“Poor quality food, Very good service”
Review of Castle Restaurant

Castle Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Cavendish
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“Poor quality food, Very good service”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a beautiful place! Our expectations were high. However, this restaurant hit a few highs but mainly lows. The highlights of our night were the bread, winter salad, quail, and turnips. The rest of the food was pretty awful: shrimp cocktail with not so fresh shrimp; undercooked, fatty rack of lamb; overcooked, tasteless duck; waterlogged cauliflower; tasteless carrots, and some potato thing that was reminiscent of a school lunch in the 1960s. Finally, the German chocolate cake was unimpressive, warranting only a few bites. Also, our waitress kept asking if we wanted everything peppered and if we needed salt (as they do not put these condiments on the table---why not?). But she was attentive and helpful overall, offering to take back the duck and have the chef make something else. That wasn't necessary because by that point, we wanted the disappointing meal to end. Simply, we would not go back.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Carrie057

New York City, New York
“Terrible, sad I wasted money!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I HATE wasting money. Like all VT spots, it is a quaint and charming restaurant. The food was so bad. I mean SO BAD! There are many better options in vt, probably not in the Ludlow area (with the exception of the downtown grocery). I ordered from the pre-fixe. It was a relatively expensive 3 course meal, but it the food was good, it would have been good value for money. I want to give this place the benefit of the doubt because it was right around Thanksgiving time, but the waitress was not pleasant. I hate seeing food wasted and luckily my boyfriend was hungry (or maybe drunk) enough to eat it. I ordered a salad to start, it was soggy and not made with high-quality ingredients. I then had the tilapia -- again awful. So dry, legitimately tasted like rubber even though it is a delicate flakey fish. One positive thing was that the sautéed veggies were delicious! But then again how hard is it to mess up carrots, onions, salt and olive oil in a frying pan? I know I sound mean, and I don't mean to be because I generally speak quite highly of places or specifically do not review them, but I really hope that it was just because it was thanksgiving and everyone was tired. I wish I could say I want to go back and try again, but unless the meal is free, I am not giving them my business!! It is a very romantic spot so maybe go for a cosy glass of wine, but avoid the food!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank wanderlust32793
Manchester, Connecticut
“Wonderful night with my wife”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Intimate, quite, and peaceful venue, we talked without disruption.
Ordered 3 course meal and dessert, all fantastic.
An initial problem was when the soup came out without any bread. Shortly after that a basket of steaming bread was placed on our table, "fresh out of the oven."
We were both full but when the desert plate was shown to us, well we had to have some.They tasted as good as they looked.
Great spot for a romantic dinner.

• Visited December 2013
boston, ma
“Good service, mediocre food, overpriced”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Lovley dining area and attentive staff. There is no a la carte option, three courses - dessert is extra. Portion sizes are large but had no real flavor or appeal.

• Visited October 2013
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Good Chef/Bad Chef”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I guess the best part of going to the Castle was the building itself, truly beautiful . Unfortunately the meal never came close. It was as if we had two different Chefs preparing our meals. The bread rolls were excellent, hot and crispy crust, flavorful inside. The lobster/crab bisque was terrible and it was sent back. It had the chemical flavor of canned crab meat, as well as being too salty. The caesar salad replacement had very nice fresh greens but lacked enough dressing. A good sized portion of medium sized mussels came in a very flavorful broth, which could have stood on it's own. The escargot were equally as flavorful.
The beef wellington's pastry was a bit doughy and the meat a bit on the dry side, it should have been better. The lobster tail was the best of the entree's, nicely seasoned and moist. The scallops
looked great, but they were also overcooked and dry, not horribly so but enough to spoil what should have been a terrific treat. The sirloin strip also looked great, nicely browned/blackened outside slightly red in the middle. Surprise! The chef managed to turn a beautiful looking steak into one that had a mealy almost sawdust like texture. Guessing , I suspect that parts of our meal were prepared the night before and reheated. For desert, the chocolate tort was excellent, as was the coffee.
The Castle may be better at other times, but that doesn't make my experience there any better.
Summation: beautiful building, friendly waitress, elegant dinning room, worth the expense, serving
some excellent items along with some overcooked items, not close to being worth the money.

• Visited October 2013