“Ah, not that special”

Ranked #17 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Price range: US$1 - US$9
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
Houston, Texas
“Ah, not that special”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This being our first visit to the area, and in early November (and a bit chilly), and being a late Saturday morning, we were looking for a nice spot to have a coffee and lunch. Reviews of this spot on T.A. were promising and so we went for it. Generally speaking…it was really just average, and honestly, just a bit disappointing. Where we expected to find fresh foods, warm setting, and a nice Vermont "vibe", what we experienced was a luke warm dining experience that felt more like a cafeteria than it did a cafe. The chicken soup was canned and not that warm. The clam chowder was good, but also caned. The chicken salad sandwich on 9 grain bread was just slightly better than horrible - the bread was cold and dry, the chicken salad lacked flavor. The only item worthy of note was my daughter's spinach egg omelet, that was great.

I'm not sure how this restaurant achieved a 4 1/2 plus rating on T.A. I do not know. The bagels looked good, but we did not try. And maybe the Paninis were good. Maybe we just ordered the wrong items. Is this place worth another try? Maybe but not for us. Just not enough there to make us come back.

• Visited November 2013

Brewster, Massachusetts
“Great food, average service”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The location is prime and I enjoyed looking out on the busy main street. My sandwich was delicious and full of fresh ingredients and my friend said her soup was excellent; however, the service left something to be desired. The format for getting one's food was unclear and calling out a name in a busy restaurant was ineffective so I waited and waited until I finally had to ask about my sandwich. It had been sitting on the counter for a long time. Otherwise, it was a good experience and I would go back.

• Visited October 2013
Leverett, Massachusetts
“A reasonable breakfast in downtown”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Although the staff was cheery and helpful, and the food was fairly decent, the coffee was terrible and the bathrooms were so disgusting that it put us off.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank RQP
New Jersey
“Great Breakfast with Wholesome Foods”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great place right in the middle of town and one of the few open on Sundays. Excellent coffee and imagine, scrambled eggs in a paper cup! They pride themselves on obtaining organic foodstuffs and make most of their ingredients in-house. They also strive to support local farming operations by purchasing close to home. There are several locations in New Hampshire and Maine as well as Brattleboro and is worth a visit for breakfast.
You'll walk away satisfied!!!

• Visited August 2013
Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
TonyK300: Thank you for giving us a try, and for posting your review. I am truly delighted that our message of locally obtained and organic food is reaching our guests! I appreciate that you took the time to write such an extensive review. Please stop in again soon!
Brooklyn, New York
“Mediocre bagels; mediocre coffee”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Everything here is fine. Not great. Fine. It's a chain and the employees are chain-like employees and the fare is consistent mediocrity.

Visited April 2013
margesty: Thank you for stopping in, and for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your honesty. I'm sorry that you feel that you encountered "chain-like" employees; we do have 7 stores across New England, but we pride ourselves on our local help and enthusiasm.