Sunset House Bed and Breakfast
US$228
US$221
GardenInn.com
  • Pool
DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont(Burlington)(Great Value!)
US$187
ComfortInn
US$208
US$187
Homewood
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Stay Away!!! I have stayed at hundreds of B&B's all over the world in the past 30 years. Most were wonderful, a few just pleasant, 1 or 2 just so-so, but I have NEVER experienced such uncalled-for RUDENESS as by this proprietor. My advice: RUN, do not walk, AWAY from this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2008
7  Thank Allen S
Reviewed 1 November 2007

Sunset House is downtown with off street parking, and walkable to all the major downtown activities.

However, this is NOT a bed and breakfast; these are guest rooms. I had to search the medicine cabinet to find leftover hotel shampoo bottles (did the owners actually swipe a half dozen bottles from a stay at a Sheraton to use at their place?!?!?). Then, there was a bottle of hand soap in the bathtub to use as the community bath soap.

Breakfast is self serve coffee, bagels, cold cereal and OJ. Owner was nice, but there isn't much hospitality at this place.
This is a tough write-up, because this place could be better - you just get the feeling the owners are only in it for the money.

A friend stayed on the outskirts of Burlington at a much nicer place, but then paid cab fare in and out of town, so their total cost for a night was comparable with mine, but with a much better experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank withliberty
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Sunset B and B. The owners were decent, the place was clean and very comfortable, and the location could not be beat.

After reading some of the previous reviews and comments, I cannot imagine how anyone could come up with such nonsense. Remember, a b and b is someone's home. Arriving at 11 PM is a bit extreme, since many people in that trade have to wake up with the sun. Most b and b's are pretty concise about their check-in and check-out policies. Stay more or less in the guidelines, and everything will be okay. Also, the part about somebody getting ill from a smell? The rooms were spotless and odorless (and I have super-sonic smelling ability)!

A bed and breakfast is quite different from a hotel. If you want a more intimate, homey experience, stay at a b and b, but understand that nearly all b and b don't have large staffs to accommodate your every wish at all hours of the day and night; that quirkiness is part of the deal and charm of not going with a big chain. If feel you need more than what a b and b will provide, then please, by all means, stay in a hotel. Don't ruin people's way of earning a living because you need more than what is being offered.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank irishoatz
Reviewed 10 August 2006

My partner and I arrived at the B&B and were met by the owners whose first concern was that we remove our shoes in the foyer so that guests didn't track through the house and cause them to have to clean more. Meanwhile, the husband was walking through the living room using a cordless shaver.

The next order of business was that they wanted their money. (We had sent a deposit for 1 night six months earlier and later followed up with an e-mail stating that we would be staying only 1 night, not 2.) The owners said they didn't get an e-mail and that the 1 night rate was greater than that for multi-night stays. We paid them the difference in cash and then, shoeless, went up to our so-so room. We were shown the common kitchen area where we were told guests served themselves a continental breakfast.

Before leaving the B&B, the husband again grumbled at us about not receiving any e-mail from us. Later, as we walked through Burlington, the owners called us on my cell and called us liars about sending the e-mail and said we were trying to cheat them. After a harsh exchange of words, the call ended and we went back to get our passports, etc. for fear that the owners would tamper with our belongings.

The next morning, we got up early and left shortly after 7am, receiving no breakfast. Later, in Montreal, we received an e-mail saying that they had in fact received our e-mail regarding changes to our stay. The e-mail went on to tell us to stay somewhere else if we ever visited Burlington again! I suggest the same for anyone visiting Burlington... there have to be better places.

25  Thank atltiger
A TripAdvisor Member
Northampton, MA
Reviewed 8 May 2006

I just got home from Burlington this evening.

We went there two days ago. We reserved a room for two nights at the B and B. We arrived late at night ( but owner was expecting us at that time) and rang bell and knocked but the owner was asleep and unable to hear us. We had to call from a nearby gas station to wake her up so she would let us in.

The house had a strong smell of candles or potpourri or just too much plain old air freshner. All drawers in our room were lined with old newspaper so it smelled really dusty or old. most all the surfaces in our room were covered with the owners little odds and ends obviously left as an attempt to decorate the room. Because of this it was hard to put our stuff down anyplace because the drawers were not really usable either.

The worst part was the effect the smell of the house had on my health. the perfume or chemical like smell clung to our clothing and hair. It made my asthma act up within about twenty minutes after arriving. Asthma attack was so strangely sudden we had to leave a few minutes or so after writing a check for 240 dollars for two night stay and giving it to the owner.

We didn't touch the bed or move anything. We left immediately without contacting owner because our main concern was in getting me out of there and into normal air so the asthma reaction would subside. We hastily grabbed our stuff and got out of there as fast as we could. It was the middle of the night and the owner had just gone to bed. We had to act quickly to attend to my health issues. We therefore chose not to waken her and just left our key on the table and planned to talk with owner about the check in the morning.

I called first thing in morning to explain what happened. The owner expressed no concern for us and offered no apologies or even simple courtesy when we spoke. She began questioning me as if we had done something bad to her personally and were not telliing the truth about what happened. She insisted there was no odor.

I asked her if she would rip up my check and she would not agree to do it. She refused to rip up or return my check. I ended up telling her it was not right for her to cash my check and keep my money if we didn't even stay at her hotel. The check was also for two nights of lodging and it was wrong for her to think that she deserved 240 dollars from us under these circumstances. I left my shoes there too and she wanted cash in return for them. I know this sounds unbelieveable but it is a fact! She finally returned them after I kept insisting she had to return them and that she would get no more money out of us! I felt like calling the cops seriously!

This experience really put a damper on our trip to Burlington. Exposure to the smell from the house for that short time made me so sick I had to take extra medication and made it so that we ended up sleeping half the day the next day at another hotel- out of exhaustionfrom driving around Burlington at 1:30 in the morning trying to find a hotel with a room.

The owners insistance that she had been "inconvenienced because she waited up for us was ludicrous! Her behavior was truly shocking. It is sad that our first trip away together in over a year had to be contaminated with such a negative experience.

Lukily we found the Sheraton down the road and for the same money we got a clean room with our own bathroom, a pool, fittness area and a surprisingly great restaurant just downstairs. Most importantly they people there were really kind to us.

Stayed: May 2006