“Exceptional dining”

Ranked #6 of 248 Restaurants in Burlington
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2018

My wife and I dined here for our anniversary. We had attempted to make a reservation about 1 month earlier and were initially told they were fully booked. October 6th (Saturday) was in the middle of a busy weekend in Burlington, VT. A few days before we arrived in Burlington the restaurant called to say a reservation had become available.

We were seated immediately upon arrival. Our server provided us with menus, and a short while later came back with two glasses of Cava, a light sparkling wine from Spain. It was because they heard it was our anniversary -- how nice! The drink was yummy.

For our "small" plates, we ordered the calamari and the crispy rabbit. Both were excellent though my wife and I both agreed the crispy rabbit was the best. I'd have been happy with two orders of it in fact.

Instead of ordering a "large" plate each, we opted instead to share one of the "Family Style" dishes, a 16-ounce grilled ribeye steak. It included two sides -- we chose the roasted potatoes and the smoked cabbage. We enjoyed it all.

For dessert we ordered a small sampling of little bites. Considering how full we were from everything else we ate, the tiny portion was perfect for us.

I don't remember the name of the wine we ordered. It was a merlot cabernet blend from Napa, California. Very good choice.

Note: if you are considering hotels in Burlington, know that the Courtyard Marriott is next door to Hen of the Wood, and the Hilton is right around the corner in front of Lake Champlain. You could literally stumble from hotel to restaurant in seconds. :)

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Amazing dinner for two. Plates are very shareable and wine selection is top notch. The ambience was exactly what we were looking for from a Vermont getaway.

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Be careful if making a phone reservation as trip advisor had the number for the other location as they have 2 locations. Food was good and they had an early bird oyster special. No off street parking.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

They take reservations online. Small restaurant- minimum seating. Excellent food , drink and service, but expect to pay top dollar.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Others give this place rave reviews, but not me and several of my friends. Creative menu items for sure, but wayyyyy overpriced.

Date of visit: August 2018