“Not bad for a motel”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Not bad for a motel”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We recently stayed 1 night at the Colonial Motel and Spa. We stayed in a Colonial King room, which we were told is twice as large as a standard room for just $20 more than a standard room. The room was rather large, and there was plenty of our room for all of our luggage, plus our dog and her crate.

The motel is set on a busy road with many conveniences nearby, e.g. a grocery store, restaurants, and laundromat.

Next to the motel is a an indoor pool and outdoor hot tub that is actually a small 'gym' for locals to attend, which is free for guests to use. This is definitely something you wouldn't expect at a motel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Nice hotel, simple the staff at the FD was very friendly and helpful. We wanted a late lunch since our dinner was schedule later in the evening.
Several suggestions in downtown Brattleboro VT.
Our rooms was large and comfortable, king bed, nice bathroom with the vanity right outside the shower area.
Refrigerator and microwave in the room, simple décor; not modern but for a short stay is a fine hotel.
I’m a former manager of 1 of only 2, 5 star hotel in Boston MA. I have an eye for details and vast knowledge of hotels. If you are looking for a simple place at a reasonable price try this place, the pools are great as well. Enjoy

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Guillermo L
Ayer, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The rooms need to be desperately updated. There is great potential to this hotel if they updated the room. I was not happy with the Front Desk Customer Service. I think the word is "smug" - they were not willing to go above and beyond to help you. I had to have a friend sleep on the floor because they were not willing to give us a cot. The rooms are very dirty - housekeeping needs to be trained on how to properly clean a room. There were cobwebs in my bathroom, not enough towels. Our door to our room would not work until I jiggled it a few times - the locks are so old. The carpets had stains on them. Also in the 2 room suite - our friends said that there seem to be a hole under the carpet in the middle of the room. This will be the last time we will stay here. If they update the hotel, then we may reconsider. It is too bad.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie C
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My family stayed here on a drive out east for one night. The rooms were clean but unfinished. It looks like they are doing renovations but not totally finished. In the bathroom it looked like they had laid new tile but did not clean the mud off the walls and ceiling and had not finished caulking outside the tub. There was also no trash basket in the bathroom which was inconvenient. There were no screens on the bathroom window or in the two windows over the couch, the other were painted shut. Our room was quite warm (with the heat turned all the way down). They had new curtains up but they were incredibly wrinkly, like they had been balled up in a bag. We did not use the pool or go to the restaurant, but both looked nice. The front desk staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I am really surprised by some of the comments. We drove all night from NC, arrived at 12.30, and check in was not till 2. They let us check in early at no cost and made sure we had everything we needed. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and had microwaves, small coffee pots, and refrigerators. It was affordable and we even stayed an extra night at a lower rate offered by the employees. They offer muffin as breakfast as well. free of charge It is central to everything and the manager gave us tips on things to see while we were there. Again what people are saying really shocks me...I went for a vacation and a nice, safe, quiet place to sleep. I didn't go with the plans of having the front desk clerk come to my room and tuck me in each night. I am already planning on going back next fall and I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I chose it because it was not a chain and had a local feel. This is a nice older layout with a good restaurant/tavern for evening drinks and dinner. No breakfast was offered. Has nice pools that I didn't use. One is indoors and probably terrific in the winter. Very friendly staff. I was in the older, two-story, wood-framed section at the back. The newer sections may be different from what I had.

My room was long overdue for the most basic refurbishment, and not very comfortable. Very large room. The smallish TV was too far from the bed to see well. The satellite TV reception was full of snow, but that may have been the weather. The king bed had a fairly thin mattress that was not very comfortable. The sheets and pillows felt and smelled fresh and clean.

The bath was more of a problem. The paint on the toilet seat had blistered at several spots and the absorbent pressed wood was exposed. The floor was worn and separating at a couple of places around the edges. Cleaning around those rough edges and corners was spotty.

This looks like a great older-style motor court style inn. If I ever hear that it has been refurbished, I'll go out of my way to stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid the two story bulilding at the back of the property.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom F
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in September. We really enjoyed staying here. Pool area was really nice and relaxing. They had excellent muffins in the morning and it was nice to be able to pick apples from the tree. The ownership has been changed and lot of improvements have been made. The hotel was pet friendly which was nice and convenient for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a quiet peaceful sleep.

Room Tip: Get a larger room back by the pool and spa which faces the lawn.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#3 of 10 in Brattleboro
Comfort Inn & Suites Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield

Been to Colonial Motel & Spa? Share your experiences!