“The Best B&B We've Stayed At”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castleton
Applewood Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Castleton B&B and Inns
California
“The Best B&B We've Stayed At”
Reviewed 22 June 2007

My husband and I needed accommodations in Castleton so we could attend my step-daughter's graduation from Castleton State College. I did some research on the Internet and finally stumbled on the Applewood Manor. I've discovered that a website communicates a great deal about a property. If it is attractively designed, then usually the b&b is also appealing. I fell for Applewood's website, the descriptions of the rooms and house making me eager to book in there. We weren't disappointed.

Nancy and Ralph have transformed this residence, dating back to the 1700s (they're only the fourth owner), incorporating the original feel of the place into their renovations. I've never experienced so much attention to detail. The whole house is a treasure. Antiques fill each room, contributing to the beauty of the place. I wanted to linger and look at each piece, from the lovely guest parlor on the main floor and the dining room where breakfast is served, to the guest rooms. Each one has a distinctive color theme and charm.

We chose Hannah's room because of the Kingsize bed, the most comfortable one I've ever slept in. We stayed two nights, and we've never slept so well. Not only was the room a generous size, but the bathroom was as big as most bedrooms. What an experience! I felt we should be paying more than the rate they're currently charging just for the honor of staying there.

We've never been treated so graciously by hosts. It felt like we were truly guests in their house and not strangers seeking a bed for the night. Breakfasts were delicious, and Nancy and Ralph were eager to help us in any way they could.

Our only regret is that we live in California, too far away to make this b&b a regular destination. But if we're ever in the area again, we wouldn't stay anywhere else, and we can highly recommend it to others. Castleton and the Applewood Manor provide a great home base for exploring all the beauty that Vermont offers.

• Liked — The graciousness of the inn and the hosts.
  • Disliked — That I don't live closer to it.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London
Reviewed 17 June 2007

We recently spent 2 weeks in New York and the surrounding area, spending 2 days in Vermont (a personal dream come true for me!). As we were travelling in the off-season, we weren't booking anything in advance, instead using various brochures we picked up along the way and picking places that looked nice and fit with our budget. This is how we came across Applewood Manor B&B. It looked nice and the location worked well. Nancy greeted us at the door and with no prior warning (not even a phone call), rushed to accommodate us - the pictures in the brochure don't do this place justice - it was immaculate, charming and tastefully done. So many B&B's we had stayed in managed only a chintzy feel, not a true New England feel, but this was beautiful, luxurious and really quite glam. I fell in love immediately - it was my perfect New England B&B and exactly what I was hoping for. Nancy and Ralph (and their gentle dog) were great hosts, friendly and attentive while giving us space to enjoy being in the house...our room (Noah's room) was gorgeous with possibly the biggest bed we've ever seen (it was super comfortable and we slept like babies), a bathroom the size of our flat in London and everything we could possibly need (including steps to help us clamber up to the super high four poster bed!)...we also had use of a lovely guest lounge area that led out to a pretty, comfortable porch area where we sat and had a pot of tea and some lovely bisuits on arrival...the breakfast room was a beautiful dining room with a roaring log fire first thing in the morning (it was a bit nippy early in the day) and a super breakfast cooked by Ralph including locally produced maple syrup - just lovely. Nancy also reccommended a great place for dinner on our first night (by the river where we watched the sun set - so romantic) and a very pretty walk that we did on our way out of town (Castleton by the way was a delight - general store selling absolutely everything, cute diner and some very impressive colonial architecture). She and Ralph ensured that our stay was as relaxing and as easy as possible and they let us stay in their beautiful home in a beautiful town in Vemont - we felt very lucky, very spoiled and very happy to have happened upon the Applewood Manor B&B. I've been reccommending it to everyone I know and can't wait to go back. Thanks Nancy and Ralph for a wonderful stay!

• Liked — The accommodation itself
  • Disliked — We didn't stay long enough
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Rach28London
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleton
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Holiday Inn Rutland/Killington
Marble Mansion Inn
Marble Mansion Inn
#3 of 3 in Fair Haven

Been to Applewood Manor Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!