“8/17/14 Worst Service Ever!”

The New England House
Ranked #17 of 110 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant offering classic and creative New England fare in a rustic New England atmosphere with our barn style lounge, covered bridge dining room and fireplaces.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have been regulars at this establishment for years. We went in for dinner and sat at the bar. Waited 15 minutes to get a drink, another 15 minutes to order. We ordered appetizers and dinner all at once ( stating what we wanted as apps and what we wanted for dinner). Waited an hour to have one dinner come out, no apps. And be told by the owner/cook that it was our fault we did not order right. Needless to say we did not stay for dinner. The Bartender did not know what she was doing and should not have been behind the bar! Broke a glass in the cooler and continued to use the other glasses from the cooler. Next time the owner should not send the help home before dinner rush.

4  Thank Amy F
Kurt J, Owner at The New England House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

I'm saddened to read this and the previous review from her husband- our regular and dear customers. Sunday evening - indeed we got slammed and had on the bar a new bartender who was unable to cope. During the rush, the bartender failed to enter the order correctly and the main course and apps went up at the same time. Our guests received the main first and were obviously and rightly so upset. It is unfortunate however that they seek to make this personal. In no way did I blame the guest for this mishap and was not given an opportunity to find out what had happened.
Yes, we are new owners and we work very hard to ensure we deliver a good dining experience. When things go wrong- and they do in every restaurant, then I seek to make it right. We have always tried to put out best foot forward and embrace our new community with sincerity and respect.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I visited The New England House this past Friday night, and was extremely pleased with my experience. I have been here about 3 or 4 times before, all with my Uncle who lives up the road, and while there is apparently new ownership, it seems like the same great restaurant that it always has been.
Even though it was a Friday night we were seated immediately, which was nice because my wife and I had just driven in from Ohio, and were very ready for dinner!
The rolls at The New England House are great, and I really like their butter...probably because my mind tells me that butter in Vermont is better than butter anywhere else!
I ordered a salad with 1000 Island dressing, and it was a good basic salad...very large portion, which I liked.
For my main course I ordered the rib eye, cooked medium rare. It was prepared to my request, and came with coleslaw, which was excellent. The steak was perfect if you ask me, and I try my best to eat steak whenever I go to nice restaurants. My wife ordered the maple cream scallops, and I was able to fight for one bite, and they seemed amazing as well. Very tender and beautifully plated.
I ordered a glass of Malbec, which is one of my favorite wines to drink with steak, and it was enjoyable.
I don't know why some people have been posting negative reviews of The New England House, especially since the turnover in ownership...it is still the same great restaurant, and my Uncle and his partner love to come here whenever they can, and that says a lot to me about the efforts of the current staff to hold themselves to high standards.
Don't miss this beautiful building, the great food and the friendly service!

2  Thank Phil K
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my first time at this restaurant and I wasn't impressed at all. We had to ask for everything from just basic silverware, to ketchup, refills to steak knives for our steaks, ( I will get to the steaks in a bit). The waitress seemed very nice but kind of flustered ( place didn't seem all that busy) and I got the feeling she was abit fed up with all our request but they were requests we shouldn't of had to be making. Three out of four orders were wrong. I asked for sweet potato fries and received regular fries, my boyfriend asked for a medium well steak and he got a very very well done steak, his dad asked for a well done steak and he got a medium rare steak. The salads did not come out before the meal instead the salads were given with the meal, how odd is that? Still had to pay full price for everything even though orders were wrong. Not much else to say.

1  Thank J C
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We live in town and have seen the many incarnations of this restaurant. This incarnation is mediocre.
We started out with the calamari which was just average. My main course was the steak and shrimp scampi. The steak was okay, but the scampi lacked zing. My husband ordered the NY Sirloin with the fried tobacco onions and a brown sauce.
I ordered the cream puffs with strawberries which had an overpowering orange flavor. The nicest thing I can say is that it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

1  Thank xatobunny
Reviewed 4 June 2014

World class food and great service brought smiles to me and my family after a long day with miles to go on our trip. I travel to the seacoast often and have eaten shrimp cocktail at every seafood restaurant on the NH coast. The shrimp cocktail at The New England House is by far the best i've had, and leaves all the others a distant second. The owner/operators visited with us while we were there and even made a wine recommendation that suited us perfectly. The food was great, with the steaks cooked perfectly and the desserts (all homemade, no frozen, chain restaurant stuff here) creamy and filing. I'll be back over and over and recommend friends and family do the same.