“Beyond my expectations and more than beautiful”

Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Brattleboro B&B and Inns
South Florida, Florida
“Beyond my expectations and more than beautiful”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

A few friends and I spent three nights at Forty Putney Road B & B this past weekend for my birthday. We stayed in the Carriage house, in the Maple, and Hummingbird room. Honestly, it could have not been any more perfect. The house is spectacular, Rhonda is a fantastic host (Oh-my-God her breakfast is to die for!), and the location is perfect. It was almost like a fairytale made reality. The only bad thing about this whole experience was the fact that we couldn't stay longer. I will definitely be visiting this B & B as often as I possibly can! The innkeeper, Rhonda, was such great company to have around, but not invasive. She really strives to make sure each individual has a flawless experience at her B&B, and assures that you are comfortable and happy. Her breakfast was fabulous, and probably the best i've ever had. The house was always clean, well maintained, and included Wi-Fi. There is truly nothing bad that I could say about Forty Putney Road B&B, it went way above and beyond my expectations, and I don't think I have ever had a vacation as impeccable as this one. I can not wait to return!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Arlington, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed in the Maple Room, which is in the Carriage House. The room was decorated in soothing neutrals, had an uber-comfy bed, a gas fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. I wish we could have stayed a bit longer to use the hot tub. Breakfast was delicious and Rhonda, the owner, has a great sense of humor and really strives to make your stay pleasant.

Room Tip: The Maple Room is in a separate building and nice if you want privacy.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Definitely - - - my pleasure!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I visited the Fort Putney Road Bed and Breakfast in February with my friend who was celebrating her 50th birthday. We were delighted with the rooms and breakfast. However, on the first night the first night we noticed that our radiators were off. I called the Inn from our restaurant and asked that the heat be turned on. It was and we slept restfully. I was surprised that the radiator was cold on the second night. I called the innkeeper and the heat was on by the time we got back from dinner. My friend slept in a room with a fireplace. That night, she turned it off before going to sleep. She awoke at 3:30 in the morning; her room was 93 degrees and the wall unit for the fireplace was bleeping. Later in the morning, the innkeeper apologized. When I saw my friend at breakfast she looked unrested. I found out that she had been up since 3:30 due to the heat and beeping that continued unabated until breakfast. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. It was her birthday weekend and she was exhausted. At checkout, I asked the innkeeper to take the second night off of my friend's bill. I felt that was appropriate. The innkeeper's reaction was one of indignation. She said that she would absolutely not consider taking off $169.00 from our bill because it was warm in my friend's room and angrily stated that my friend could have taken the remote that was beeping out of the room. We corrected her and said that it was the wall unit not the remote that was beeping. She crossly asked my friend about the intricacies of the bleeping wall unit: Which part was it? So it's not the remote? I have to know what to tell my guy when he comes over and looks at it. Had she said, You know, I am so sorry. You must be tired. I can't take the whole amount off of the bill but I would like to do something for you, I would have been very happy. Instead, she said, "First it was cold in your room, then it was hot." as if we had engineered the heating system to fail. She grudgingly conceded to taking $50.00 off of my friend's bill. A nicer attitude would have meant a great deal to me. Instead, I left Vermont with a bad taste in my mouth. I will never visit this B&B again

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Melissa S
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
At Forty Putney Road, we always strive to definitely exceed the needs of each and every one of our guests, and it’s disappointing when we have not been able to give our guests an overall excellent experience.

I am sorry that the fireplace remote malfunctioned in the early morning hours. After maintenance, it was discovered that the batteries required replacement. I am always on property and my phone number is prominently displayed in all rooms. I wish your friend had called me, and I would have been down in a jiffy to alleviate the issue. But, looking back at a situation isn't helpful at this time.

As our individual recollections of the check-out exchange differ, I still feel that a $50 (30%) discount on the room was fair rather than your strong suggestion for a full night refund especially since I had discussed, apologized, and believed the situation was resolved with the actual inconvenienced guest prior to your involvement. Again, I truly apologize for any discomfort your friend encountered and that you departed disappointed.

We want everyone who stays with us to feel like we’re taking good care of them and that they have a special, memorable time. If you ever consider a return visit with us, you can be assured that we will do our utmost to make your time here the best.
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Comfy and cozy with gracious hosts. From the moment we walked in the door our needs were met. The room was lovely with fine quality linens and toiletries. One of the nicest b&b's i have experienced. I highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2014
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My girlfriend and I recently planned and stayed a long weekend getaway to Forty Putney Road Inn in Brattleboro VT and, in short, it was amazing. Let's start with the property: Beautiful 6 room Inn nestled in the trees about a 3 minute drive (or 10 minute walk which we did a couple times) to downtown Brattleboro. The property sits on about an acre and a half of wooded land and the back of the property looks out on a nice sized lake/pond. The Inn is very well maintained and very well appointed. You just feel comfortable being there. We stayed in one of the two rooms (Hummingbird Room) that are detached from the Main House and it was really comfortable, romantic and cozy. Clean, and very well decorated. The Main House is inviting with an awesome little Pub Room, beautiful Living Room with fireplace, pool table, and self playing piano. Coffe/tea and snacks are available all day. It just felt like we belonged there. A tiny downside is parking is a bit tight especially when all the rooms are full. Not a big deal though. Rhonda, the proprietor, is lively, courteous, and genuinely happy that you are staying with her. She was tremendously helpful and accommodating without being overbearing. We shared stories over a beer in the Pub when we arrived and she is genuinely interested in her guests and their backgrounds. Kristen is her helper in the morning during breakfast and she is also very cheerful and accommodating. Speaking of breakfast...WOW! Gourmet probably doesn't do it justice and the fact that Rhonda plans and prepares it herself every day is amazing. She has some serious talent in the kitchen. Two courses everyday with each day being better than the next. I ordered one of the welcoming packages (6 local beers, local cheeses, crackers, sausage, a complimentary VT shaped cutting board and a complimentary glass pint) and it was waiting for us in the room ready to go upon arrival. So delicious! We took advantage of the awesome hot tub which is in a separate building 50 feet from the Main House. It had a gas fireplace in it and the tub itself was high end and VERY relaxing not to mention romantic. We got about 4-5 inches of fresh snow the second day we stayed and it just made the whole ambiance that much more wonderful. Although we were out and about everyday and didn't spend a tremendous amount of time in the room, it was heavenly to come back to the warmth and comfort of Forty Putney Road Inn. We were very sad to leave but will ABSOLUTELY be back again. I would highly recommend this Inn to everyone I know. Worth every single penny! Thanks again for an amazing weekend Rhonda, Kristen, and crew!!

Room Tip: Rooms detached from Main House offer more privacy and a greater feeling of freedom on the property...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am almost reluctant to write a review for this wonderful B&B since if too many people learn about it we'll probably never get in again! We stayed for 7 nights over Xmas and it couldn't have been more perfect. Rhonda takes breakfasts to a whole new level. Of her 2 course breakfasts served over our 7 day stay she never once repeated a dish. Amazing! It got so we couldn't wait to get down to breakfast in the morning to see what delicious creation she had come up with. And how we are missing her own blend coffee in the mornings. But the whole ambiance of Forty Putney Road could not be bettered. The rooms are comfortable and warm and Rhonda and her helpers are all charming. If we go back to Brattleboro I know where we'll be staying. If you are thinking of going to Bratleboro please ignore this review and stay somewhere else so there will be room for us at Rhonda's

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
You totally made me laugh out loud!! My pleasure......
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Rhonda was an excellent hostess and we only wish we could've stayed longer! We stayed at Forty Putney on the first night of our Vermont honeymoon, but arrived fairly late since our flights had been canceled and we ended up driving up the East Coast to get there! Rhonda was very accommodating to our changing itinerary and still had our room ready for us upon on arrival. We got the beer package, which was especially a delight after a long day of driving! We stayed in the beautiful Sun & Moon room and enjoyed relaxing in the tub. Breakfast the next morning was creative and delicious and sadly we had to scoot off to our next destination from there. We plan to visit Brattleboro again in the future and will hopefully get to spend more time at this lovely inn.

Room Tip: The Sun & Moon Room is calming and tranquil, with a beautiful view out the front window!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
I'll be looking for you on an anniversary!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Latchis Hotel
Chesterfield Inn
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Been to Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!