“"Soap on Backorder!"”

DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Never in all my years of travel in the US or abroad have I ever checked into a property that was completely out of hand soap. I'm confident Starwood/Sheraton has as sophisticted a supply chain system as anyone, so this was pretty shocking. Initially I figured the previous guest must've taken the bar soap after the room was cleaned. Called guest services and was told nope, "we have no soap; it's on backorder; you can use the liquid shower gel in your room instead." When I inquired why they hadn't just bought soap for the hotel guests, I was informed the soap had to be "branded" Sheraton. If the general manager of a property doesn't have the leeway in his/her role to purchase soap, this tells me something about Starwood's values. Better no soap than unbranded soap??? Baffling!
On the plus side, the king room was generously sized and very comfortable, I appreciated the free wifi, and the shower was just fine (with a bar of soap supplied privately:-).

Room Tip: Major construction going on in front of hotel, but they advised of this when I booked and my room wa...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
owen23, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Traveler5223,

Thank you for taking time to send me feedback from your recent stay here at the Sheraton Burlington. I was embarrassed to read your comments about your experience at the Hotel. I will make no excuses and take full responsibility. Please contact me directly so that I can ensure that you have been taken care of. Again I am truly sorry. I look forward to connecting with you.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Arrived and check in was ok. Not very empathetic with the fact I mentioned I may have to stay an extra night or two due to car trouble. Room was in the basement. Very small. Bathroom can barely turn around in. Grout in tiles dirty looking. No Soap. My wife informed them at the front desk and while we were out they placed in our room. BUT the door was not closed properly!! Dined in restaurant? or Lounge? Not sure what they are trying to accomplish there. Sports memorabilia all over an old wood room?? Does not suit it! We ordered soft drinks which the waitress dumped the entire glass on my wife! Apologetic, but did nothing for the inconvenience. Food was mediocre! Definitely not up to a Sheraton Standards. AC unit was kind of noisy all night. Kids did enjoy the pool. Breakfast the next morning was blah....I have stayed in many Starwood properties and this is by far the worst! Standards at breakfast was horrible. The buffet of cold deep fried potatoes, scrambled eggs that the cook was too lazy to break up....almost solid in the pan! Fruit salad that was empty. Dirty bowls. Frozen waffles that was empty. Not one person out of the 3 working even asked how everything was! After breakfast we proceeded to check out. No garbage cans outside the doors so people were just piling beside the cigarette container. I usually just leave and let the front desk charge my card but this time I went to the desk to check out.....not even "how was your stay?" anything....very cold! No questions? I would have just told the desk my comments and left it alone but since no one asked I figured they don't care to have a bad review on trip ad visor. $1.50 phone charge for local calls. Some standards need to be followed here! Starwood sets standards for a reason and I did not witness much of them in any areas of this property!

1  Thank ChefMike2U
owen23, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear ChefMike2u,

Thank you for sending me your feedback on your recent stay here at the Sheraton Burlington. I am sorry that your stay and experience has fallen well short of your expectation as well mine. I would like to make things up to you. Please contact me so that I may start to rebuild our relationship with you.
Thank you.

All the Best

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Recently spent a night here after flying into Burlington Airport--with first pleasant surprise the speed at which the transport van brought me from the airport to the hotel. The staff were helpful, and pleasant. The hotel was clean and quiet, and the pull-out couch bed surprisingly comfortable. Even the room service meal was better than average! Breakfast the next morning in the hotel dining room was a nice experience--quiet enough to visit with friends. Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Again another great stay. Thus hotel never disappoints. We walked in and were promptly greeted by an extremely friendly front desk assistant. Our room was spacious, recently renovated and spotless. Our stay was completed by a shuttle ride to the airport. Our driver was really friendly and upbeat. Thank you to all of the staff for another outstanding stay.

1  Thank CESMPT
owen23, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear CESMPT,

Thank you for sending me feedback from your recent experience here at the Sheraton Burlington. I was glad to read that you had another great stay with us. Thanks for staying with us. We truly appreciate your business. Please let me know when you will be back, so that I can do something nice for you.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

When I arrived at the hotel I was told I didn't have a reservation at the hotel. I asked the desk clerk if there was anything he could do for me since I had been traveling all day long. He told me they were sold out and he couldn't help me. The manager was standing in the lobby and saw that I had become upset and came over to offer his assistance. He was very helpful and told me he would see what he could do for me. I waited for a few minutes and he then reappeared behind the front desk and asked me for my ID and credit card. He was able to move something’s around and got me in. I saw the manager a few different times during my stay. He took time to check in with me regarding my stay and always acknowledged me by name he really made me feel welcome. I travel a great deal of the time and I will always be staying at the Sheraton hotel because of the service I received from Josh at the Sheraton in Burlington. I highly recommend staying there to any business traveler who wants that VIP treatment. He even gave me his card and told me to reach out to him directly before my next trip. This is customer service excellence.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room you wont be dissappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear s0muchtravel,

Thank you for sending me feedback from your recent experience here at the Sheraton Burlington. I was glad to read that you had a great stay. Thanks for staying with us. We truly appreciate your business.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for one night. The staff were friendly when we checked in and very helpful during our stay. We had a room with 2 Queens and they provided a crib for our daughter. The room was clean and comfortable. We decided not to pay for wifi in our room but there was free wifi in the lobby area with a comfortable seating area. We were flying from Burlington and they allowed us to leave our car at no extra cost and they provided a free shuttle to and from the airport. They also kept our bags until our later flight so we could go out visiting for the day. We were very happy with our stay as we got a great website deal and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Kat44,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay here at the Sheraton Burlington. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. If there is anything that we can do for you in the future please let me know. Again thanks for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is one of the nicer Sheratons I've stayed at. From beginning to end the service was great. They offer a free shuttle to some of the local attractions. We were waiting for a shuttle for about 20 minutes. When one came, the desk manager at the check-in area came out and offered to take us where we needed to go. The accomadations were very nice and comfortable. My only complaint is there are no handles on the dresser drawers so it's hard to open them. The noise level was quiet and the hotel is well maintained. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear janhad,

Thank you for taking time to give us your Great Feedback on your recent stay here at the Sheraton Burlington. I am very proud of the team here; they truly know how to deliver great customer service. Thanks for staying with us and look forward to seeing you back soon.
Bill.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont? Share your experiences!