Latchis Hotel
Black Mountain Inn(Brattleboro)
US$79
US$77
US$166
All reviewsart decomovie theatermain streetmountain viewdowntown brattleborocontinental breakfastterrazzo floorsco opstreet noiseconnecticut riverboutique hoteloriginal fixturesstep back in timethe silver screen roomgreat downtown locationcookie cutterbathroom fixtures
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We spent a night at the Latchis Hotel and had a great stay. Our room (#307) was "The Silver Screen" room and was recently redone in all silver and black, with movie star photos and gorgeous purple lounge chairs. The room was very spacious and featured fabulous Art Deco details such as steel casement windows and Terrazzo detailing. The view was lovely, over Main Street to the river and mountain beyond. Overall the hotel is very attractive and has great architectural Art Deco details and a good vibe. The staff was friendly. The cons would be that there is definitely early morning street noise on Main Street so the room wasn't the quietest, and the free breakfast is very basic. But those are outweighed by the pros.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed in boutique/retro hotels before so I feel I have a handle on just how "quirky" they can be and this hotel was no exception. We were in 3 rooms during our stay and the difference between them was huge. When booking I would definitely ask for a newly renovated room with AC (summer), our first room was not renovated and was very, very dingy and no AC; the second room was newly renovated but no AC and we roasted, only had a fan; our last room was newly renovated with AC and was perfect!
I was surprised that our stay didn't include theater tickets since your in a movie theater. We've stayed at theater hotels before and tickets were included in the services. So, a bit surprised when I asked about tickets as was told we had a "special" entrance, but paid the same price as non-guests. The popcorn smell other reviewers discuss is apparent in the lobby, but I never really noticed it anywhere else.
The continental breakfast is very basic, some bread products, a few cereals, yogurt and coffee. But there was a little bakery down the street with good coffee that we went to every morning...Amy's Bakery Arts Cafe.
This is not a quiet hotel, be prepared for a lot of hallway and street noise. They also don't have the lobby staffed all night so we had no real recourse when our "neighbors" came back drunk at 2am and were partying until almost 3am. But again, we've stayed in boutique hotels before and noise is usually an issue.
The location was perfect for us! Easily walked to lunch and dinner when in Brattleboro, and simple access to highways for our travels to other towns.

Room Tip: 1) ask for a newly renovated room w/AC for summer visits 2) bring earplugs 3) enjoy the location, easy walk to fun shops, a brewery and restaurants
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Staying at the Latchis Hotel was fun, though pricey. Located in the middle of the downtown area made walking to restaurants easy. The movie theater right in the hotel was good fun. We didn't much care for the continental breakfast (usual carb heavy fare with hard-boiled eggs). There was fresh fruit one day but only packaged fruit the next. We opted out on day two and went to a local breakfast restaurant. The room was clean and had everything we needed including ample towels. The plumbing is loud and the shower took a very long time to warm up. It's also noisy since you will get street noise if you're on that side of the building.

Room Tip: If noise will bother you, chose the side of the building that isn't on Main Street.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I purchased the king room package. It included a nights stay, movie tickets and dinner. The room was both clean and comfortable. It is an older hotel which has been renovated and beautifully decorated. All the essentials were provided. We ate at Whetstone Station microbrewery which has a great waterfront location and excellent food and service. We were not able to use the movie tickets but did give them to our waiter to enjoy. This is a beautiful town with nice gift shops and restaurants. We would definitely stay at the Latchis Hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms are small. Ask for a mountain view room.
1  Thank CherylKC
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I just came back from a one night stay at the Latchis and hope to return again soon.

I made a last minute decision for a mini road trip to Vermont, and having never visited Brattleboro, I needed a place that was easily accessible to the restaurants and shops. From the moment I called and when I checked in to the moment I checked out, the staff were nothing but professional and kind.

The room itself wasn't bad, it was a queen sized bed with a view of the mountain and street below. It was 132 dollars and I felt that was a fair price given the view and the fact it's June (just the start of tourist season).

It was clean for the most part, very comfortable, and I felt quite safe (I was traveling solo). The only issue I had was with the door initially, but once I figured out how to open the lock it was fine! The building is old, too, so I took that into consideration. It's not the Ritz Carlton and it's not 4 stars, but it is well maintained for being an older property. For those who are complaining about breakfast - it's basic for you to start your day. Plus, it's included in your rate! I had no problem with the assortment of food they provided. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that they had Tazo tea! (The wild orange is my favorite flavor!)

There is a theatre also in the building but I wasn't able to catch a movie (as there was nothing that piqued my interest) but perhaps on my next visit.

I was able to walk to Flat Street Pub as well as other shops. There is a co op market down the street and an awesome looking vegetarian cafe (I didn't eat there but it looked amazing! Maybe next time I'll stop in there).

Overall, it was a positive experience. The staff there are the true stars. They are some of the friendliest I've encountered on my travels. It also cannot be beat as far as location goes. Brattleboro is an easy town to walk around in and being able to park my car in the hotel lot saved a lot of stress. I would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014