“Fast, Fresh, Fantastic!!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Wilmington, Vermont
“Fast, Fresh, Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I found myself in Brattleboro, VT around lunch time and felt it was time to revisit an old favorite, the Top of the Hill Grill. I pulled in at 12:15 with a lunch crowd beginning to form. There were about 8 folks in line prior to myself and I was ordering in less than 7 minutes.

The staff I had contact with were young, but well seasoned, smiling and attentive. I asked for a signature dish, and was promptly provided with a list of top sellers including Burnt Ends, Fajitas and a fish dishes. I was quickly impressed by her knowledge of what's popular, rather than the typical teenager response that, "It's all good.". I had been eyeing the Gumbo and jambalaya on the menu, but really wanted to try the dishes that have helped make them successful.

Playing cards were handed out as numbers which were called out quickly over a raspy pa so you had to pay a bit of attention to hear your call. My order was up in less time than I'd waited in line, it was worth both waits.

When my 5 of clubs was called, I picked up my dish. It looked delish! The server asked if I wanted BBQ sauce, and while the dish looked like it didn't require it, I didn't want to miss anything if the sauce had something to add to it. Let me tell you, the dish was fine as is, and you won't need the sauce.

While I enjoyed my lunch, I'll add that I stopped here with a bit of nostalgia in my heart. I hadn't been there in probably 16-17 years, when it was just a trailer and a couple of picnic tables, with great food at an earnest price. Back then I'd take my plate back across the street where I worked and eat at my desk, as the scenery around the place was rather drab and uninviting.

WOW! How this place has changed! The food is still great, but the ambiance is phenomenal! Many of tables of varying sizes, in various locales, on the ground, or on the deck overlooking the wetlands surrounding the West River, in the sun, in the shade, or protected from rain beneath a tent, load of seating, loads of options. I happened to be there on a mild sunny day and chose a shady spot beneath a tree on the deck. The variety and ambiance of the place actually made the view--beautiful. I've seen that view many times before the improvements, and would've described it then as the mosquito ridden armpit of Brattleboro. Not now, It's highly relaxing, and breathtaking, and my meal was not disturbed by insects. With the highway within a couple 150' from the tables, everything was set up in a way that made it look completely secluded from a busy state highway.

When it was all over, I was back on the road within 30 minutes of stepping out of my car door. I felt I enhoyed my lunch in a timely fashion, and took half of the lunch back home to share with my wife, as we found ourselves nibbling on morsels throughout the rest of teh afternoon.

I truly salute the management of this operation for takign a small roadside stand and creating a eating vacation destination just off of Putney road. I've still got that hankering for Jambalaya, and can't wait to find myself in Brattleboro Again!

• Visited August 2014

Tucson, AZ
“Grateful for Vegetable-y Dishes”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Based on the appearance of the place from the side of the road, and the way BBQ sauce invariably has sugar as its second or third ingredient, I was not hopeful I would be able to find anything to eat compatible with my strictly "no table sugar" regimen. But we were meeting family there, so what could I do? I thought I might just end up drinking a water, saying I wasn't hungry and just socializing.

To my surprise and great relief, the Top of the Hill Grill offers a dish called "Roasted Root Vegetables" that is just that--some roasted root vegetables. It was a very generous portion size. The potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables in the dish were roasted (with non-sugar spices) to a delicious succulent perfection, and the servers at the counter were friendly taking the order and the payment.

The setting, overlooking a river that winds through a tree-lined valley, is, to say the least, pleasant.

The only downside was how very, very long it took for customers to be allowed to place their orders at the counter (coupled with how long it seemed to take for food orders to become ready and be called out for customers to come pick them up.) So, for example, after drinking the bottle of water I bought with my meal, I decided I wanted another one. But there was a very long, extremely slow-moving line of customers I would have had to wait in just to get this second bottle. My dining companions and I sat for at least another hour chatting, during which time the line finally died down to only three people in it, at which point I got back in line to get my water. But even with only three people in line ahead of me, it was a pretty darn long wait. Why so slow, Joe/Jon?

Over all, though, a positive experience. I do recommend it. Maybe just bring your own water. And be prepared for slow service.

Verona
“Brattleboro BBQ....”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We used Jon's "Top of the Hill Grill" as the food star of our recent Vermont wedding. Multiple visits to "TOHG" had convinced us that Jon was more than up to the task of cooking for our 200 guests. Pulled Pork and BBQ'ed Chicken were the order of the day... but really, all of the barbecue dishes are great. The Mac and Cheese, (with locally produced VT Cheddar) is THE BEST MAC AND CHEESE that I have ever had (sorry Mom), and the baked beans and corn bread are great in their own right. The easiest way to persuade you to stop at the "Top of the Hill Grill is this...in the week leading up to our saturday event...I stopped at the TOHG twice for lunch because I knew I might not get my fill on wedding day. It's that good. Thanks Jon.
jamf

1 Thank jam f
chicago
“Very good food, great setting”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stopped here on our way from Maine to Illinois based on Trip Advisor recommendations and it did not disappoint. As reported there was a long line but the food came out pretty quickly. The setting is really unique and fits the restaurant name. Very casual and pleasant. We both had excellent sandwiches with sides and carrot cake. Definitely worth the wait.

New york
“Nice spot for a quick meal”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were driving from CT to Southern Vermont and we were looking for a spot for a quick dinner. We found this restaurant on tripadvisor. It was just off Exit 3 of I-91 in VT.

The price was reasonable and the menu is extensive. We had the pulled pork platter and jambalaya. The food was nothing fancy but tasty.

They have both outdoor and indoor seating. Insect repellents may be needed if one sit outdoor during summer time.

A lot of locals come here to order take out which is a good sign!

1 Thank DavidNYC11