“Wonderful cheese, but it's certainly a good thing they don't charge children!”

Cabot Visitors Center & Tour
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Cabot
More attraction details
Owner description: Location where Cabot cheese and other products are made.
Providence, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful cheese, but it's certainly a good thing they don't charge children!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife and I went to the Cabot Visitors Center during our summer vacation but I am afraid we will be no longer making any visits which I think is unfortunate. We were very disappointed at the unusually sour reception our children received from our otherwise particularly disinterested tour guide Lisa and the way they were treated by her when they wanted to see what was going on in some of the windows that were being described. My young son's keen interest was met with an abrupt "he can't be there!" (one of the only things I could actually hear during the whole tour since we were at the back). I finally resolved to carry our smallest child on my shoulders so he could at least see since he is only 2 years old. However, this was met with an another abrupt and abrasive "he can't be there either" (it is only the very last leg of the tour by the exit where signs advise to be careful with children on shoulders and the pipes that run below the ceiling). To top it off when our children were enthusiastic about the things in the store she lost no time in scolding them with "No running" as soon as my wife was out of earshot. In short, we were made to feel somewhat unwelcome as a family, a burden it would seem. I would at least recommend making the tour accessible for children so they can at least see some of the things that are going on in the factory. It's a good thing they don't charge children!

2 Thank michael527527
Wendy S, Social Media Manager at Cabot Visitors Center & Tour, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
We're sorry for your experience and are disappointed that you felt unwelcome. Thank you for taking the time to review. We appreciate all feedback - positive and negative. Your experience is contrary to the feedback we receive on an ongoing basis and we take all feedback very seriously. We love having visitors. All touring the Cabot Visitors Center are invited to take this educational walk through a working factory. Safety, while in the cheddar hall, is our tour guides' top priority. It is a handicap accessible area and we hope everyone will enjoy seeing how some of the “World’s Best Cheddar” is crafted. The hall is shared by many workers, pallets, and often small forklift moving dairy products. Due to this activity, no steps are allowed in front of the viewing windows.

Bourne, Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“great time”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Well worth the trip- tour was very informative, our tour guide, Maria, was fantastic, and the samples of cheese were delicious. Highly recommend to everyone.

Ashburnham, Massachusetts, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Vermont trip”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This was so good. They showed a film. Very educational. Watched them making and packing cheese. Best part you could taste almost every kind of cheese they make.......mmm.....good. And you can buy some cheese to take home from the store. Kid friendly.

Port Richey, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This was a great stop. We enjoyed ourselves and got to try so many different flavors of cheese. This was one of my favorite stops. I would defiantly recommend making a stop here it is well worth your time.

Cary, North Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Quite fun”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Nice tour that lasts about 30 minutes. They use hormone free milk from local dairy farms

The end of the tour is a buffet of cheese samples and were they good !