“Old fashioned in a good way!”
Review of G.G.T. Tibet Inn

G.G.T. Tibet Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
Massachusetts
“Old fashioned in a good way!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This motel is immaculately clean. Not much seems new, retro bedspread and look to the room, but everything is completely serviceable and comfortable. Good water pressure, heat, comfy bed. A one night stay didn't require a refrig and microwave but there they were! Very pleasant staff; quiet respectful Asian vibe.Well located for the Shelburne Museum (don't miss it!) and Burlington. I thought the price of $136 was on the high side, but between leaf peepers and Parents Weekend people for all the colleges, I probably didn't pick the best weekend for a cheap trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A surprisingly nice motel in a convenient location in Shelburne VT - a few minutes from Burlington.

I have to agree with the positive reviewers of this establishment, and frankly wonder about the negative ones.

Regardless, I want to concentrate on the positives. On reserving the room the day before, the owner was pleasant, cooperative and helpful. We arranged to check in the following day, and I was impressed with his concern that we might check in after 11:00 pm, as the office was closed then. I got the impression that he would have given me the room key then, but the room was currently occupied, and he couldn't. Although I assured him I would check in before 11, he insisted in proposing several alternatives, including giving me his home phone number in case I needed to get into the room... (apparently he considers the guest's needs before his own hours). Not to put this to the test, I checked in early the next day, successfully and without problem.

Before going on further, I need to explain a little. This is a family owned motel. Run by the husband and wife, who do most (all?) of the work, so it's evident that personal pride and ownership form a significant part of the equation, and may explain any sensitivity that they might display - after all, risk to their business is a personal and family risk. The 'personal shrine' referred to elsewhere was intended as an educational display of Tibetan culture. I wish I could have seen more of it, but it was closed at this time.

The room was larger than many in this price range. King bed, A/C, Fridge and Microwave, Wi-Fi and Flat screen TV. Free phone (3 calls).

Really clean looking everywhere - incl. the bathroom. While getting on in age, the hotel was well maintained, and the evident care of the owner was present in most areas. Dresser drawers all had liners. Bathroom grout was all there, not mildewy and done neatly. The fridge worked well, and was clean with all parts present. I didn't use the microwave but it looked functional. Towels and bed linen all were clean and fresh. Really clean and fresh. (The negative comment re washing of the linen is incorrect - the owner (in his folksy way) was recommending that guests sleep under the sheets, as the blankets and bedspreads weren't washed every day. This shouldn't be news to any experienced traveler - even the Marriott doesn't launder blankets every day (or sheets if you're staying more than one day) ;-).

The breakfast (basically just coffee and a bagel) was a bit of a disappointment, but it was enough to get us on our way, and the great night's sleep I got in that comfortable king bed really started our day off right anyway.

The highlight of the stay was the hotel guide. I've never seen the like. Interesting rules, curious instruction, and a fascinating history of the owner. I'm going to leave the details for the next traveler to discover on his own... ;-)

I would recommend this motel to any traveler interested in an economy room - none better so far in my travels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 199Gerry
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We recently stayed here while we were visiting friends in the area, the inn itself is pretty straight forward. I felt that for the price we paid (and in summer) it was a great deal as the rooms comes with fridges and microwaves and having the option to use the pool is nice. I will say I was very impressed with the friendliness of everyone I encountered, paying more doesn't always mean better service. This place is in a great location and perfect for anyone who plans to be out exploring for the day.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Malcolm L
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I read the reviews about how horrible this place is, but it was the only place I could afford as I was on a cross-country road trip so I went for it. What a great place! The owner was very nice to me, the place was clean and quiet. I had a room on the first floor on the end and the window opened up to some trees. The room itself was small but included a well-working fridge and a microwave. It's only a 5 minute drive from the lake and all the cool downtown shops and restaurants. I didn't use the pool but it looked clean. My only (super minor) complaint was that the vending machine was unplugged or not working. But when you're so close to downtown and plenty of stores nearby, who really cares? I would definitely stay there again! You can't beat the prices, and it's MUCH nicer than anything in that price range usually is!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Encaitare
Ireland
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here four days while visiting the States on a trip to Canada. We read all the reviews and we were a bit dubious about making the reservation but we went ahead and made the reservation because it was by far the least expensive place to stay and as it was only for four days we felt we could survive.
On arrival we were VERY pleasantly surprised with our room which was very spacious, had two very comfortable double beds, aircon, flat-screen tv, good-sized bathroom with clean towels every day and well serviced. There were additional facilities including a small fridge and a microwave oven and also an ice machine in the corridor outside. The fridge was extremely useful to store food and drink and the microwave to re-heat some food we had, however, there are no plates or cutlery supplied so we bought some paper and plastic ones. We were never disturbed by any noise during the night and slept comfortably every night.
The hotel is easy to find as it is on the main road to the south of Burlington. There is a small swimming pool which itself was very clean however the available sun beds very a bit dirty looking but serviceable. The hotel is not far from downtown Burlington and also close to University Mall, which proved to be a great place to shop.
The owner is Tibetan and friendly and gave us some good tourist advice. Maybe the folks who report that they found him unfriendly were unfriendly to him in the first place.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to anyone who puts value and cleanliness ahead of expensive frills and unnecessary opulence.

Room Tip: I am disabled and requested a room on the ground floor. This was supplied and was also very close to...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank hhardinge
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Basic rooms, nothing to shout about, cheap owner a bit surly, based on the reviews here id say they are right on par, not a bad place though, owner is just a bit odd, but you get what you pay fir at the end of the day

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank steadyfoodie
Walden, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This review was written after our stay and after considerable thought. My wife and I have never considered writing a review of any experience bad or good but this place warrants our input. The owner asked us if we are clean people,instructed us to make sure we do not dirty the room,he also wanted us to monitor the shower time as to not waste water. Well is this a hotel or his own home ? In this business risk is the order of the day you win some and loose some.The Pictures of himself that grace the halls seem to be a shrine unto himself. Such vanity I advise avoid at all costs this establishment as the owner and his wife are Rude,and very frightening borderline SICKO'S I believe he should return to Tibet where he can feel more at home being supervised by the Chinese

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
13 Thank Edward K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 8 in Burlington

Been to G.G.T. Tibet Inn? Share your experiences!