“Deceptive Photos”

Colonial Motel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am writing this to try to save other people the aggravation I went through. I booked this motel by the pictures I saw on line. They made it look nice and clean. When I arrived the receptionist was pleasant and helpful. I then got to my room and it was nothing like I saw in the pictures. The room had an odor and just did not look clean. The linen in the bathroom was actually damp. I went back to the desk, gave back the key, and informed the receptionist I would not be staying there. She asked why and I told her that the room seemed dirty and was nothing like the pictures on line made it appear to be. Again she was pleasant, but said she could not refund my charge. She said she would talk to the manager and see what they would do. The next day I received an email with a cancellation fee for the full amount of the room. I understand a fee, but the full amount seemed a bit much, especially since there were rooms available. I would strongly suggest people look elsewhere if they need a room.

Room Tip: Go to another motel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank frank g
There are newer reviews for Colonial Motel & Spa

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have stayed at the Colonial twice on different occasions. The rooms have been clean and quiet and the first time we were in a HUGE room--easily half the size of my house---and the second in a smaller but still nice room. For us it is a good half way stop if leaving for Boston in the afternoon. Since Brattleboro is a small city nothing is too far away; the larger grocery and drug stores are across the street; Dunks is a few feet away; a few restaurants nearby---99 is just past the circle and a few others. Down town has some great shops and pubs and the WHETSTONE BREWERY with it's our door deck OVER the river is NOT TO BE MISSED. They also have indoor and roof seating and what looks to be fireplaces for winter. Food was EXCELLENT and the beer was very good.

The Colonial has several pools and I gather they do lessons and possibly have members who pay for access so you might not be alone in the pool. I have not used it so cannot comment on the quality.

I HAVE stayed in the two local cheaper "chain" hotels here and I would say--STAY AWAY. Both are filthy. The newer Hampton is super expensive and snotty. (And you don't want to BUY their hotel--you just want ONE room for a night--their prices are insane)

Room Tip: Well off the street--- quiet rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for one night, it's not the Marriott but the other local hotels with better ratings were full. The management pictures on tripadvisor do it much more than justice, more like poetic license / best side. On the plus side the room was clean, the bed comfortable, far enough off the road for quite and the tv worked. Looks like the owners are trying to improve the place, there are a lot of rooms, big old school roadside motel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We found this hotel in Brattleboro, Vermont while attending a school reunion in Putney, VT. We found it charming as well as reasonably priced. The front desk service was extremely friendly and hospitable. We would recommend this to any of our friends or family and plan on staying again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Got there late for a weekend getaway, stormy night , got to our room and went to the tavern 1st to get some food, food was very good a bit pricey, but well prepared, got to our room and looked around, not bad, old school tv and a/c unit, but we were tired so we hit the bed(very comfortable) next morning got up to take shower, bathroom needs work, some mold on ceiling, very loud exhaust fan and some moldy grout...plenty of hot water though, not great water pressure but sufficient,other than that room is ok, went to the indoor pool, nice and big but its set up for laps only(kind of weird) but we met some nice people and swam around a bit, then went outside to the hot tub( very nice and big...but the hours are too short for both so no late night swims or hot tub after 8:45 pm...oh well....checked out today and mentioned to the front desk about the so-so TV and the mold in the bathroom , I was then informed that there are new owners and all tyhe rooms have been redone except 9 rooms, one of which we were given...hold on here...the place was less than 30% full and you couldnt give us one of the new rooms???? Not cool....i will be sending a letter to the owners and find out what the deal was with this.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katscopalmcoast
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Dining was not an option opened at 5.00 and closed at 9.00. Advertising pictures very misleading. Bar not open and quaint NeW England Inn not experienced. Overall poor
. Would not recommend. Is not a spa. No treatments available other than outside massage.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Gail H
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I followed suggestions given here and got nowhere. I asked for a new or renovated room.They agreed when I called ahead but on arrival told me there are no renovated rooms or updated sections. Desk associate said instead that every room has been upgraded (meaning 'fixed') since new owners took over a year ago. Ton of work has been done incl painting,new carpets, repairs where needed, etc. She insisted there are no bad rooms and we would be happy in any room -understanding this is not the Ritz.
In an effort to save time and words:
Go to the Motel 6. The aunt I was visiting told me (too late) that many relatives have stayed at the Motel 6 with no complaints.
The bad:
requested a king bed; got a queen
very old air conditioner built in to the wall; dingy and ineffective
water lever in shower wouldn't turn far enough to get hot water
bathroom tiny
bathroom light switch also turns the bathroom fan on which was very LOUD
Therefore no light I could leave on while sleeping
freezer in the small fridge was so heavily frosted it was unusable.
Wifi free but not secured
old TV
The good:
Free wifi
comfortable bed - the most important issue in the end
microwave, fridge
coffeemaker, hair dryer
clean sheets & towels
new carpet
Furnishings were old but not in disrepair
clean room
friendly staff
central location
didn't need, use or want spa, pool, or restaurant
quiet except bathroom fan and showers in other rooms
Thank God we only needed one night; would not have stayed for a second one

Room Tip: disregard all tips here. They won't assign rooms in advance and gave false assurances when the s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank DMB5419
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Comfort Inn & Suites Brattleboro
Latchis Hotel
#3 of 10 in Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel

Been to Colonial Motel & Spa? Share your experiences!