“Wouldn't go back”

Ranked #15 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant offering classic and creative New England fare in a rustic New England atmosphere with our barn style lounge, covered bridge dining room and fireplaces.
New York
“Wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my first time at this restaurant and I wasn't impressed at all. We had to ask for everything from just basic silverware, to ketchup, refills to steak knives for our steaks, ( I will get to the steaks in a bit). The waitress seemed very nice but kind of flustered ( place didn't seem all that busy) and I got the feeling she was abit fed up with all our request but they were requests we shouldn't of had to be making. Three out of four orders were wrong. I asked for sweet potato fries and received regular fries, my boyfriend asked for a medium well steak and he got a very very well done steak, his dad asked for a well done steak and he got a medium rare steak. The salads did not come out before the meal instead the salads were given with the meal, how odd is that? Still had to pay full price for everything even though orders were wrong. Not much else to say.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank J C

“Boring”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We live in town and have seen the many incarnations of this restaurant. This incarnation is mediocre.
We started out with the calamari which was just average. My main course was the steak and shrimp scampi. The steak was okay, but the scampi lacked zing. My husband ordered the NY Sirloin with the fried tobacco onions and a brown sauce.
I ordered the cream puffs with strawberries which had an overpowering orange flavor. The nicest thing I can say is that it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank xatobunny
Keene, New Hampshire
“World Class Food”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

World class food and great service brought smiles to me and my family after a long day with miles to go on our trip. I travel to the seacoast often and have eaten shrimp cocktail at every seafood restaurant on the NH coast. The shrimp cocktail at The New England House is by far the best i've had, and leaves all the others a distant second. The owner/operators visited with us while we were there and even made a wine recommendation that suited us perfectly. The food was great, with the steaks cooked perfectly and the desserts (all homemade, no frozen, chain restaurant stuff here) creamy and filing. I'll be back over and over and recommend friends and family do the same.

• Visited June 2014
“Now Way Below Average”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Under its previous ownership we always found this restaurant average or slightly below. Food was of average price and value -- never the best option in town, never horrible. Service was slow but friendly. Back then, a solid "3" on the Trip Adviser scale.

Under its new ownership the New England House has slipped badly. Service is very slow and indifferent, bordering on hostile -- quite defensive when errors are pointed out. Last night we were served five rolls and five bread plates, even though there were six of us. Silverware arrived 25 minutes after we were seated, long after the rolls and only when we asked for it. When we requested additional rolls because of the length of the wait, we were told our dinners were sitting right there on the counter, ready to be brought to us. When they arrived, meals were cold -- perhaps they would have sat there forever if we hadn't requested additional rolls.

We pointed out several discrepancies between the menu and what was actually served. Two teenagers and one adult had ordered the red, white and blue nachos, long a favored feature at this restaurant. But the nachos arrived a monochromatic yellow. With no sour cream and no salsa, both promised on the menu. Nachos were verging on burned, and lacked the traditional diversity of flavor. My own Caesar salad was bland and uninspired -- not awful, just mediocre.

Server indicated that the new owners (now 6-9 months in) were working on a new menu but didn't want to make too many changes too quickly. Apparently it never occurred to her to explain the discrepancies when (three!) people ordered a dish whose contents had changed.

Even amidst Brattleboro's declining restaurant scene, there are plenty of better options.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bill W
Kurt J, Owner at The New England House, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your review. All reviews good or bad are an opportunity for us to ever improve upon our goals of great food and friendly efficient service. With the recent positive reviews we were surprised to understand that your complaint was based on the fact that we did not serve nachos made with food colored chips and that your table was erroneously shorted a bread roll. The server in question is well known in the community as someone who is very friendly, professional and in fact a long time server here with the former owners. During our transition we elected to continue with the former menu while introducing a wide variety of daily fresh specials especially as we took over during the busy season. Now as we go forward, a new menu is shortly out and along with the many continued decor improvements, which have been overwhelmingly well received, we continue in our goal to provide customers a great experience. We invite you back -pls ask for me- and look forward to improving upon your next visit.
“Atmosphere & Food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for the Top Five Star restaurant this is the place! Great atmosphere and variety of surf and turf.