“Wow!”

Ranked #15 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant offering classic and creative New England fare in a rustic New England atmosphere with our barn style lounge, covered bridge dining room and fireplaces.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were driving by looking for restaurants and found positive reviews online so we pulled in. We are so glad we did! The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is rustic. Our waitress was extremely pleasant and attentive. Two of us ordered the ravioli with vodka sauce and a balsamic reduction and two others ordered a seafood dish and a steak dish. Everything was fantastic! Casual dining at it's best. Will definitely go back when we are in the area again.

There are newer reviews for The New England House

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

On Sunday April 12 around 8 at night or 1 hour before closing my girlfriend and I went to have dinner at the New England house . After having 3 previous visits here and having steak on every visit and finding my filet mignon excellent and cooked by the chef himself we were disappointed to get the same meal less than what we had expected. The steak was a lesser cut and the vegetables came on the side instead of a garnish on the steak as previous visits. The garlic mashed potatoes came barley warm and unflavored . The owner finally came to the table and told us a trainee was preparing our meal . On top of all this the waitress was either ignoring us or not attentive and never brought my soup her response was " I'm
Sorry I will take it of the bill" now when I go to get steak after a right up on local papers about the new Chef I should get the chef to prepare my meal and not a trianee.

1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and I were in town for one evening and saw an ad for this restaurant. The ad claimed “best steak in town” with a casual dining atmosphere. Since this is the only place we ate in town I can’t attest to it being the best in Brattleboro, but it was definitely one of the best steaks I have had. My wife’s was cooked a perfect medium and mine was right on at medium-well. The salads were fresh and had a variety of toppings, the bake potatoes we cooked perfect and the homemade bread was an extra treat.

In addition to the food being excellent, the staff was friendly and helpful. We sat next to the open fireplace in the “bar” area. Beautiful rustic décor and antiques decorated the room. All in all, we had a very satisfying meal and enjoyable evening. I would highly recommend eating here!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Our first experience dining here after passing by often and reading an article in the local paper.
We didn't make a reservation, but now know that we can. There were couples and families; children of various ages (all well behaved, I might add).
Our waitress was attentive and very pleasant. We ordered a mussel appetizer from the daily specials menu (presented on slate....nice VT touch) to share. It was perfect; plump PEI mussels in a cream sauce begging for bread to dip. Hot rolls came with the salad my husband ordered and we asked for extra rolls which came quickly.
He ordered the duck special which came as ordered (medium) and I had the chicken marsala which was also quite good. The chicken was cooked perfectly. I would have liked a few more mushrooms in the marsala sauce. The rice pilaf was nothing special, but the chicken more than made up for it.
My husband finished his meal with raspberry sorbet with chocolate sauce and a cup of a coffee. The desserts were interesting, but surprisingly, no chocolate :( and for me, it isn't dessert unless it's chocolate.....
The physical layout could use some work.....updated tables and chairs and cutlery that matches the weight of the food. (the cutlery was more suited to a cafeteria, the chairs not very comfortable). The food however, is worth going back for. I hope the new owners will be able to make some improvements over a period of time.

1  Thank lgsma
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We dined here while staying in Brattleboro for a ski weekend. The atmosphere was rustic, colonial, tavernish - cozy and casual. (There was some renovation going on in the entrance area, but the dining area was comfortable and attractive.) Tables are arranged in a large room around a central bar; spacing was good for conversation. There were TVs hanging from the corners of the room.
Food was good, homey, New Englandish. There were good local beer selections.
A pleasant dining experience - atmosphere fit with the mood of our old fashioned New England ski weekend.