“Nice atmosphere. Rooftop seating.”
Review of Das Bierhaus - CLOSED

Das Bierhaus
Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: At Das Bierhaus you will find authentic German, Austrian and Swiss family recipes made with local, organic ingredients and served alongside the world's best beers! Prost! A note on our food:We have searched far and wide to bring you these traditionally inspired meals. Our dishes are homemade, using locally-sourced and produced ingredients wherever possible. They are based on authentic German, Austrian and Swiss family recipes and served with a twist of Vermont.We are dedicated to continuing old-world culinary traditions. As such, we support local farms and operate with no microwave and very limited freezer space — everything is fresh. Nothing is pre-packaged. Our food is prepared from scratch, and cooked with love.Das Bierhaus is a Chef-Owned Establishment. A note on our beer: We dedicate 100% of our draft lines to German biers. Our selection varies based on availability and seasonal variety. We constantly source new, limited, and/or up-and-coming biers from home and abroad, so there should always be something new to taste. Finally, we regularly pursue new German acquisitions and navigate the state’s regulatory system to bring them to you on tap.
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I like the casual atmosphere here & it's really nice to sit on the rooftop. (I could wish they did not allow smoking on the rooftop, as I had to leave last time due to a nearby cigar smoker, although I understand they have limited choices of places to smoke. I was too sick to eat).
I'm not big on German cuisine, but my husband loves it. He also enjoys the German beer selection. I usually just get dessert--which is fabulous---the apple fritters served with vanilla ice cream & dusted with cinnamon & powdered sugar. It's very pricey (a $9 dessert!) but SO worth it. It's like a huge donut hole (you get 3... we usually share it) & it's made fresh/served hot from the fryer. SO good!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our first visit, graduation weekend, reservations for 8. Tasty German food, nice selection hard to find elsewhere.
But a bit pricy, very basic presentation. Very noisy, not great service. Could be fun with friends just looking for a casual place for a bite to eat and a beer.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently had dinner at Das Bierhaus while working for one of the companies in Burlington, VT. Brings back the former days when I spend a few months in Munich for another client. Nice change from the usual Pub & Grub places that seem to be the norm here. Great selection of dark beers and when sitting at the bar, they are very willing to let you sample what on tap as well. I had the soft pretzel which I thought was good and for dinner the SCHNITZEL VOM SCHWEIN which is just a pork cutlet pounded very thin. My meal was very tasty and certainly fine quality. The one comment I have as some other folks have stated, they need to really lighten up on the salt which I did mention to my server. Next time I go there, I will definitely request to lessen the salt when preparing my meal.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This looks like a bierhaus, with servers in dirndls and emphasis on echt Deutsches Bier. If you want the atmosphere and the beer, you won't be disappointed. The service is also very good. But the food is fairly bad and over priced. Perhaps it was our misfortune to go during Burlington's food festival, as it appears it is a license to charge more for things that are on the regular menu for less. But despite price, the food itself was awful. Asparagus that looked and tasted burned. Two of us had sandwiches with bread so hard as to make us fear for our teeth. Was it four day old bread? Both sandwiches had good meat, though smaller servings than we would expect for amount paid. Something is wrong in the kitchen here. I hope they can correct it, because I would really like to have a good German restaurant in Burlington.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We greatly anticipated returning here & were so terribly disappointed, that we could only speculate that perhaps management philosophy, ownership, & the chef had all been changed. We arrived on time to find that our 6:00 p.m. promised reservation in the 2nd floor, corner window seats had just been given away to another group. The hostess then seated us downstairs & made a nice recovery by giving us each a complementary glass of white wine which we liked & reordered. The bottle although cool to the touch contained wine which was warm bordering on hot. Thus we changed to a red wine which was excellent. Our 'Little Bits' appetizer Dumpling had a 1/4" burnt crust with a tasteless bread-like stuffing inside served with what they termed a curry sauce (not so). It was merely a tomato paste sauce spiced with hot chilly peppers tasted rough. Our main meals were extremely thin Weiner Schnitzel,mostly breading cooked 'to death', & tasting like dried shoe leather. We requested additional lemon to attempt to add a degree of moisture to it & the lemon arrived sliced almost as thin as paper (i.e. no way to squeeze it). This was accompanied by a tasteless lump of Spaetzl in a block several inches length, width, & height that I could stab with a fork & lift off the plate as a unit. It had to be cut with a knife to even taste it. My wife had the red cabbage, which was bland. We both gave up after eating less than 1/2. We told the sympathetic waitress Alexandra who removed the appetiser from our bill. Service was attentive & solicitous throughout. We enjoyed the wines, & noted that they had a very large selection of beers. Reservations although accepted by both internet & telephone may not be honored. Additionally, as far as food they had gone from serving memorable delicately cooked Spaetzl & Weiner Schnitzel in year 2012 to being complete clueless & heavy handed as a restaurant in year 2014. We would not recommend this as a restaurant & would never return.