“Charming with Character! Great view!”
Review of Dalem's Chalet

Dalem's Chalet
Ranked #4 of 4 Brattleboro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I had company coming to town and didn't want to put them on the busy, ugly strip. I didn't want to put them right in the center of downtown and they prefer the unusual, off-the-beaten path kind of places so I put them up at Dalem's Chalet in West Brattleboro. The outdoor pool was beautiful and quiet. It was very clean and half shaded by a huge old Oak tree and half in the bright sun. The setting is rural but on a hillside overlooking a church and mountainside. It's a little dated but I felt right at home and loved the innkeeper. I checked out several rooms because I was renting rooms for 3 families. The lower level rooms are very dated but clean. The mid-level rooms were a bit dated but cozy and sweet with traditional pine beam ceilings and the upper level rooms were much newer with private balconies. The nice thing is that ALL the rooms were reasonably priced especially for the season.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms with a private balcony were really nice!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ian D

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I loved staying here! The room was musty but I've stayed in places more expensive but a million times worse. The outdoor pool had a great view. The food was AMAZING. The whole vibe was really quaint and interesting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julsy709
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was a last minute weekend getaway and I did read the reviews here. This hotel needs major TLC. It is very dated but you can see how nice it once was. Room was musty and needed a good scrubbing. It was very inexpensive but it is bare bones.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisaf7
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Visible bedbugs and their droppings in the bed. We checked out immediately without spending the night and I hope we didn't bring any with us! The woman at the front desk refunded our money but yelled at me and vehemently denied it. I was calm and non confrontational (also had my sleepy children next to me in pj's) but she got very angry and refused to come see the room. Also it smelled moldy and the wall to wall carpeting was damp. An awful experience I hope no one shares!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank JandKids
Oad217, Owner at Dalem's Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

We are terribly sorry this customer was so unhappy with our room. She had rented the least expensive room on the lower level for she and her 4 other family members against my recommendation because the room is so small for 5 people. I was very busy checking in other guests and with the diningroom when she decided not to stay so I refunded her money and did not have time at that moment to look at the room. I did go down the next morning with an employee/witness to look the room over carefully. We turned over the matress, we pulled off all the bedding, we checked under the bed, in the corners of the room, and under chair cushions. We could not find any sign of bedbugs or any other kind of bugs. We are a family-run establishment and have been doing this for 48 years and have NEVER had a bug problem. Because of this customer's accusations, I have called the State of Vermont to come and do an extra inspection to confirm the fact that we do not, nor have we ever, had bedbugs.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed at the Dalem's Chalet in January with my husband and our dog for 3 days.
I have to admit that it could stand some renovation, but this does not mean the place is dirty or badly kept. People sometime can't distinguish between old and dirty. The rooms have everything you need and unless you are used to 5+ stars hotels, you'll be fine. I've seen many newer places that were much dirtier.
The owner, Mrs Ursula, is a sweetheart. She let my dog stay for free and one afternoon invited me over for a chat in front of the fireplace and some truffles. She has so many stories to tell!
Overall, the price is absolutely acceptable for what they offer and if you are not too picky, this is definitely a place I would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank uberland
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We stayed here for one night on our journey thru VT in early Oct to see the colors. Got great prices from the internet, but made our reservations by phone. The sweet woman running the place said we didn't need a email confirmation, so we crossed our fingers. When we arrived we got the room just fine and pretty much had the place to ourselves (one other guest). The place sits on a bluff up from the main road, so noise was minimal. (The photo of the property is probably 50 years old, so the pond is totally overgrown.) The room (downstairs King) was very spacious, clean, well insulated (walls have to be 12" thick with a wood storm door for winter) with good coffee setup and refrigerator in the room, a wonderful bed but with a low ceiling (which didn't bother us at all). Wi-fi worked but sluggish. We didn't get a chance to sample the German cooking at their restaurant as it was closed that day. Overall, I have to say that this place is a good budget stop for those looking for a non-chain motel run by very friendly down-home folks close to some of the ski areas. We would definitely stay again given the chance.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DJSwift
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed at Dalem's Chalet during hurricane Irene and a year later, were very happy with the rooms, dining hall, delicious food, quaint ambience, very friendly service, kind advice about the surroundings, internet connection, adaptability to our needs. A huge wedding party was there last time, and they seemed more than comfortable and happy.This is the place to stay in the Brattleboro area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family