“Art Deco is not quite enough.”
Review of Latchis Hotel

Latchis Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The Latchis is a landmark hotel in the heart of charming Brattleboro. Its exterior has the wonderful art deco look as does the historic movie theater within the building. Our room (Green Room) faced the Conn. River and New Hampshire mtns. across with lots of light. It was their big weekend (Strolling Of The Heifers!) tho we were there for a wedding. Front desk was pleasant.
OK: Pricey for a country hotel (almost $200 with taxes), the continental breakfast was below budget motel level, with great bakeries all around. Shame! The parking lot was often full, had to pay for nearby civic pkg. The room and bathroom were not renovated and for that price they should have been. Group rate for the wedding was declined because "we can fill the hotel anyway" this weekend. Our room wasn't cleaned at 2:30 PM. This place has history, location, and views behind it but needs some solid attention. There are other choices.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for the Green Room or another away from street noise and with views and light...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
LatchisManager, Manager at Latchis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Solid attention is given to this hotel and theatre every day 360 days per year. Keep in mind that we are a historic building at 75 years old with original fixtures. If we remove the original fixtures we cease to be historic, hence we become a corporate big box and not a boutique.

Weddings do not get a discount at any hotel. Weddings do get the courtesy of having group "blocks" to insure that a certain number of rooms are held available for wedding guests until a certain date, which we do and did. No discounts. I can assure this guest that NONE of my front desk staff made the comment "we can fill the hotel anyway" as this is not our style.

The GREEN ROOM was just renovated within the last year right down to the switches and outlets so I don't understand what this guest is referring to. The original 1938 bathroom fixtures? No, they are staying right where they are, sorry.

I'm so sorry that this guest was unhappy about lack of parking but we do have a parking lot and as with any hotel I have been to, I've had hard time finding parking in many lots on busy weekends. It happens.

The room was not cleaned at 2:30 in the afternoon because this guest had their DO NOT DISTURB hanger on the door which we followed. Sorry, we do as you ask.

Breakfast is served continental style and we offer a wide and lovely variety of breakfast goods to choose from. And yes, we'd be happy to provide breakfast items from local bakeries. We have investigated this many times. Unfortunately to avoid adding an additional $10 per room to the tab for these local offerings, we do what we do. Our breakfast is offered in the cost of the room. All our guests are free to check out any of the local bakeries and so on at any time as well as enjoy our in-house continental breakfast.

Thanks
Jonathan

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed here in early June for one night. The location is great, good price, clean, spacious Queen room. Breakfast fit the bill, staff were friendly and it was very quiet at night. Movie theatre next door quite convenient or a rainy day. Easy walking distance to restaurants and stores. We will be back!

Room Tip: Flat Street Queen was quiet at night
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We were pleasantly surprised and delighted after booking on line to find this hotel so warm and welcoming. The staff were very helpful and Amy was instrumental in making our room perfect with a great view of the river and the intersection below. There was no noise problem and the rain made it all the more cozy as I sat by the window with my glass of wine late that night whilke madam slept and fell into a timeless reverie of what is like to be in this Deco beauty back in 1938 when it was built. Never seen a hotel with a theater attached before and it would have been fun to go into the theater in slippers if it was snowing outside some night. Rates were fair. The parking is odd in that you are behind the hotel but there is a parking and unloading space on the street right at the entrance. Nice little town too. Treat yourself at this place. Pub next door and an excellent restaurant within walking distance called Peter Haven's but more about that in a restaurant review. There was some door slamming issues that should be addressed but all in all it was a great stay.

Room Tip: We were in 307 and it was very nice. Larges with good shower and very clean.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank purkasz

Thank you dear guest for this great review! We do try very hard to be everything to everyone and to take every opportunity to care for each guest.

The door slamming has been an issue we are trying to resolve as code dictates that we have self closing devices on them. We are trying different types of softening methods and have found one that will be suitable for all the doors.

We look forward to your return visit.

Regards,
Jonathan, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We visited friends in Brattleboro over a holiday weekend. The Latchis Hotel is centrally located and reasonably priced so made it a great match.

Pros:
- Nice clean, rooms
- Rooms have a nice TVs in them
- Staff is great and very helpful
- Breakfast served each morning
- The building that houses the Latchis Hotel also houses the area movie theater so if the weather is bad, you can just go catch a film

Cons:
- The front desk closes at 11. Technically, this will be in your confirmation if you book online, but only if you look for it. (I had to click through two pages to find it.) I called the day of our stay to confirm our late check-in and was told I should have called a week prior so my key would be mailed to me. A staff person came after hours to meet me and give me a key and was very nice about it.
- I thought the rooms were great - quirky and old in a good way - but I imagine many people would find the dated decor and furniture off-putting

Room Tip: Our room faced Main Street, which meant we got a great view. We're from the city and used to str...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013

You're not paying for the room. This is an old hotel. The lobby, staircase, etc. retain some of the grandeur of yesteryear but the rooms don't reflect that, and in some ways are a bit shabby. I stayed in the second most expensive room (Queen, with mountain view) at $120 a night. The room was clean, nice TV, etc. but very basic, especially the bathroom. In your normal travels you'd expect to pay about $60 for this room. The mountain view was nice but the windows were dirty which detracted a bit.

But the pluses outweighed all this. First, this is the only hotel downtown, which means you can park your car and leave it. Brattleboro is a beutiful town and almost everything of interest was within five blocks or so. Restaurants, co-ops, brewpubs, sporting equipment, and entertain is all right there, including the movie theatre in the hotel. Probably the best part of this hotel, however, is their staff. Without exception everyone made me feel like a celebrity guest. For example, when I notfied the front desk of my late arrival they offered to have dinner from a local restaurant waiting for me. All my interactions with them left me feeling good. Their complementary breakfast is standard but the elegant dining room overlooking the street is anything but.

To sum it up, the minor downsides are entirely accurate but I would stay there again in a second.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The hotel is very basic but the staff were great...

Very central location, near the limited number of bars and supermarket..beer run!!!

The breakfast was continental but great, the staff who served breakfast also volunteered at the Latchis cinema next door,...ask for the tour, we were taken around the building including unused theatre rooms to see the decor,cielings painted with amazing zodiac scrolls... treated to some salty popcorn (got a funny look when I told them popcorn has to be sweet!!!). amazing building and an amazing history lesson, great guys we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2013

With your grandma's high standards of cleanliness.

Stayed for 2 days while attending several musical events in the area.
Yes, the parking is limited but there is a huge public lot right next door.
Brattleboro has lots of dining/drinking choices. Yes there are many empty storefronts but there are also many lovely shops including and an amazingly wonderful mystery bookshop and the small but beautiful Hooker-Dunham Theatre.

Would never consider staying anywhere else the next time I am in the area.
I was in the most basic twin room (304). It was clean, wi-fi worked, and the shower was warm and plentiful.

If you are going down for breakfast, bring along one of the lovely large coffee cups from your room and grab a window seat and savor the pure bliss of sitting in a corner of history.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TiptreeGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Colonial Motel & Spa
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Latchis Hotel? Share your experiences!