“Best Fast Food in New England”

Black Bear Sugarworks Farm Stand
Price range: US$4 - US$9
Cuisines: Fast food
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: We are moving to Brooklyn, New York. With luck we should be open by late August.
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Coming home from vacation in northern Vermont we stopped by this little "hotdog" stand for a quick bite. Right off exit 1 off of Interstate 91 it is a real gem. The grass fed beef hotdog served on a locally baked hot dog bun was the best I have ever eaten. The grilled cheese was just as fabulous with Vermont made cheese and homegrown tomatoes. The lemonade is fresh. Even more heavenly is the Maple Creamy. Soft serve ice cream packed with maple goodness. I even bought 2 quarts of their maple syrup. This place is quintessential Vermont experience that's convenient and affordable.

2  Thank Christine C

Reviewed 28 September 2011

Great, unexpected experience! The perfect addition to a beautiful fall day!

We stopped in to this foodstand because we saw a sign saying "Local Pork for sale" and we quickly pulled in. We got a hot dog, and lots of frozen pieces of pork from the farmer's most recent pig. I have not yet cooked the pig, but I am predicting it is delightful!

The farmer was great! Honest, helpful, and kind. He worked day and night to make his farm successful, and we were so fortunate to get his outlook on his experience as a farmer in VT.

As a tourist/consumer, we can make a huge difference in the local community. Right now, VT is struggling, so make sure to buy local. Farm stands like Black Bear Sugarworks are perfect to support because they are safe, fun, and support the local agriculture.

Make a special trip down 89, off at Exit 1. You will not regret it!

2  Thank christyna50
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had a great time at this quick little stop. Friendly owner, good hot dog, wonderful lemonade on a hot day. Best of all is, of course, the maple sugar treats! Totally worth getting off the highway for. I'll always stop by when in southern Vermont!

2  Thank CBrodrick
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I stopped by the stand today for the first time. I have to say I am already looking forward to the next time I go up to Brattleboro. I had the best hod dog I have ever had. It wasn't just that the frankfurter itself was excellent, it is made with grass fed beef, but the toppings on it were fantastic; maple mustard and caramelized onions topped it off. It is aptly named the "Vermonter". I look forward to trying the rest of the menu there. Everything is made from top quality ingredients. If you are looking for something very regional in nature, excellent ingredients and inexpensive this place would be hard to top.

1  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The Black Bear Sugarworks Farmstand is a great place to go get lunch on a summer afternoon. Most items on the menu are traditionally cheep and junky elsewhere, but instead are made with good ingredients and patience. When eating there I have try the chili cheese dog made with local grass feed beef, year old grafton cheddar cheese, and homemade chili. I will firmly stand by my beliefe that it is probably the best chili cheese you will ever eat. I have also had the old fashioned raspberry cream soda which was made infront of me using real cream, raspberries, and maple syrup as sweetener. It was incredibly fresh, creamy, and just sweet enough. Defiantly an excellant alternative to "normal" soda. Also, the soft serve ice cream was probably the best I have had. In fact, it was the only maple soft serve I have ever had and it too lived up to the quality of the other products at the stand. Oh and I can't leave out the delicious maple syrup and maple candy, that comes in a variety of grades, container sizes, and container types. While I have yet to try the other items on the menu I can only imagine that they are of the same caliber as what I have tried.

3  Thank kcrocker93