“Home away from home”

Dreamhouse Country Inn B&B
Ranked #3 of 7 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2010

We selected Vermont because we wanted to get away from busy NYC, enjoy the change of foliage and being pampered with gourmet breakfast.

Sue Small made us feel right at home. She greeted us upon arrival, made herself available and showed us great hospitality. She also kept her home very clean, which was big with me.

Breakfast was delicious! Items were locally grown/produced and each morning was different. The room we selected -- The Trillium Room -- was beautiful and we could set the thermostat to whatever made us comfortable. The bed was very comfy and had lots of fluffly pillows. We slept like babies on our trip. The bathroom being across the hall didn't bother us and the water pressure/jacuzzi tub more than made up for it. There was even a heater in the bathroom for those VT winters. There are rooms with bathrooms in them as options, too.

I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina_NYC77

Reviewed 27 August 2010

I don't know where to start but the Dreamhouse will always have a special part of me. I'll cut to the chase- right before my stay here, my boyfriend proposed to me at the top of of Camel's Hump. Obviously, wanting to keep up the romance going all weekend, he surprised me with a B&B - which is definitely out of the norm for us. As serendipitious as it gets, we were 'stuck' with the Bridal Veil suite (it was the only room available as it is wedding season up there) but I couldn't have been happier. The colors, the feel, the entire property really fit my fiance and I as a couple since they had a huge property with garden to wander, a great patio, organic fruit grown themselves, that the owners, George and Susan used for breakfast. Susan and George were more than welcoming and even helped my fiance out with setting the mood, since romance isn't exactly a specialty of ours. They suggested a great local french restaurant, helped us out with our favorite sparkling wine and even baked me a mini wedding cake (DELICIOUS!) as a surprise. I can't recommend this place enough. (bonus- breakfast and cake were amazing!)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My wife Kristen and I were looking for a place to stay while attending a wedding in Vermont. Instead of going for a lame boring hotel, we decided on a B&B. Well, we found what HAS to be the BEST B&B in the area. Sue and George are some of the nicest people ever. The Dreamhouse Country Inn is exactly what it sounds like.

1. It's a Dreamhouse - A large 1800's home renovated so that the front of the home is for guests. Not only do you get to stay in a room upstairs, but you also have the run of three rooms downstairs and of course all the grounds (which are gorgeous). They have an apple orchard and blueberry patch on their property (the blueberries were in season and my wife was loving them). They have something like ten acres so you can troll around everywhere. BEAUTIFUL place. The pictures don't lie.

2. It's in the Country - The surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous. The small town of Bristol is quaint and has some good food. And the roads are easy enough to navigate so you can get anywhere. The Dreamhouse Country Inn almost feels like a getaway right out of Candy Land. I'm sure this place is gorgeous in the winter too!

3. It's an INN - Ok, so most of my knowledge about an Inn is from the Bible, but George and Sue were SO much fun to talk to. Sue is an amazing cook. She made breakfast for us every morning and we did not leave feeling unsatisfied. Her meals consisted of local produce too (a staple of many of the Vermont establishments). Not to heavy. Not too light. Perfect. Coffee was great too!

When we left, my wife and I felt like we had stayed with good friends for four days. They are extremely genuine people!

We loved it there and I personally would love to go back sometime!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

A beautiful, historic setting, moderinzed for "all the comforts".
The meals of natural, organic foods can not be beat.
Our room was meticulous, quiet, with beautiful views out of every window.

The Bristol area has so many things to see and learn. Whether to enjoy nature, or have a taste of the local fare, very comfortable and totally relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2010

My husband and I haven't had a chance to get away for over 9 months---and are leading very, very busy lives. When we do get away, it means a lot to us to have the experience be quite special. Susan and George's Inn both met and exceeded our expectations from start to finish. The property is quiet with a gorgeous lawn, gardens and apple orchard. The building itself is dated around 1850, lovingly restored. Once inside, Susan's interior artistry (she is an artist and interior designer) make each space a feast for the senses---restorative, with an elegant simplicity, eclectic art collection, and total comfort---much the way I fantasize our own home could be one day. Susan is also a gourmet chef---using fresh local ingredients (including syrup from their own trees) for each fabulous breakfast. Details of our breakfasts included Susan's offer to experiment with gluten-free recipes on my behalf (this without asking---I had offered to bring some of my own bread for breakfast!), which resulted in the most fabulous pancakes (buckwheat-sweet potato!!) and muffins (a secret recipe, but she did send me home with extras) in the mornings. Homemade sausages, jam, Great coffee--you get the idea. Susan and George felt like old friends we were meeting for the first time---so much fun to chat with them during breakfast, and gave us great recommendations on local dining and hiking Our special package included ,breafasts, dinner at a local restaurant, and hand-picked strawberriesand whipped cream, chocolate and rose petals in the room one night. after dinner---all this for a terrific value. Wow.
I should definitely mention for those who haven't experienced Bristol that just a minute from the quiet neighborhood of the Inn you are on Main Street, where a local bistro (The Bobcat Cafe) blew us away with their amazing home brewed beer selection and cuisine. Other Inn-mates (one from England no less, and a beer connessieur) were equally impressed. Again, the care over food, the creativity of cuisine,freshness of ingredients, wonderful recipes and fabulous wooden bar made this a special part of our evening menu. There are other incredible choices for dining in the area as well---and we had another outstanding meal (with such innovative touches and perfectly cooked fish and chicken) at Mary's Restaurant at the Baldwin Inn. The chef here is extraordinary---beauty and balance and innovation combined.
I'm raving about our weekend. As a picky traveller who loves attention to detail and caring, thoughtful service, I would recommend the Dream House Inn for a romantic get away, as a perfect site for a wedding, or indeed for any reason. Susan and George tell us that in July, the raspberries are abundant, in August the blueberries, and in September they press their own apple cider.
Nearby hikes include Camel's Hump (4th highest peek in Vermont with 360 views) and many other day trips.
If you don't have a reason to visit Brisol, such as a visit to Middlebury College, the Dream House Country Inn is reason enough.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2010

My son and I were in Vermont to look at colleges and stayed with Sue and George to visit Middlebury. What a delightful respite from the road. The Inn and our hosts were equally charming -- Sue has decorated the Inn with an artist's eye for the whimsical, slightly eccentric, but Vermont-grounded furnishings and colors -- above all, comfy; the breakfasts were wonderful -- George's son raised the pigs from which the sausages and bacon came -- organically and nearby -- Sue made carrot pancakes with Vermont maple syrup our second morning -- out of this world -- no, really -- and there aren't two more hospitable and entertaining people anywhere. Ask about the house's former owner's alligators he kept in the fountain out front (long gone, I'm afraid). And don't miss the Bobcat restaurant five minutes away in Bristol town. The venison and chorizo meatloaf was unbelievable.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My husband and I have never been to a B&B and we really enjoyed our stay. The owners made us feel at home. Breakfast was great - mango granola rocked! Our room was beautiful and well decorated. We will be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple