“Great location though campground has some issues”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burlington
North Beach Campground
BOSTON, MA, USA
“Great location though campground has some issues”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We generally camp here every year around Labor Day. This place is decent assuming you're fine with the long list of rules and speeding golf carts everywhere (at all hours!).

Making a reservation will require 30 minutes or longer. Expect busy signals but keep trying. Once I got someone on the line, they took my reservation but messed up something with the computer so everything had to be done over.

When you first arrive and check in, you will be escorted to your camp site (in case you're too stupid to find it on your own). The escort will point out the boundaries of your site and let you know fires must be extinguished by midnight.

The reason we come back every year is the location. It's close to downtown Burlington and the Burlington bike path. You also get access to a beach where you can rent kayaks etc.

We've had pretty decent luck picking out camp sites. I've only stayed on tent sites so I can't comment on the RV/trailer sites however some of the RV/trailer sites seem to be almost on top of each other. My biggest complaint is that the sites are very close to each other and lack privacy.

Bathrooms are generally clean. I think for 50 cents you get 6 minutes in the showers. Expect long lines in the morning; there are only 3 showers in the men's room. Be sure to bring your own hand soap -- no hand soap is provided in the bathrooms.

Trash cans and recycling bins are located throughout the campground conveniently (for both campers and wildlife in the area).

There is an airport nearby so planes fly over the area, even early in the morning.

Our last visit was one to remember after we were confronted by security at the front gate around 9PM. After grabbing drinks and dinner on Church St, we tried to re-enter with a car full of 5 people. But, we only brought 2 car passes. Be sure you bring all passes with you if you plan to arrive late. Since we were missing 1 pass, we were interrogated for several minutes and the rent-a-cop finally let us through but said he would stop by our site to verify the pass. 30 minutes later he stopped by, verified the pass, and went on his way. The guy was really rude to us but I can understand they don't want unregistered guests entering the campground.

Room Tip: Sites 122 - 137: There is a fire ring on the sites but no cooking grate. Sites 129-132 seemed really...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank 2007sonata

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The North Beach campground is very good. The negative comment that someone posted about it being a 1.5 mile walk to the beach clearly demonstrates the exxageration this person was experiencing when he/she wrote it. The walk is minutes (like 3 - 4 minutes max IF you are crawling on your hands and knees) from any one of the campsites. We have stayed there, and it is quiet, and the bathrooms are on par with any great campground. The tent sites are close, but that isnt a problem - you are just a couple minutes to a beautiful beach, a 10 - 15 walk to the Burlington Waterfront Park, and conveniently located near a hardware store, a grocery store, a laundry mat, a fantastic bagel place, a retail pharmacy store, and a great little pub.

You will not find any other place to camp with the beauty of the lake and the Adirondacks in the distance. Whoever is posting the negative comments is just a negative person and wouldnt have a different opinion if someone rolled out the red carpet for them.

You wont be disappointed by this family friendly campground-ever!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ricky404
Bristol, CT.
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We just got back from there, did not see or experience any of the problems mentioned. staff seemed nice but a little stressed most likley becuase they are so busy all the time. It is a public campground run by the Burlington parks dept. (not privately owned, or state run.) so they have to follow the city rules, (campfires out by midnight, no fires on beach etc.) The bathrooms were average for cleanliness, seeing how many people use them a day, you are in the woods so there will be some bugs and stuff in the bathrooms I've never been in a campground private or state where there were'nt bugs and some spiders on the ceilings or walls. the sites are kind of close but considering the place was full it was pretty quiet. my only real compliant is that you can't control the temp of the water in the showers really hot thats all you get, after being at the beach all day in the sun I prefer a cooler shower. We had a great time there, i don't way all the negative reviews I didn't see it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Lebanon, NJ
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I hate giving only one star but this place really is terrible. I booked this place originally without consulting Tripadvisor (Doh!) and would have cancelled except for their very strict No Cancellation policy. There are no refunds under any circumstances.

When I called to book the reservation, I should have known what I was getting myself into. The woman on the phone was nice enough, but I asked if there were campfires allowed on the beach and some man barked into the phone that NO THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED. She then told me about the no cancellation policy, which I decided to book regardless because we needed a place to stay. I decided since it was just my husband and I, only staying for 1 night, we could tough it out no matter how bad it was. It was only $25 for one night. Obviously though, you get what you pay for.

We arrived and the woman sitting in the booth didn't greet us and just told us to go next store. Check in went smoothly enough. There are signs all over the main office saying what you aren't allowed to do. There's no kegs allowed there by the way. It definitely wasn't welcoming or inviting.

We went to our campsite, #29 I believe, and when other reviewers say that they are small... WOW they are SMALL! Our campsite barely could fit my small compact car and the picnic table. My husband and I both just started laughing because there was a huge drainage ditch running right through the middle of this site. There was literally no flat place to put our small 2 person tent. Even if there was a flat place, we would have been a stone's throw away from the next tent on the adjacent site.

We ended up leaving and booking a hotel. This was place was the pits. We didn't check out the bathrooms/showers so I have no comment there.

It seems like whoever runs this place is just trying to pack in as many sites as possible at the expense of having a good experience for the camper.

Only pro is that the campsite is 1.5 mile walk to down on a beautiful bike trail.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OliveOil0906

Travellers are raving about these Burlington hotels

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2012

REALLY? I understand that no matter what campground, Vermont seems to enjoy charging for showers! Disappointing.....but when my husband and I were leaving, we drove over to Grand Isle State Park....the bath houses there are the same way....and don't plan on using your hair dryer....it will trip the circuits.....
North Beach has a very nice beach area for swimming...and the camp sites themselves are not bad....but I tried to reserve only shaded areas for our tent....and our site was not....Also, when we asked to move to the one next to us(shaded)....we were told it was reserved....and NOONE was ever there.....It was also, VERY crowded......not much between each camper....
RELATIVE to other states, camping in Vermont is not something that even compares....Camp at any NEW YORK or PA or NC campground, and the bath houses are so much nicer.....with lots of activities planned.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Wanda917
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Camped with Dave, and agree - one of the worst. I am from VT and have camped a bunch. Staff is rude, bathrooms, particularly showers, are dirty (when I say dirty, I mean bugs....lots of them.) . They run the place like a military camp, and rely super heavily upon the threat of 'the police' to do their dirty work. After our stay, we talked with a friends who were escorted out by police because they were quietly talking after midnight. . Why? if someone asked you to leave a campground, wouldn't you just do it? Why get the police involved if the guest just voluntarily leaves? Huge waste of taxpayer money. Huge pest problem. We also were in the field that abutts (wait for it...) a graveyard and a junkyard, and had raccoons and skunks through our site. Staff said it happens because 'we are in their home.' Yes...a junkyard. Exactly.

Room Tip: Not really very many 'great' sites...Perhaps not right next to the junk yard would avoid som...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Joy S
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This was by far the worst camp ground I have ever stayed in. To start, I was told our site was the best in the grounds; site 134. It was located right next to the dumping yard and a unsitely wood fence was along 1/4 of the site. I have backpacked and camped in many places throughout the country. I have never had a pest problem quite like this. There were racoons, skunks and possums roaming our site all night. One night, I attempted to scare a racoon from scratching at my tent. I admit, I was loud in my efforts as the animal showed no fear of me. The next day I recieved a letter from the parks manager, Al Linnell, to see him immeadiately. He informed me that he recieved complaints of my roudy behavior and told me if he wanted he could have me removed from the grounds via police escort. When I atempted to explain to him what had happened he brushed it off like I was lying. He was very rude and told me he was going to charge me an extra $10 a night for a small pop-up tent I set up for my son to play in and an easy-up I put up to stay dry in rainy weather. When I told him I would not pay the extra money he pulled out his cell phone and began to call the police. At this time my son began to cry and he put away the phone. What kind of manager treats campers with such flagrant disrespect on a family vacation especially with a child right there. From that time on the entire staff was rude and made my family very uncomfortable. Not to mention there rules were over the top and the security acted as if we were part of a worker release program. I was a long time resident of Burlington and was greatly looking forward to returning to place I once called home. This campground did not represent what I came to love about Vermont. If you are looking for a real VT experience there are MANY other campgrounds that will better serve you. Take from me DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank dave s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington

Been to North Beach Campground? Share your experiences!