“Stay Away - Discrimination Central”

Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
Portland, Maine
“Stay Away - Discrimination Central”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Never actually got to stay here.

Tried to get a room at 5:30 in the morning after a work shift, visiting friends in the city. Walked in alone, tried to book here is how to went down;

I inquired about a room to which Tom at the front desk was totally responsive and friendly - we even exchanged small chat about his home town and mutual people we know. He told me it would be fairly pricey, but given the time I said I understood, and would go check with my friends and be right back up to book! I was so happy to have a room, knowing there were a few events in Burlington that weekend!

Return less than 5 minutes later, with my two friends, all of our luggage, and was like Tom we have a deal - let's book it! And he cowardly goes, "uhh that room is full, we are completely occupied tonight - try Hotel Vermont".

To which I was curious and asked for an explanation - he wouldn't give one, just simply said nope were full - judging the looks of the three of us at the given time. When I asked for his last name so I could call corporate he just kept saying "uhh it's Tom, just Tom". 100% discrimination, after he had been happy to help me book, and then saw us and said absolutely not.

I hold a preferred membership with Marriott Courtyards (Starwood preferred guest) and stay at them all over the country as I travel lengthy distances for business. Never have I once been treated so rudely and flat out discriminated against. I am in the process of filing a claim with Marriott Corporate (to which I know two very higher ups) which they are responding very positively. Tom from Torrington, CT at the front desk, will certainly not be surprised when he is asked for an explanation of this. I also have been in touch with the Burlington Police Department in order to resolve this, and see if this will be considered a discrimination case against us.

I wouldn't waste your time at this Marriott - shocking considering every other Marriott branch I have stayed at, has been great. Must be a fluke in the system. The area is littered with hotels - find a new one if you want to be treated right, and stand up for those who aren't.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Sarah B
ChristianKuzia, General Manager at Courtyard Burlington Harbor, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Sarah B,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience with us.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that we may speak further.

Warm Reagrds,

Christian Kuzia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Visiting family in Burlington many times we have stayed at several of the hotels in the area and this is one of the best. It's newer construction and hence more modern than some of the other options, though it is sometimes over-priced since it is "on the lake." (The way it is situated there are many rooms that do not have views of the lake.) But the location still can't be beat because you can walk to all the downtown attractions. We especially love the Farmer's Market nearby on Saturdays. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed, The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I'd stay here more often if the price were just a bit lower.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Quechee, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times. We are always struck by the views of the Lake from our room -- majestic. The hotel is comfortable but not elegant. The staff is exceedingly polite, helpful and efficient. The location -- near Burlington's outdoor mall, Church Street, city hall, the federal court, city library, City Market and many other attractions. The restaurant is being remodeled. The bar is small. Breakfast is usually included with the room.
Overall it is the best place to stay on the waterfront.

Room Tip: A room on the lake side is a must.
Green Features: The mens bathroom on the first floor contain waterless latrine; don't know about the women's.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Can't say enough about this hotel. It's a very nice property in a great location, close to the Lake and all the activities on Church. Lots of good things to say about the property - nicely appointed, touches of VT in the food offerings, very comfortable, etc. - but I was struck by just how good the staff was during my stay. There is construction going on in the hotel, particularly in the dining area. A challenge, but the staff was very helpful and made all the arrangements necessary to be sure guests' stay go off without a hitch.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Courtice, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We drove to Burlington for some shopping after a few nights in Stowe. There was a major snow storm and many shops closed early. Luckily, we had a great hotel! First thing the kids noticed at the front desk? Cookies! When we arrived, we decided to upgrade our reservation. The front desk was very helpful with this and we were soon in a one bedroom suite with kitchenette and living area with a pullout couch for the kids. The hotel restaurant was undergoing renovations, but no matter as there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. The bar/ lounge area near the lobby is comfortable with a fireplace. Everyone was friendly, the beds were comfortable, there is coffee available in the morning, the valet service is reasonably priced (you can take your car in and out as needed), the pool is open relatively late (the kids love that), the internet service is included and pretty fast, Best of all? We had a suite for the same price as a room at the Hotel Vermont next door. We look forward to returning in the summer as we understand that the view of the harbour is fantastic but we saw only snow on our visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Yeah, I was somewhat disappointed. On this trip across Vermont, and NH, I stayed in four hotels, this, a Comfort Inn, a Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn. This was the one I liked the least which was a surprise since Marriots are usually my hotel of choice. I knew when I booked it that the restaurant would be closed and that maybe not everything would be up to snuff but there were issues.
My room was pleasant, with a partial view of the frozen lake. The downside appeared after I unpacked, showered and was bedding down for the night. I went back into the backroom and was aghast that the whole side of the bathroom was flooded. It was a stall shower with a fixed glass door. I could not understand at all how water got out of the shower (in hindsight, I had heard dripping and wonder if it came from above). Anyway, I mopped, called maintenance and advised they check it out the following day. Then I found a housekeeping issue. Called, emailed photos, and while they could not rectify it, they made good. All too much effort.
Staff were very nice. Very good at local food suggestions.
Free coffee in the morning by the elevators. Was thankful because after all that I had not slept well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CSSnowshoer
Ashley C, General Manager at Courtyard Burlington Harbor, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear CSSnowshoer,

thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expecations during your stay. Our apologies with the issue in your shower. We will most certainly look into this problem, and take care of it.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Christian Kuzia
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I do not have any particular complain. It is the standard "hotel" with standard services and standard amenities. Thumbs up for the location, you can reach Church Street in 5 minutes by walk. On the other side, you are in the waterfront in 30 seconds.

Perhaps, if they really want to improve the service, they may include a shuttle service from/to the airport.

Room Tip: Pick a room with the lake view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Courtyard Burlington Harbor? Share your experiences!