“Well-located and charming hotel”
Review of Latchis Hotel

Latchis Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Maryland Suburbs
“Well-located and charming hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is the second time my husband & I have stayed at the Latchis Hotel in Brattleboro. We love the friendliness of the employees, the art deco lobby, and the artwork by local artists in each room. The hotel is a block from the Amtrak station and the new food coop, as well as all the local restaurants and used bookstores. However, the bathroom in our room needed work: the sink was chipped and ugly. With some updated fixtures, the hotel could be as beautiful as it was when it first opened.

We got one of the summer specials where you stay 3 nights and get the 3rd night discounted -- a fantastic value!

Room Tip: The rooms with double beds rather than singles have the best views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Hanson, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Nice little town, clean hotel. The room was ok, thin walls, I could hear people talking next door, the water pipes very noisy too. Sorry also to say the beds were very uncomfortable. Great location with a movie theatre in the building.

• Stayed September 2013
LatchisManager, Manager at Latchis Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your nice comments about your room. Please let me clarify a couple of the not so happy points.

I'm sorry to read that you had a disruptive neighbor during your stay. I assume you contacted the front desk so we could correct the issue immediately?

We strive to offer the best comfort in a mattress and box unit that we can find, taking into account so many personal comfort expectations. We know that not everyone will find every hotel mattress to their satisfaction but we do research and have tried multiple brands and comfort levels to find a good middle ground. Unfortunately no mattress will be as perfect for each individual as their mattress at home.

Our breakfast is not a hot breakfast buffet but rather a continental style as we are limited on space and ability due to our historic structures' limitations. However, there are so many wonderful local bakeries and cafes within a couple blocks of the hotel that we do encourage guests to investigate some of those options.

We are fully air conditioned via central AC. Each room is equipped with a floor fan to enhance personal comfort if desired.

We look forward to you staying with us again and perhaps trying a different room.

Jonathan, Hotel Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is one of those hotels that some people (including me) love, and others don't - so if you want big, sterile, Hampton-style rooms, and vast smooth parking lots, look elsewhere. It's in a historic building that includes a functioning movie theater, and is in the process (slow, I think) of renovation. Lobby is small but loaded with beautiful art deco touches (the floor, the paneling, the curvy shape, the chairs). Because of the movie theater, it always has a faint smell of popcorn. I had a room on the back of the hotel, which was small (as I knew in advance) but totally functional. Cute, vintage furniture, original art on the walls. One minor problem: No AC (which is OK in Vermont) but you can open the windows, and use the robust electric fans provided. Well, good, except there are no screens, because these are the original 1920s windows which pivot outward. So while I was very comfortable sleeping, the mosquitoes found me. The building includes various commercial and miscellaneous spaces, besides the hotel and theater, and the parking lot is at the end of the building - so half a block from the hotel door. Very nice folks at the desk, happy to offer advice on where to go. I didn't eat the hotel breakfast (lots of good cafes nearby for that) but it looked kind of minimal. Close to lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: I asked for a room in the back, based on earlier reviews here. I didn't hear any noise to speak...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Kinnelon, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband planned a mystery trip to celebrate my birthday. We stayed at the Latchis hotel in downtown Brattleboro and loved the experience. The hotel is clean, the reception area is welcoming and the staff, Karen, Savannah and Jonathan are just the best. They made our stay comfortable, answered all our questions and helped us explore this delightful town with friendly people, great eating places and good coffee.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thomas-Sommer
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

It is amazing how the reception changes your mood for better or worse. Helena, the receptionist is such a charming, lovely young lady. We instantly felt at home, welcome and wanted to like this hotel.
And we did - at first, anyhow. Situated right across from a great brewery where we had an excellent evening overlooking the river (different report: look up the Whetstone Station Brewery), we felt at ease right away. The room is nice, clean, a bit dated with the to coat coming off the bathtub... But what do you expect? It is not an expensive hotel. The bed is great! Not as
soft as some hotels believe in - I hate too soft! So this was perfect. Just make sure that you remove the plastic under sheet (why do hotels still do this and think that they can get away with it?) if you don't want to sleep "in your own juices".
I had a great sleep - until 6:00 am. Then the traffic down below woke me up. Got it was loud! Plus the walls are like paper. You can he everything your next door neighbor or the people in the hallway do or say... Every door that is opened or closed in the hallway is as if it was next to your bed. So if you're in town for business and have to get up early anyhow, this is a great little place. Holidays, long sleep ins? Forget it!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spuetz
As the Manager of this great historic hotel, I am disturbed to read that this guest experienced such disruptive noise in their room. Granted we are on Main Street and we cannot control the traffic. We do have much quieter rooms on the interior side of the hotel for sensitive sleepers. We also offer sound spa units for noise masking that the guests can check out.

We do not and have not, at any time, ever placed plastic liners on our beds. We have industry standard hospitality grade quilted cotton mattress pads. The only thing I can possible consider is that a new mattress did not get it's plastic factory shipping cover removed when installed. This would be unlikely as our housekeepers would have found this and removed it. I will investigate!

As for the noise, we consider many methods of control but really, I have never been in any hotel where I could not hear a door close or the elevator ding or people chatting in the hallways and so on. Some of us are more sensitive to noise that would not intrude on the next person. I don't think there is a simple answer other than we offer some reasonable solutions. Also the guest should always ask for a quieter location in the hotel if they are noise sensitive (anywhere you stay).

Regards,

Jonathan
providence, ri
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our party of three stayed overnight on our way home to Rhode Island during a recent motorcycle trip. After spending the previous two nights in boring "could-be-anywhere-because-they-all-look-alike" chain hotels, we found the Latchis to be a real pleasure. We had a two bedroom suite that overlooked the downtown area. There was a little sitting room between them and except for the odd fact that the smaller bedroom did not have it's own bathroom (due to the quirks of the original set-up I suppose), we enjoyed our stay very much. It is a short walk (about a block) to the Whetstone where we had a fabulous dinner on the upper deck with a fabulous view! There are also several bakeries/cafes within easy walking distance and we choose one of these for breakfast.
Parking was not an issue for us as we were on two motorcycles and fit nicely in the corner of the lot.
The whole place has been wonderfully restored (those original bathroom fixtures included!) and I felt like Nick & Nora would come laughing through the front lobby any minute. (and if you don't know who Nick & Nora are, well...)
Not even the fact that I managed to loose my phone (pretty sure I left it sitting on the bike...) detracted from a great stay. We plan on going back soon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed in July when temps were in the upper 90's. You can't control the A/C, but there was a room fan & we were comfortable. We were in Rm 307 which provided a nice view of the mountains in New Hampshire and also overlooked the main road. The hotel was a PERFECT location. You could walk to shops, restaurants and even to New Hampshire. The staff was very nice and welcoming. The room was spacious. It is not a "modern" hotel, but kept with the time period in which it was built. I would definitely stay there again. I would note that the mattresses were very firm. It was fine for us, but others may prefer something softer. The breakfast was simple. I would only suggest that they add a couple more fruit options like bananas and grapes. Overall though, it was a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Room 307 provided a great view of the mountains. It is on the main road, so noise could potentially...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Colonial Motel & Spa
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Comfort Inn & Suites Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Latchis Hotel? Share your experiences!