“You will be happy you came”

Inn at Baldwin Creek
Inn at Baldwin Creek
Ranked #5 of 7 Bristol B&B and Inns
Burlington, Vermont
“You will be happy you came”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Linda and Doug (the proprietors) are simply the nicest, most helpful and cheeriest people you'd want to meet in life or, especially, owning an inn. My wife and I have stayed at the inn several times and if something's even a little wrong (which isn't often), they go overboard to fix it. It's just a wonderfully relaxing spot--an old rambling house next to a brook, with gardens out front where food is grown that Doug uses in the restaurant, a friendly dog and interesting grounds to enjoy. Evening wine or morning coffee on the stone patio is a great treat. Dinner in the restaurant is always an occasion; it's a wonderful series of rooms, one of which features a huge hearth. If you stay here, eat here. Don't even bother finding a restaurant somewhere else. Breakfast is wonderful as well, especially Sunday brunch. Prices are very reasonable for this part of the country.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We were in Vermont for college tours in Burlington. Bristol is a quick 25 minute drive and this B&B was worth every mile! We were lucky to get the large Treetop Suite. It's the furthest down the hall and quiet. We enjoyed the split level - cozy sitting room up and bedroom and bathroom down a few steps. Very clean, lovely furnishings, comfy queen bed with plump comforter, and a whirlpool bath! Great views from windows in 3 directions. The grounds invite you to explore and there are lots of plants and flowers. The movie and book library is stocked with good movies and we borrowed from both while we were there for 4 days. I've saved my best review for last. The breakfasts are what I would come back for again and again. Melt in your mouth scones and fresh fruit as starters, then fresh omelets or oatmeal if your not an egg fan. The pesto omelet was my favorite but I liked them all, yummy bacon and the coffee was to die for! Like I said, Enchanting!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 February 2011

When we travel, my wife and I prefer staying at B&Bs to hotels/motels to avail ourselves of local knowledge, a good night's sleep and occasionally, a great breakfast. At the Inn at Baldwin Creek you get all this and more. We arrived with snow falling and the lights of the Inn glowing. You are as likely to meet with Doug, the chef/owner, as you are with his gracious staff. After a quick checking in process we were shown to our room which was small, quaint, and most importantly, housed a very comfortable bed. This is an old farmhouse, so there are some groans and creaks and with the restaurant directly beneath us, if you intend on sleeping by 9 p.m. you'll contend with some ambient noise. But all-in-all, the room was in-the-Vermont-woods quiet once we settled in for the night.

You have to try the scones if you stay at this inn, and when no one is looking, stuff your pockets or purse with those remaining in the basket for a mid-morning treat. Fruit is fresh and ripe and delicious (and I enjoyed the lime-zest that added a nice texture and flavor to the fruit) and then I had the seafood omelet. Served warm, as it should be, it was stuffed with shrimp and crab, as I recall, and a velvety sauce. Add to that piping hot, fresh coffee and your juice of choice and you will not walk away wanting for anything.

But the real treat is dinner. The wait-staff was friendly and attentive without being cloying. We later made it a point to compliment our waitress for the service she provided and the answers to any and all questions about the dinner fare. I won't go into everything we had (and by dinner, our party had grown to a dozen), but suffice it to say you won't find a better meal in NYC, or Boston, or Chicago, or LA. Doug uses locally grown vegetables and meats, when possible, and that is demonstrated in the more subtle layers of taste in the food you'll enjoy. My wife enjoyed the trout - and so did I as I stole morsels from her plate when she was distracted by conversation. I hated passing over the Veal Shank and the Bison and the (Bistro) Lamb Sausage Ragout, that our fellow-dinners claimed were delicioso, and instead went for the garden salad and the mussels and pasta. They mussels were clean and tender and wholly complimented by the sauce - and it's really about the sauce, isn't it?

Finally, there was a chocolate buffet set out for a very reasonable price. I'll simply say I'm home now and on my way to the gym to work off the decadence. And no, this is not a paid advertisement. You will not be disappointed. And when you pass Doug moving tons of snow off the parking area with his mini-bulldozer, tell him to get back to the kitchen where he belongs.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 February 2011

After spending a long weekend at the inn I felt like one of the family. From my first contact to the moment I left, I felt well taken care of. The inn is an older home, just like grandma's house was, with that warm clean feeling, even though there was three foot of snow outside. The food is fantastic and is the creation of Doug the chef/owner. The menu is an excellent blend of the local fares with in season vegetables and tasty meats. The deserts were endless as were the little extras they were constantly placing on the table. My favorite dinner was the bison short ribs and my favorite breakfast was the sausage, roasted apples and red onion omelet and of naturally the scones!! The Inn at Baldwin Creek is by far the best value around the area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Rhode Island
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We enjoyed staying at this farmhouse made inn. Our room was attractive but had a handicap shower which we didn't enjoy. The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed watching the DVD's provided but was suprised there wasn't any cable. The breakfast was outstanding. Starting with fresh hot breads, scones etc. and fresh fruit. Then you ordered your breakfast. They made eggs the way I wanted with Vermont cheddar mixed in.. The dinning room is very attractive and wait staff attentive. We're looking forward to staying again in a different room.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marylandrhodeisland
Gardiner, Maine
Reviewed 14 January 2010

How do you combine just the right ingredients to create a perfect BandB getaway? Start with a fresh snowfall, light, dry and fluffy. Add a woodfire at nightfall and guest rooms with character and the charm of an old-world, family centered life. Mix with humor, genuine smiles and a large pinch of strong social conscience (a neighborly Christmas dinner for all deserving local folks....). The Inn at Baldwin Creek is a feast of generous proportions - and the food....oh, the food! Dishes are prepared to perfection with delightful surprises at every mouthful. Service is terrific, the wait staff efficient even as they love to chat! Add a great night's sleep to the menu and you have an inn you'll return to again and again. Compliments to the chef and the family that has so loved this inn and the life they share with guests!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RiverGuy2
Boston
Reviewed 2 April 2009

By the low key happy look of the people staying or dining at this ***** restaurant and B&B, this is truly worth a try. For dinner or a night or two, this is close to Middlebury, to Lake Champlain, to trhee nearby ski resorts and the service is best and freindliest I've experienced in some time. I travel quite a bit in New England and for business or pleasure, this is a find. Rooms are great. Food is likely some of the best in teh state and most of it made from local growers and farmers. Get a reservation and go!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Courtyard Middlebury
#2 of 7 in Bristol
Weathertop Mountain Inn
Weathertop Mountain Inn
#9 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to Inn at Baldwin Creek? Share your experiences!