“Great bakery, but is it a "third place"??”
Review of August First

August First
Ranked #12 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Price range: US$5 - US$14
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: August First is locally owned and has been serving great pastries, coffee, breakfast and lunch since 2009. A true local favorite, located in a bright and open renovated industrial garage. A very Vermont experience with fresh and delicious food served by a friendly staff. Everything is made from scratch!
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I like some things here, am not too keen about some things, and have a question about something.
The coffee is very good and the baked goods that make the reputation are top-rate. Check out the sandwiches, but especially the rhubarb galette. The ice tea is also good. I think a place that makes its own ice tea, rather than rely on a pop company, now defines the minimum standard for a restaurant that understands it is supposed to make and sell food, not just dispense goods from a food distributor, so this place makes the grade.
The salads reminded me of my 1970s days when alternative food was just getting going and we ate tasteless salads because they were good for us. That's a bad legacy of thinking and food preparation we need to work hard to overcome, and that's not happening here.
In my e-book on Food and City Building, I argue that places like his have a function, which planners refer to as a "third place" -- sort of like a neighborhood Cheers where people come to meet friends, not just eat on their own.
As a visitor, I didn't feel like I was a guest in a neighborhood, but a customer at a business. I think they should relax the "laptop free zone" rule, and let some of the students in cramped rooms and lonely writers hang out along the edges, so we get a core number of regulars who come here partly for the company -- ie companionship, not the business.

1  Thank wayne300944

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I found this place on our first trip to Burlington two years ago. Now, it's a must for breakfast when we're in town. A great selection of coffees, pastries, and breakfast sandwiches. We've never been disappointed.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I love to share a pastry on occasion. We stumbled on this off the main street bakery and sandwich shop one morning. We have enjoyed their bakery items and the breads. A definite keeper on my list. Looking forward to a sandwich there in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

When I first walked into August First it reminded me of the smell of my boarding school which is a good thing, it was in a remodeled farm house and they baked fresh bread everyday - its the wood and the bread together (High Mowing peeps should smell and check it out). I love the bread, and sandwiches my favorite is the turkey with a cup of soup which is always good. My favorite thing about August first is the bread bike the rides around the neighborhood, "Bread for sale" yelling that, I fly out of my house yelling hey bread guy. I live pretty far out of town they don't always make it that far so its a good day when they do.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Maybe one of the best lattes I've ever tasted. Had breakfast here - an egg scramble with veggies on a delicious multi-grain roll. And excellent prices. Their bakery product looked/smelled delicious.