“Not quite worth the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Vermont

and 1 more site!
Hotel Vermont
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
“Not quite worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

If luxury is in the details then Hotel Vermont misses the mark. The theme is lovely eco-chic with interesting design, so simple things like a missing waste can in the bathroom were perplexing. Initially we liked that each floor had a centralized water/coffee/tea station rather than the usual Mr. Coffee per room. That is until we tried to sneak out for a cup of tea in the morning and found a line of guests in various states of dress (bathrobes, pyjamas, workout gear) embarrassed and waiting in line with their mugs. It's worth noting for guests that mugs are not replaced each day, so if you had coffee in the morning, you'll need to rinse your mug (sorry, no dish soap) if you'll want tea before bed. Hotel Vermont is centrally located and we found it easy to walk nearly everywhere we wanted to go. We heard nice things about their bar patio, but with so many places in Burlington, we never stayed in. We elected to self park rather than valet when we learned both use the parking garage connecting the hotel and Macy's. Be warned, however, that the garage isn't patrolled and doesn't have cameras. While we stayed there we heard a number of guests' cars were broken into overnight. It may be that Hotel Vermont is still experiencing some growing pains that they'll overcome. I overheard a valet complain that it was his job to fetch cars and to keep the coffee stations on all floors stocked and he felt the conflict sometimes kept his customers waiting. We later learned that many of the sweet details we enjoyed - a snack platter of Vermont cheeses out for guests, orchard apples in the lobby for a quick snack, and knitting classes - were only perks for a university parents' weekend. For the cost I imagine there are better views or that you could get comparable service for much less at a nice B&B.

Room Tip: Some top floor rooms have a slight view of the lake. Keep blinds down as many buildings are close an...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Occhiperonde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Lovely hotel! Lucy at the front desk is amazing, insightful, respectful, and very accommodating! Highly recommended for any visit to Burlington!
***This is a month overdue***My boyfriend and I randomly decided to take a trip from Montreal to Burlington for the weekend and ended up having the most memorable and wonderful trip of our lives! Upon arrival to the city we decided that our number one mission was to find a hotel. After having discovered that there was a music festival (Grand Point North) in town we realized that such a task was going to be a difficult one. We started our search online looking at various discount sites and found nothing. Finally we hit the pavement and stumbled onto the Hotel Vermont. I walked into the front lobby and was immediately greeted by a kind doorman and wonderfully welcoming foyer. The decor is so very Vermont, woodsy, bright and welcoming. At the front desk is where we met Lucy. She had such a lovely and warm disposition that we immediately felt as though THIS was the hotel we were going to stay at. We explained to her that we are a young couple and celebrating our anniversary but don't have a ton of money but we love to stay here. She went right work searching for rooms at a reasonable price and together we all found a price that seemed fair and we wouldn't be too much out of range, you can use your AAA or CAA membership and get a discount, SWEET! Being eternally grateful we checked into our lovely room. As I have said earlier, this hotel truly embodies everything that I feel Vermont is. My boyfriend is a lumberjack and so we LOVED the theme of the place, the plaid robes, the branch pencil, the beautiful plaid throws on the bed, the list goes on; simply gorgeous. We unpacked and went to soak in the beautiful city. We took in the festival, took in the amazing waterfront, took in some awesome vintage shops and records stores before returning to change and head out for supper. We got in and were greeted by the wonderful Lucy again who waved at us a said, "Good evening Alex and Alex"(our names, which had become sort of ongoing joke amongst the 3 of us, again she was so warm we felt so familiar with her), on our way out she directed to Church St and assured us we could find an open kitchen (it was late-ish, we're from Montreal and kitchens usually stay open until midnight or later) and a great meal along there. She was right, the meal was amazing! We went to Sweetwaters and ordered the mussels and fries with a chicken gorgonzola salad to split, AMAZING! Highly recommended restaurant, everything else looked amazing too, and the produce and meat is all local, so also another bonus! After our amazing dinner we walked down to the waterfront and chatted about how content we felt to be away from our crazy busy lives, we both work around 75hrs a week each, it was nice to have a break. As we were enjoying the waterfront my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed! The perfect end to the perfect night! As we floated back up the street to our hotel in complete bliss the town was slowly closing down and so were we. We fell asleep that night in our wonderfully comfortable beds, grabbing a tea from the 24hr coffee, tea and spring water bar located on every floor, before crashing. The next morning at check out, we were greeted by the wonderful Lucy again and told her that we were going to name our first daughter after her, it a such a sweet name and if she turns out half as sweet as Lucy we will be ecstatic! All in all, wonderful experience, wonderful town and wonderful service. Thank you Lucy!

Room Tip: You can use you AAA or CAA to get a discount. and We loved Lucy!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was so excited to stay at this new hotel in my hometown. I booked as soon as it opened for a foliage weekend and followed their blog. I received an email the dat before my arrival showing the cost for two nights was over $1500. My heart racing, I anxiously looked up the confirmation email I received 6 months ago and it was half that amount. When checking in, we were told it was a computer error and they apologized.

We checked in later in the evening and the lobby was extremely loud because of the live band and bar scene right in the lobby area and we had a hard time communicating with the workers at the front desk.

The decor of the hotel was amazing! There was a nice area by the elevators on each floor with a Keurig machine and free Green Mountain coffees, hot chocolate, tea. Also, there was cold filtered water - both flat and bubbly, and a bucket of fresh apples. Nice touch!

The room was modern which can sometimes feel cold, but that was not the case. The room had a nice uncluttered warm feel, with nice touches of Vermont . The bed was extremely comfortable and we went to bed feeling happy with our choice of accommodations.

This is where we began to notice the not-so-nice points to this hotel. As I have noticed has been mentioned in other reviews, we were woken many times during the night. Whenever the air conditioning turned on there was a bang and a very loud initial rush of air that sounded like a wind storm had just erupted in the room. After this it was just white noise, but it happened ALL night and kept waking all 3 of us. On the second night of our stay we turned it off so we could sleep.

After showering in the morning, my daughter and I noticed that the modern bathroom mirrors and lights were horrible for applying makeup, and a magnifying makeup mirror common in other hotels was missing. A full length mirror was also missing. A mini fridge would have been handy to store the Vermont cheese we bought at the farmers market too.

I thought this was going to be my hotel of choice for all upcoming visits to Burlington but I am sorry to say that I would stay at the downtown Marriott before staying here again. I was disappointed.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Having a child at UVM, I often am in Burlington...and have stayed at the various chain hotels there (Sheraton, Holiday Inn, etc.)...all of which are very mid-scale or worse.
This hotel is a BREATH OF FRESH AIR right in downtown Burlington...new and very well done. The staff is also GREAT - greeting us by name as we approached the front desk. Fresh apples out for the guests, wonderful Keurig coffee machines on each floor for morning coffee/tea, great breakfast in the restaurant, fun evening cocktails in the lobby with live entertainment, etc.
The price was high...but during peak weekends (like Parents Weekend when I was there), even the (not so nice) Holiday Inn wanted $300 for a room!
Best place in town - and I will definitely make this my future top choice in town.

New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We ended up staying at the Hotel Vermont by accident over July 4th weekend. We were staying with a family member, and realized that the house was not livable (walls were covered with bugs). We were searching for hotels at 12 am and the Hotel Vermont was the only one with a vacancy. But, don't take that as a bad sign.....the hotel had just opened and many did not know about it. We ended up arriving at the hotel at 1:30 am and the staff could not have been nicer. They felt so badly for us, once hearing our story, that they gave us free breakfast passes for the next morning. The breakfast was absolutely delicious....had blueberry pancakes with fresh maple syrup. Yummy! We loved the hotel! The rooms were very rustic, but nice and clean. As mentioned in other reviews, you are only a couple of blocks away from Church Street, you are right next to Macy's and a short walk to the lake. Excellent location. The one con, which is more of a city con than a hotel one, is that you are in a "party" town with bars all around. Right outside of the hotel, there were several spots where people had thrown up. Very, very gross....it took all day to be cleaned up and hard not to notice every time you walked by. However, that was not the hotel's fault. Other than that, we had a great time and will definitely stay there the next time we visit family. We lucked out finding this hotel last minute and are very grateful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We go to Burlington regularly, and I was so excited to try this new hotel. The design is interesting- with clean lines and contemporary feel- but the hotel cheaped out on some of the finishes and details, and for the price- management should know better than that. The customers to which they cater are more savvy. The bellmen have the attitude that they aren't there to open your car door, or really do anything other than wave you along the driveway. The front desk people are friendly- but when I tried to book a reservation on the phone- I was told there was a waiting list of 52 people. I was able to book online- no problem. When I arrived - they told me that there were "a few rooms left." Hunh?? I was told that I had a sweet- and for the outrageous price I expected two rooms, but it's a standard double room, with a view over the Macy's parking lot. If I crank my neck I can see Lake Champlain. The bathroom is standard Kolher fare- there is no full length mirror, no makeup mirror, a rounded shower curtain rather than a glass door, no take home bathroom amenities, no slippers or bathrobe - no mini bar.. They have water and coffee available near the elevators- with apples that all three of us noticed were soft. he problem is that they are charging luxury prices for good pillows - clean rooms, and very slow wifi. I waited 15 minutes for coffee this morning ( breakfast not included ) the waitress seemed overwhelmed and comped the coffee. My son asked for sausage and got bacon- I asked for plain oatmeal, got some sort of cinnamon. Syrup. The hotel is near the center of town, beyond the bus terminal, which is creepy at night. But you can walk to the shops, restaurants, and the water. And that was worth it for me- this time. But I do feel ripped off. come on Burlington- fix your hotel situation!

Room Tip: Ask for a view oft he Lake on a high floor.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gculu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

we have made burlington vt an annual wedding anniversary trip and decided to try the new hotel vermont this time. definitely a great experience and will come back. the rooms felt more like an apartment than a hotel which made it feel very at home. having actual glassware in the rooms to use in the communal coffee/tea area on each floor was a nice touch.

the staff was very friendly and responsive. the only drawback is that if you want a wide open lake view you will only get a partial view just due to where the hotel is positioned on the street. we could see the lake from the whirlpool tub and open air shower though which was pretty cool. not sure about some of these negative reviews but i say give this place a shot, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: upper floor rooms have partial lake views. if that isn't important to you, skip it - the rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 13 in South Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 13 in South Burlington

Been to Hotel Vermont? Share your experiences!