“Nice hotel with spa and hot tub.”

Colonial Motel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I am really surprised by some of the comments. We drove all night from NC, arrived at 12.30, and check in was not till 2. They let us check in early at no cost and made sure we had everything we needed. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and had microwaves, small coffee pots, and refrigerators. It was affordable and we even stayed an extra night at a lower rate offered by the employees. They offer muffin as breakfast as well. free of charge It is central to everything and the manager gave us tips on things to see while we were there. Again what people are saying really shocks me...I went for a vacation and a nice, safe, quiet place to sleep. I didn't go with the plans of having the front desk clerk come to my room and tuck me in each night. I am already planning on going back next fall and I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I chose it because it was not a chain and had a local feel. This is a nice older layout with a good restaurant/tavern for evening drinks and dinner. No breakfast was offered. Has nice pools that I didn't use. One is indoors and probably terrific in the winter. Very friendly staff. I was in the older, two-story, wood-framed section at the back. The newer sections may be different from what I had.

My room was long overdue for the most basic refurbishment, and not very comfortable. Very large room. The smallish TV was too far from the bed to see well. The satellite TV reception was full of snow, but that may have been the weather. The king bed had a fairly thin mattress that was not very comfortable. The sheets and pillows felt and smelled fresh and clean.

The bath was more of a problem. The paint on the toilet seat had blistered at several spots and the absorbent pressed wood was exposed. The floor was worn and separating at a couple of places around the edges. Cleaning around those rough edges and corners was spotty.

This looks like a great older-style motor court style inn. If I ever hear that it has been refurbished, I'll go out of my way to stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid the two story bulilding at the back of the property.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom F
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in September. We really enjoyed staying here. Pool area was really nice and relaxing. They had excellent muffins in the morning and it was nice to be able to pick apples from the tree. The ownership has been changed and lot of improvements have been made. The hotel was pet friendly which was nice and convenient for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a quiet peaceful sleep.

Room Tip: Get a larger room back by the pool and spa which faces the lawn.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here for three nights this year as we have for many years.
Although there seems to be a change in ownership we did not see
any changes in the quality of service or the condition of the rooms
and buildings, clean & comfortable as usual
In our opinion the Colonial is still the best value in Brattleboro
Will continue to book our reservations here.

Room Tip: If room size is important they do offer standard & deluxe size rooms. The up charge is not sign...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very nice location and room servecies.Good Swiming pool,excellent restaurent with liquor.very good hospitality and staff support and Very special thing is peace of mind with nature friendly evniornment there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After reviewing several places to stay during our halfway mark up to the north country of NH we decided for an inexpensive (as in $77.00/night) motel so as to save more $ for the rest of our trip. We definitely got what we paid for: a dingy room with black mold around the bathtub, terrible lighting, and a questionable bed. I do want to mention however that the front office was exceptionally helpful and that the new owners are re-doing all the rooms. They do have a newer building all the way in the back of the main lobby/motel rooms and a large swimming pool. As we did not look at the newer rooms, one might assume they are better. They also have a restaurant off the lobby though we did not go there for dinner and opted instead for the Marina in downtown Brattleboro. However, we were prepared for just a one night stay at the most economical level possible and we got that. Unless they redo all their rooms I would never go back at any price given they conditions

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the newer building
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TonyK300
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I think that some of the reviews of this property are overly harsh. My family of 5 (myself, husband, three small children) have stayed here 4 separate times because we enjoy the Southern Vermont area, and this is an affordable motel with a large enough room to accommodate all of us with the kids in a separate sleeping area from the parents - a must for us at this point with our baby going down at 7pm. We always stay in one of the king suites, and I find them adequate. You just have to understand that this is a motel, and will be lacking many features that you find in more expensive properties. However, I found that if you ask for things (like extra towels, extra shampoo) you will be given them. Granted, who wants to ask? However, other area options do not have the combo of an indoor pool plus a separate sleeping area for the kids. So, we keep on coming back. This being said, housekeeping is only "ok" - one night was very clean, the next night was disappointing. The saltwater pool is very nice and the swimmers seemed not to mind our enthusiastic children sharing the pool with them (I understand that this can be annoying, but the other swimmers have been gracious). So, I would recommend this hotel, but just be aware that you are not paying for luxury and you will not get luxury - you will get an average motel with access to a nice pool in a really great area in Vermont, for an affordable price.

Room Tip: King suites can accommodate families with multiple children
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family