The second room was right off the lobby, with all windows facing the front porch. None of the curtains closed completely, so you felt as though you were "on display" to whoever walked on the porch. None of the windows had screens and there was no A/C ... needless to say, there were many bugs and moths flying in when we opened the windows to get air in the room. The bathroom toilet had not been cleaned nor had the sink even been rinsed of old toothpaste! Blech! There was no way in heck we were going barefoot in this room, and it had nothing to do with the broken bathroom floor tile that we kept tripping on either. (we kept piecing it back in place)

Granted, there is never any place like your own bed, but this was the absolute first time in over 40 years of traveling where we completely unable to sleep. The bed was big, yes, but was damp and smelled damp!

The best part of the staying here was being able to share our experience with our friends who own an Inn just a mere 3 miles down the road, letting them know they have NO competition with this place at all. (we were unable to stay at their beautiful Inn due to the fact they were actually getting married there and had all their family staying in their guest rooms ... hence the reason for our visit up north)

It's a shame that the owners are not reading and taking to heart all of these reviews because they could potentially be running a beautiful place, but instead they keep copying/pasting their same comment on to each review. Actions speak louder than words ;)

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank debs6266
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I liked the Opal room it was nice and cozy with a huge bed everything was clean and it was pretty spacious and the price was right! I will stay there again for sure! It is right down the hill from Stratton Mountain and only 3.5 hours from NY/NJ and they have free parking right in front of the hotel. The front desk attendant was very pleasent and kind and explained all the details of the room and also direct me to Stratton Mountain where I was going to Wanderlust Yoga and Music Festival and I also like the fact that it is across from a 7/11 where you can get gas and food 24 hours so yeah like I said before I will definitely stay there again and again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank flowyoga

Been to Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.

Property: Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.
Address: 1 River Road, Bondville, VT 05340
Region: United States > Vermont > Bondville
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 4 B&Bs / Inns in Bondville
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:3 star — Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn. 3*
(Currently closed for renovations.) Property Amenities: Stone's Lodge under Mt. Stratton features multilingual staff, individually designed rooms & the restaurant. For a surcharge, an airport shuttle is available to guests. This Bondville lodge also offers express check-in and a pool table. Business services and wedding services can be provided. Onsite parking is complimentary. Stone's Lodge under Mt. Stratton is a smoke-free property. * Business services * Billiards or pool table * Airport transportation (surcharge) * Pool table * Number of rooms: 20 * Number of floors: 2 * Parking (surcharge) * Banquet facilities * Express check- in * Multilingual staff * Parking (free) * Year Built 1974 * Smoke-free property * Number of buildings/towers 1 * Wedding services. ... more   less
Stone`s Lodge Under Stratton Mtn. Hotel Bondville