“Slow service, good food.”
Review of Bluebird Tavern - CLOSED

Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bank St, Burlington, VT
Transit: Located in the heart of downtown Burlington Bluebird Tavern can be accessed by CCTA bus services.
Description: At Bluebird Tavern our inventive New England Style cuisine is centered on farm fresh Vermont ingredients in a casual but elegant setting. Founded in 2009, Bluebird Tavern has been recognized by Bon Appetit Magazine, Food & Wine Magazine, and by the James Beard Foundation. Located in the heart of downtown Burlington, one block off of the Church St Marketplace, Bluebird Tavern offers a large bar area, open kitchen, chef's table, and an intimate dining room. Our cuisine is centered New England classics with a French and Italian influence. Fresh seafood straight from the docks in Boston, hand made pastas, and traditional tavern offerings such as our double burger are anchors of the Bluebird Tavern menu.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My first time eating here and probably my last. The food was good, but not great for the price; but by far my biggest issue was the ridiculously long wait times and poor service once seated. Two off the tasty chicken sausage appetizers came out wrong and took forever to be replaced. Needless to say my husband had his appetizer and then sat for an hour while the others waited for their correct appetizers. It took two hours for the 3 people in my party to be served three courses. There are many better places to eat in Burlington where terrible service doesn't spoil a night out.

1  Thank 6Vermonters
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear 6Vermonters,

I am very sorry to hear your food took so long. It certainly isn't how we want our guests to dine. I would very much like to hear more about your experience and to talk with you to find out how we can make it up to you. I can be reached directly at jim@bluebirdvermont.com or (802)825-1915.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

As a fairly new resident of Burlington, I was excited to make the most of Restaurant Week and try some new places. A group of my friends from work and I were having a tough time deciding between L'Amante and Bluebird, and Bluebird finally won out because several of us hadn't been there. We were a party of 7 who made reservations for right after work at 5:30. When we arrived, we were shown right to our table and from the start I did love the decor and the atmosphere. I was surprised that we were the only people in the restaurant, but I figured it was early so that was probably why. 4 of the 7 of us ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, and the other 3 ordered off the regular menu. I'm basically going to sum it up with this: We got there at 5:30 and didn't leave until 9:00, because every course took about an hour. I really did not understand it at all, especially when 4 of us were ordering off a set menu. You would think the chef and the people in the kitchen would be able to turn food around quicker than that. True to what I had heard about this place, the portions were shockingly small compared to the price, which was shockingly expensive. I didn't even mind the small portions, but it didn't seem like anything was what we expected, and I think they need better descriptions on the menu as well as servers who are willing to explain the dishes. The food was ok... not wonderful, but ok... but the dessert was so far off from the description that I couldn't even eat it. The consistency of the panna cotta was terrible.

Bottom line: bad service, horrible wait times, and definitely not worth the price tag. There are so many better places in Burlington. This place is way overrated.

1  Thank Alanna S
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Good evening Alana S,

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip to our restaurant. We clearly did not live up to your expectations or our own. I would truly appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your experience and if you have the time I can be reached directly at jim@bluebirdvermont.com or (802)825-1915.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The menu sounded amazing and we were all looking forward to our dinner. The cocktails were imaginative and enjoyable. The oysters were perfect. After that, everything fell apart: our appetizers were bland, the mains simply ok. We didn't even bother with dessert.

1  Thank Lorne_Alexandra
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Good evening Lorne Alexandra,

Thank you for your review. I am very sad to read that you were underwhelmed. We never want our guests to leave feeling less than happy. I would really like to learn more about your experience as that is how we improve. If you have time please contact me directly either via phone (802)825-1915 or via email, jim@bluebirdvermont.com. I would truly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've heard about the Bluebird Tavern for a while but had never tried it. We had a reservation and were seated immediately; I heard others without reservations that the wait (on Saturday night) was about 45 minutes. The drinks list was pretty thorough, though there wasn't a lot in the way of white wine that wasn't chardonnay and I'm not a chardonnay fan. I tried a French chenin blanc that was quite good and my husband had the Hill Farmstead Edward, which he always enjoys. Our waitress said the only change on the menu was that the pork schnitzel was being made with venison. We tried it and it was AMAZING. Not sure what the pork one would have been like but we both enthusiastically urge the chef to keep making it with venison! I've never particularly enjoyed venison in the past but this was really outstanding. It was accompanied by some fairly bland spaetzle but the venison stole the show.

For our entrees I ordered the artichoke tasting. It was supposed to come with four different styles but I only remember three. The risotto was pretty forgettable and the braised artichokes were, too, but the stuffed artichoke made up for the others - the flavors melded together into a mouthwatering combination that I couldn't get enough of - I had to cut it into small bites so I could savor it! My husband had the tavern double burger, which he enjoyed so much he didn't use the housemade ketchup or aioli. His was served with very flavorful poutine. We were given fresh foccacia, which was delicious on its own but even better when I dipped it in the neglected aioli - wow! And we were also provided with a special tasting from the kitchen, which was a fun treat of carrot ginger on some kind of a crisp.

For dessert we shared the maple tap, which was an excellent maple custard. My only criticisms were that the oatmeal crust was too difficult to cut with the spoon provided (a fork would better, and oatmeal crumbles better still) and that the tartness of the rhubarb overwhelmed the sweetness of the maple. Once I scraped off the rhubarb glaze, I was much happier.

Overall a great experience - inventive menu choices and an appealing atmosphere, if somewhat spare in decor in the bigger dining room where we sat. I would definitely recommend the Bluebird!

Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hi Lawgirlvt,

Thank you for your review. The detail of your review was great and I am glad you talked about both the highlights and areas we can improve. Feedback from guests is something we truly appreciate and helps us grow. I am glad you liked the venison schnitzel, it has been a very popular special that will be short lived. If you ever have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I can be reached via email, jim@bluebirdvermont.com or phone, (802) 825-1915.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My usual go-to restaurant in Burlington was closed for renovations so my mom and I tried Bluebird Tavern. We were immediately welcomed and brought to our table. The wait staff was friendly and energetic. While we were waiting for our food the chef gave each table hand made cider donut holes-- they were delicious! I got the baked eggs with sausage, kale and fontina. My mom got the ruben. Both were great. Bluebird tavern will now be a restaurant I regularly attend!

Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hi Jgiancola,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm glad that you tried us out for brunch and that you enjoyed your meal. We try to make sure our guests have a great experience both with service and food. I am glad you liked the doughnut holes they are a staff favorite as well. If you ever have any questions or suggestions for us please feel free to contact me directly my email is jim@bluebirdvermont.com