“Confortable and cozy.”
Review of Black Mountain Inn

Black Mountain Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We didn't know what we might find and we had a nice surprise. Obviously this place has to be compared to other places of the same level of services. It's not a five-star hotel, but the rooms are big, plenty of towels, micro-wave oven, cable TV, WiFi, hair dryer and king beds. The hotel is run by an Indian family that add a mystique touch to the decoration. The breakfast is really good. When I come back to Brattleboro I'll stay there again if possible.

Room Tip: I stayed in a smoking apartment on the second floor and I think they are more silent for being more...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ana S

Reviewed 2 September 2011

I have stayed in many hotels of all price ranges and have to say that the staff at the America's Best was one of the most attentive I have ever experienced. I had to find a place to stay in Brattleboro as the roads to Wilmington where I live were out due to flooding from Irene and the staff bent over backwards to make sure that I felt at home in a very disconcerting time. The rooms are old and obiously could use sprucing up, but obviously the management has responded to previous reviews, as I felt the room, bathroom and linens were all very clean. The hotel is one of the only ones I could find that offered NESN for you sports fanatics that can't stand to miss a Yankees/Red Sox game. The bed was very comfortable and the room was completely noise free - a great night's sleep! The continental breakfast was adequate and actually more than I have seen in other hotels for the same price. Overall, it was the exceptional customer service that has me recommending this hotel for any budget minded travelers.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We decided to drive up to Brattleboro just to relax and see the area. On the way there we called the Inn and the lady was very nice and the room rate was very reasonable. When we got there and checked out the King non smoking roon, it was very musty and the sheets were not clean. We were give another room which was better. The towels however were soiled, the bath needed a good wash and so did the shower curtain. I was even afraid to walk barefooted in the room and on the bathroom floor. The A/c was extremely nosiy so I did not get a good nights sleep. The breakfast was enough to get us started on our journey. We did not try the pool. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. If this place improved on the rooms it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daytripper237
abibratt, Front Office Manager at Black Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Thank you for your review of our inn. We appreciate your compliments on our staff and continental breakfast. It is of utmost importance that our guests are treated with a high level of attentiveness and courtesy. Our "Best" breakfast at America's Best Inns include two types of juice, oatmeal, several bread options including assorted bagels and english muffins. We have now introduce hard boiled eggs in addition to accomodate our high protein diet conscious guests. I would also like to apologize that your guestroom bathroom needed more attention in cleanliness. During the busy summer months,there is more traffic in the hotel in general and I apologize that your bathroom floor felt dirty. We staff housekeeping round the clock and would have been happy to send them to your room and take care of whatever needed extra attention. Thank you again for your review, I appreciate your honesty and fourthright candor on our what we are doing right, and what we need to work on.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

When making our plans to travel from Bradford International Airport in Connecticut to Ludlow, Vermont, we booked this hotel because it was one of the only ones available. We should have done more research. While the hotel staff was nice, there was no other redeeming value in this hotel. The room was filthy and falling apart to the point where we had to ask twice for clean towels in our one day stay (one of the first pair of replacements was just as stained with blood, grease, and god knows what else). The blankets on the bed were stained with a crusty, white substance (I'll leave that to your imagination), so we stripped the bed and slept under just the sheet.

After staying the night in our hotel room, we avoided the continental breakfast for fear of food poisoning. The condiments were not stored in a sanitary way (re-using the same containers without cleaning them, leaving them at room temperature), the juice and coffee were watered down and the donuts were basically the kind you get pre-packaged from the supermarket.

We did not spend that much to stay at this hotel, but it would not be worth it at any price. This is the worst hotel I have ever been in or even heard of. Contrary to responses to other reviews on this site, the hotel is inexcusably unclean and needs to be shut down.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie H
abibratt, Front Office Manager at Black Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

I would like to thank you for your review of our inn,although I am disappointed that your guestroom laundry did not meet your expectations. All of our laundry is washed and sanitized in bleach and extremely hot water, yet, from time to time during our busy summer season laundry can become stained. I apologize that the towels you received had not been pre-examined properly. We do our best to provide a clean room to our guests at an affordable price. Our breakfast product condiments (peanut butter, jellies and butter) are stored at room temperature during breakfast hours only,after hours they are,of course, appropriately refridgerated. This provides better taste for our guests. Our coffee is Folger's Company, and we make it per the manufacter's standards. In either event, I thank you for the review, and have taken your complaints to heart.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I cant' say enough about our stay at this Inn. I am very particular when it comes to staying overnight, it has to meet my standards, that are high, I might add, and I always check the room out first. The owner was super nice and allowed me to do this, What I found was, a clean room, and a bathroom, that was five stars plus. Folks, take my advice, this Inn is without a doubt, the place to stay. I enjoyed the swimming Pool, and the breakfast they provided in the morning. They will see us again, and we look forward to it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Inn. I am so appreciative of your recommendation, as it sounds you put in the extra effort and research to assure a clean, comfortable and affordable stay when travelling. We work hard to provide our guests with these requirements and much more. Customer service is our corner stone, and since we have a management on premises during almost all first and second shifts, we can provide our guests with the special attention they deserve. We look forward to serving you again when your travel plans bring you back to Southern Vermont. Thank you again for your positive review, we truly appreciate knowing how pleasurable your stay with us was!

Reviewed 22 May 2011

Came across America Best Inn by chance at the last minute, was very pleasently surprised by the front desk staff, even more impressed by the price, and quite satisfied with the room quality. With fridge and water filter in room (a first I've seen in a hotel), and a pleasant continental breakfast included, this is one of the greatest values I have come across. Highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Inn during the middle of January for two nights, as we were going skiing at Mt. Snow. The only reason we booked here was because we were staying with friends who had booked here first and we wanted to be with them. However, first we had booked a room with two double beds but when we saw the size of the room decided to "upgrade" to a king size bed. Well I can say that the room was much bigger however, it was dirty. Rooms seemed to be "stuffy" and the heat was very, very noisy. The women at the front desk was very, very friendly and helpful. However, for the cost of the room I'm sure that you can find a hotel that is cleaner. I refused to walk around the bathroom or the rug barefoot and wouldn't let my boyfriend or myself sleep with that comforter on the bed. Room was just very dusty. Overall, it was a fine place to stay but for the price i strongly recommend you take your money somewhere else as there are numerous other places to stay. Brattleboro is an adorable town and a fantastic place to stay if you want to go to the MT. and be within driving distance.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monkey285
ABIBrattleboro, Front Office Manager at Black Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to be a clean, comfortable and competitively priced place to stay. I appreciate your kind comments on the front staff,as we pride ourselves on our courteous customer service. I apologize that the guestroom was dusty and the heater was loud. We have taken the necessary steps to recify these issues in regards of housekeeping and maintenance. Overall, it seems you felt our hotel was a "fine" place to stay, but fell short in the value all things considered. I would love the oppurtunity to give us another chance when you are enjoying skiing here in Vermont. Thank you again for your review.