“Expected heaven on a plate.”
Review of Bove's Restaurant - CLOSED

Bove's Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Burlington, Vermont
“Expected heaven on a plate.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My sister lives in S. Burlington, raved about Boves. I ordered the lasagna with garlic sauce, white. I have roasted garlic at home - wonderfully sweet. This was barely palatable, sorry to say, only way to describe was quasi-fishy due to overbearing strength. Pungent, rigid globs of half roasted whole garlic, like anyone could do . Not what i expected. Serving was large, good buy for that but terribly disappointed with the "best i ever ate" garlic experience. Was decent as leftover two days later. I can do roasted garlic much better in my own kitchen. I so expected better.

• Visited June 2014

Staten Island, New York, USA
“Not so good”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We decided to try Bove's after seeing reviews and hearing it was on Bobby Flay. We also like hole in the wall restaurants.
Maybe we're just spoiled by our families' Italian cooking and the amazing restaurants in NY, but were were not impressed with Bove's.
First, it took three glasses of soda to find one that didn't taste weird. Then, we were given white sandwich bread and frozen butter. I ordered the cheese ravioli with the marinara sauce. The raviolis were the Celentano like brands you find frozen in the supermarket. The sauce, oh the sauce. Tons of garlic and other spices we couldn't figure out. But the garlic was overwhelming, and I like garlic. The sauce had no texture, it was puréed to death. It was also bitter. I've honestly bought jar sauces better. My husband got the lasagna. While it was put together nicely, oh my god, the garlic! Between the sauce and the pieces of garlic inthe lasagna itself, it was just too much. He also got a meatball, and once again, garlic.
The waiter was very nice, but very overwhelmed, I'm not sure anyone was helping him. He'd be taking orders and someone from the kitchen would scream his name until he went back there.
Sorry, cannot recommend.

Visited February 2014
Waterville, Vermont
“Always Delicious”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been coming to Bove's forever and the sauce is always amazing. This visit was on a Friday night at about 5 PM. The restaurant was just picking up, with the tables getting more full as we ate our meal, but not packed. Our server was very friendly and suggested different options. My boyfriend and dad both got chicken parm with spaghetti with garlic sauce and a side salad. The side salad was typically sized and great with lettuce, onions, cheese, and delicious salami. However, they both agreed that the spaghetti and garlic sauce was the best part of the meal and said if they came back they would skip the chicken parm (it wasn't breaded or crispy as they expected). My mom tried the manicotti, which again, she liked but LOVED the side of spaghetti and sauce more. I got cheese ravioli with meatballs and loved it. I remember the meatballs being delicious and they didn't disappoint. The meals were every reasonably priced (about $10 a meal) and an excellent value considering the amount of food. Very important- they only take cash so come prepared :). Come to Bove's for the sauce- it's the best part of any meal!!!

New England
“The oldest place in town”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

If you are into going back in time in your dining experience, then Bove's is your place. It's not expensive and very informal. The decor has not changed in 60 years and that's not an exaggeration. The Italian-American cuisine is simple and "the sauce is the boss" here. It's a Burlington institution. White italian bread, a plate of pasta and a soft drink. It's like sitting down at grandma's kitchen table for a bite. Simple and nostalgic.

Visited November 2013
“Loved it! ”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Amazing red sauce. And our waiter Grayson was awesome... We had a great time and great food. Def will return next year