One of a Kind Bed and Breakfast
Hotel Vermont(Burlington)
US$232
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont(Burlington)(Great Value!)
US$187
Courtyard
US$102
US$148
Homewood
All reviewscarpe diemgranolab blake champlainbike pathan easy walkmini fridgewaterfront parkchurch streetcottagemaggieprivacysuitebackyardadirondacksdowntownstove
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2013

From one B&B owner to another: I loved it here! Maggie is sweet, authentic and very conscious of the needs of her guests. If you have an issue; tell her and she will resolve it!!!
We stayed in the cottage; Carpe Diem. I chose it for that is the license plate on my car! I couldn't resist and I was not disappointed. The view in the backyard is breathtaking, the goodies she left were more than we could eat. We loved the coziness of the cottage and studied how she pulled it off. I am a big fan of women who figure out how to make a life off the beaten path. Maggie is an artist and an entrepreneur. We all should take a lesson.... If I am ever back in Burlington, I will stay here again: not only for the experience but to say hello to Maggie also!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CatherinePerry
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a long fall weekend in Burlington and we were absolutely thrilled with this cabin and the service. It's a clean and cozy little space with a great view of Lake Champlain. The owner/operator is a really kind and helpful woman who gave us some great suggestions for local restaurants and bike rental options. Can't recommend this place enough.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brocktoons
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It's hard to rate One of a Kind, because it depends on what one values most. If the most important thing is charm and a lovely view, I can't imagine how you could find something that would surpass One of a Kind. If you are not forgiving about things like noise, roominess, and mosquitoes, well then, you may leave grumpy.

We stayed in the cottage, although we did tour all of the rooms. The rooms in the house proper are not particularly noteworthy and, like many BnB's, not terribly private.

The cottage could not be cuter, and the yard and gardens are beautiful. The photos do not lie.
The neighborhood is a 15 minute walk from downtown, and rather charmless. It also features a firehouse across the street, which woke us up more than once. That was the same night that the foghorn on a ship on the Lake woke us, too.

The cottage is so tiny there is no place for your luggage. There is a gateleg "table" to eat breakfast at, but when you open it up it falls apart. The bed is small and not great. Mosquitoes were a problem.

All in all, though, it is such a sweet little place with such sweeping views, I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 6ContinentsNCounting
maggiehoney, Owner at One of a Kind Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Glad to hear you'd happily stay again. Thanks for writing.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I really can't say enough great things about Maggie and One of a Kind Bed and Breakfast! We stayed for 3 nights in The Suite. There was plenty of room and lots of privacy (even though we were in the house). We were within a 15 minute walk (lovely walk) of all the restaurants and shopping. Maggie made sure we had everything we needed and had a lovely supply of breakfast (meeting our vegan lifestyle), much that was local, ready for us to enjoy in our room. There were tons of menus and ideas for things to do right in the suite. The gardens were so lovely and had an awesome view of Lake Champlain (what a great way to wake up)! Be sure to take in the sunset in the garden -- you won't regret it! As a Florida girl I have to mention, there is no AC, but even with it in the 80s during the day with the windows open and fans going I slept fine.

Room Tip: The Suite was lovely for the 2 of us -- there was the bedroom, sitting room and bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AshleyP001
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights in Carpe Diem in July 2013 when in town from Los Angeles for a family reunion (and early 10th Wedding Anniversary celebration) and had an amazing experience! The view of the lake and garden setting are spectacular and very relaxing. Visits by Miss Marple (Maggie's cat) and a few other neighborhood cats made the yard even more enjoyable. The cottage was clean, comfy, and stocked with delicious Vermont food products (and coffee that Maggie roasted) in the perfectly sized and well organized little kitchen. (We had to visit Nutty Steph's shop in Middlesex to stock up after trying the delicious granola and chocolate.) We were also very happy to find that composting and recycling are practiced at One Of A Kind.

The weather was perfect and we enjoyed the lake breezes that kept us cool on warm days. The neighborhood is very quiet and so close to downtown. We walked to the downtown farmers market on Saturday and enjoyed bird watching on the way back while walking up the path that connects to the waterfront bike path/boardwalk area. Although I grew up in Vermont and have spent lots of time in Burlington, I never knew that this wonderful Old North End area with incredible lake views existed.

Maggie was a wonderful hostess and made the stay very enjoyable. Our only regret was that we didn't have more time to spend enjoying the garden and lake view. We were sad to leave and can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple