“back to the fifties without trying”

Auer Family Boathouse
Ranked #32 of 75 things to do in Burlington
Burlington, Vermont
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“back to the fifties without trying”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The Auer Family boathouse is a great stop along the Burlington bike path and it's about the mid way between Burlington and the Colchester Causeway. I suppose there is a way to get there by car, but I couldn't begin to tell you how. The food (from a fairly limited menu) comes out at whatever pace they're working on that day, and the ambiance looks like something out of your parents' (or grandparents') era. But the experience of sitting out on the chairs drinking a soda waiting for your burger while gazing across at the Adirondacks is priceless. They also rent kayaks I believe and maybe a canoe or two, but I have just used it as a stop on my bike. BTW, you can easily miss it...here's the hint: right before you get to the bridge on the causeway, there's a steep little path to the left (if you're headed north) that leads to Auer's.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank bbrodie

New England
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Family Run, Family Loved”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The folks that run this little snack bar by the side of the bike path have weathered floods and winds time and time again. If you love charm and a throwback to a simpler time stop here for a snack. Sit on the dock and watch the world go by. Time stops here.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank LindaVNewEngland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Perfect end to my holiday”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Auer family boathouse was recommended to us by a friend, who had grown up around the area, and have had family members even tying the knot there.

We wanted to do something relaxing and different on the last day of my holiday before returning to Edinburgh,Scotland, and I'm so glad we went there to hire a row boat. Christine was such a wonderful lady who helped us with our needs, and was extremely friendly, advising us on the best place to row as it was a slightly windy day. We got the boat for a really cheap price, and she even gave us a little extra time too.

We went up the river, and basked in the gorgeous sun, taking on the calmness of being on water. Of course I tried to row the boat, but failed miserably. My boyfriend however, turned out to have a knack for it, luckily!

I want to thank Christine for her wonderful customer service, and for the pencils she gave us as a departing gift! I really hope you can come to Scotland at some point, and also that I can come back and visit. I left Vermont with a lot of fond memories, and this was definitely one. Thank you so much!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Cef1
Burlington, Vermont
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Old school service, old school prices, great location”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our kayak renting experience today was one of those "I should write a tripadvisor review" moments where you have such a great experience that you want to tell others about it and want the business to do well.

Even if you ignore the interesting environment, the better pricing (than downtown), and the fun food options...it's an amazing place to drop-in. You can go up the river or head towards around to the bay.

Visited September 2013
Longueuil, Canada
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A trip into a quieter Time”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I used to go to the boathouse when the parents Charlie & Ida were in charge and am still going with my family and friends for a one day picnic to visit Christine & Charlie (Chuck). When visiting you can treat yourselves to delicious hamburgers and other snacks, sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery, rent a boat or kayak or go fishing. Everything is available there as well as a history lesson from either Christine or Charlie. There is a walking/cycling trail up on the hill that goes from the city of Burlington to across the Winooski River. If you go there once, you will definitely want to return.

Visited August 2013