“FANTASTIC STAY” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Castleton B&B and Inns
Point Pleasant
“FANTASTIC STAY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

Our friends toured B&B's in upstate NY and VT last year, and reported to us that the Applewood Manor B&B was THE BEST. We booked our trip early, and our stay was FANTASTIC. From the time we arrived to view the grounds, the building, and meet Ralph and Nancy, we knew we were "home". The inside is even more spectacular than the outdoor views. We always enjoy B&B's, but Applewood Manor will be at the "top of our list". We're already planning our next trip north, and plan on making this our "home" in New England.
Paul & Bobbi Di Corcia

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
salemoregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed at Applewood Manor three nights while attending my daughter's graduation from nearby Middlebury College. I just wish I had discivered this place earlier in her college career. Built by one of the Green Mountain Boys after the Revolutionary War, it has lots of period flavor. Each room is named after a member of the original family . The rooms are beautifully furnished and very clean. The breakfasts were delicious and the hosts offered me tea the night I arrived. They could not have been more gracious or accommodating. I would recommend this B & B to anyone, but especially to Middlebury College families searching for a place to stay for graduation, parents' weekend, or any other time when rooms are scarce in Middlebury--or even when they are not! It is a 45 minute drive from the college, but it's a straight shot down route 30 from the CFA building and its big parking lot, so it's an easy drive. Well worth the extra time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

We were told that this was the best bed and breakfast in the world and that's what it is. We were in Sarah's room which was lovely with the most comfy bed. The property itself is gorgeous and has been beautifully renovated by Ralph and Nancy. Breakfast was delightful, with baked breads, fruit and then a 'main course!' We were able to sit outside and Nancy brought us tea and cookies and a beer/glass of wine in the early evening.
All of this and the price was very reasonable-we had paid more for far less luxurious stays. All in all-we stayed for 2 nights but wishe we could have stayed for more! Hoping to come back for skiing soon!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

This was my second stay at Applewood Manor and I can wait to go back. Nancy and Ralph are the most hospitable, attentive innkeepers. All the rooms are unique and immaculate with best beds ever for napping or sleeping in. Worth a detour or an extra day's stay for such a special place. Did I mention that breakfasts are delicious and beautifully served and that you will want to eat a second piece of the lemon cake?

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

My boyfriend booked Applewood after reading the superlative reviews on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to find everything as described. Noah's Room was very spacious (though the one across the hall was more my style-- I peeked in one morning). The hosts, Nancy and Ralph, were the perfect B&B hosts-- gracious and unobtrusive. Nancy served us tea on arrival on the gorgeous back porch.

I have special dietary needs and they were happy to accommodate me, despite short notice. I also had an 8am train to catch and they served an early breakfast for my benefit. We made the mistake of skipping breakfast the first day-- believe me, you should find time to eat here.

My only qualm with Noah's room was that it was a little chilly, even during the daylight hours, despite being an uncharacteristically warm May in Vermont. That said, I never asked the hosts about warming it up, so perhaps there's an easy way.

I'm not from the area and we didn't spend any time in Castleton since we had things to do in nearby West Rutland, but it seems like a charming town. One nearby attraction I highly recommend is the old marble quarry.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

Ralph and Nancy are friendly and accomodating hosts. Not only is the stay relaxing, but if your in the mood for lively conversation, they are happy to engage. I encourage anyone traveling through Vermont to stay at least a couple of nights and enjoy both the outdoor environment and the charming B&B. Ralph (great cook) and Nancy (very funny) will be glad to provide honest suggestions about activities in the area and the best places to visit. You will enjoy yourself so much that you will wish you could stay one more night.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
ithaca, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

What a fabulous 4 days I spent at Applewood Manor. It was my first stay in a B&B and I am forever spoiled. Nancy and Ralph made every part of my stay with them something to remember. The rooms are beautiful and spacious and the beds are so comfortable that you just don't want to get up in the morning.
Ralph prepared all the breakfasts which were fantastic. And Nancy is the perfect inkeeper seeing to every need with grace and charm.
I feel like I have made new friends.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleton
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites Rutland - Killington
Holiday Inn Rutland/Killington
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 12 in Rutland

Been to Applewood Manor Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!