“average”

Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were the first patrons of the day, and felt like we were intruding on the BT and her "guest". Beer was average.

1  Thank The-Flying-Circus
There are newer reviews for McNeill's Brewery and Pub

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My friend and I are big beer fans and love a good brewery or dive bar. It takes a lot to make us feel uncomfortable in one of these establishments, but McNeill's definitely was the first. We walked in to local patrons glaring at us like we invaded their territory. The bartender didn't acknowledge or existence so we just grabbed seats at one of the tables. Turns out there was no service at the tables and the bartender didn't seem to care.

My friend walked up to the bar to get some beers and asked what was on tap. We were not very familiar with McNeill's at all.They have chalkboards above the back bar that are packed with so much info on menu and swag that the actual tap list is the last board just past the bar. We never really saw it until it was pointed out. My friend had three samples and was never told what any of the samples were. She finally just got us both mystery beer #3 and called it a done deal.

The beer was warm. The bar itself had the atmosphere of a dive bar, which we embrace, but I was immediately turned off when one of the patrons was happily hydrated and took his shirt off at the bar as a joke (I think) and no one seemed to care except for my friend and I.

We have never chugged a beer and bolted from a bar until this one. The entire experience pretty much ruined a good afternoon. I am also surprised at how much they can charge for a beer when other bars that don't brew their own can charge less even though they have overhead to pay as well. We will not be going back and I am surprised that they are a part of the Vermont Brewer's association given their lack of standards.

1  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is the best pub in Brattleboro. It has a really homey feel to it, and the people who work there are so friendly. The beer is excellent, and brewed right there! I could have stayed for hours, I was having so much fun!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Not impressed. We left before we finished our beers, which is saying something as we all enjoy a good pint. Skip this place there are plenty of better options in town.

1  Thank S_travels4fun
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Fabulous scenery whilst you enjoy the great food and service! The staff extremely friendly and helpful